SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > how to repair a very tiny hole in a t-shirt? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
how to repair a very tiny hole in a t-shirt?
bookwormbethie
bookwormbethie
Intermediate
GA
Member since 6/6/10
Send Message

Date: 1/25/13 11:29 AM

hi y'all. i bought an awesome t-shirt at target the other day on clearance for $2.98. it wasn't until i got home that i noticed on the back of the t-shirt (above my shoulder blade) that there is a tiny hole. the hole is really tiny, probably 1/4" long and less than that in width.

i'd like to repair this hole as i'm concerned that if i just do nothing the hole (or snag) might get bigger or worse as the shirt gets repeatedly washed and dried.

i'm wondering what the best method of repairing this tiny hole in the t-shirt would be. the t-shirt is a cotton/poly blend.

should i use a small piece of lightweight fusible interfacing cut in a oval shape (to help prevent peeling) an affix it to the inside of the shirt? i'm just concerned that eventually the glue will loose its oomph as the t-shirt is laundered repeatedly and/or the glue might bleed through the fabric......

should i just find some matching thread and darn over it? i'm just concerned about poking tons more holes around the actual hole. not sure if i have an exact color match in poly sewing machine thread, but i'm sure i have a close color match for DMC cotton embroidery thread.

tips or ideas for repairing this tiny hole in my t-shirt for me????

------
www.bookwormbethie.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/bookwormbethie

rubbecca

rubbecca
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

Date: 1/25/13 12:21 PM

I have repaired tiny holes in t-shirts before. I would iron on a small piece of fusible interface to the back side of the hole to stabilize it. Then I would darn or use satin stitch to close up the hole.

------
Janome Sewist 509
Rebranded Kenmore 19233/Janome DC 5100
Janome MyLock 644D
Janome CoverPro 1000CP
Brother PE 700II (traded)
Brother DreamMaker VE 2200

lca
star
lca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 6/4/07
Send Message

Date: 1/25/13 12:42 PM

As above, or fray check will keep it from getting bigger.

Quickie
star
Quickie
NETHERLANDS
Member since 10/8/10
Send Message

Date: 1/25/13 1:17 PM

I would mend it by hand with just tiny stitches in a matching color preventing the running down of stitcheas and than I would make a not of the beginning and the end of the thread on the inside of the fabric
-- Edited on 1/25/13 3:22 PM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/25/13 2:48 PM

I machine embroidery over boo-boos and then add a few more to distract the attention away from the repair, which usually cannot be found once the stitching has been completed.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 1/25/13 2:56 PM

I have repaired tiny holes in DH's tshirts before. I also used small stitches and carefully matched thread. The repair was nearly infisible when I finished, and I am, by no means, an expert at mending.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

bookwormbethie
bookwormbethie
Intermediate
GA
Member since 6/6/10
Send Message

Date: 1/25/13 3:29 PM

thanks for the tips everyone. looks like i'll be doing some hand stitching. i assume i should use the kind of thread that i would use in my sewing machine (i.e. poly gutterman) and not DMC 6-strand cotton embroidery floss (which I would separate into single or double strand).

do any of y'all besides the 1 commenter above, also use lightweight fusible interfacing in addition to the hand darning stitches????
-- Edited on 1/25/13 3:29 PM --

------
www.bookwormbethie.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/bookwormbethie

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to bookwormbethie <<

Date: 1/25/13 4:10 PM

I also would use very, very lightweight fusible. Since I have done a type of machine embroidery called 'free motion,' I'd probably also gently hoop the reinforced fabric, use fine machine embroidery thread, drop the feed dogs, and lightly stitch over the hole, imitating the knit stitch pattern (kind of like penmanship loops) rather than using something like a zigzag. There's a nice illustration of the general technique on youtube here.
-- Edited on 1/25/13 4:17 PM --

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to bookwormbethie <<

Date: 1/25/13 5:07 PM

I haven't found the fusible to be necessary and unless it was uber lightweight I'd be afraid it would stiffen the fabric and/or show through to the right side.
If you have a darning egg, that could be helpful as well.

-- Edited on 1/25/13 5:08 PM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/25/13 6:43 PM

A sweet old lady called the other day, asking me if I'd fix a sweater for her. Thinking the worst, I went to pick it up and noticed the only problem was a very small hole near the shoulder. She wanted it darned. So, I grabbed my darning egg (you can use a penny, flat) and some thick cotton thread and "zigzagged" by hand over the hole. All was done in no time. Did I charge her? No. Too easy and too sweet of a lady.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> how to repair a very tiny hole in a t-shirt?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Butterick 5496

photo
by: slmstyle

Review
SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.