SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > clothing patterns for 1 yard of fabric ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
clothing patterns for 1 yard of fabric
1 yard patterns
charid dawn
charid dawn
Beginner
Member since 1/3/13
Send Message

Date: 1/27/13 0:19 AM

Hoping to compile a list of clothing patterns that only call for 1 yard of fabric since I find the best deals on fabric that is barely over a yard.

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to charid dawn <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/27/13 0:29 AM

There is a book called "One yard Wonders", if you check amazon or barnes and noble or google it, you will probably find it. The one I looked at came with patterns too. A ton of ideas and projects.

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 1/27/13 0:48 AM

The Colette Sorbetto, or any sleeveless simple blouse. Pencil skirts, depending on your size. Shift dresses, again depending on your size and height.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

Date: 1/27/13 5:45 AM

PR held a one yard contest last summer. Maybe some good ideas in the archives.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 1/27/13 9:52 AM

All one yard lengths are not the same. Neither is the size of everyone's bodies. But if the fabric happens to be 54"inches to 60' inches wide instead of only 45"inches wide, you do have quite a bit more fabric to work with often then. So maybe go for looking for fabrics that tend to come in the wider widths too.

If 54"-60" wide I can most times get a straight-ish skirt out of it, more so if it has a facing on the top of it and not a set on waistband. I can't do that with pattern shapes and ease and grain lines and everything else on only 45" wide non stretch fabric most times.

One yard of 60' inch wide knit though, could be all sorts of tank tops, maybe even some with a short capped sleeve. A swim suit, a tube skirt, a nightgown or strapless tube beach dress or something like that.

Also the pattern layouts don't always show the very least amount of fabric it takes to make something. Sometimes if you fool around with and change the layout a bit, you can sometimes manage to get something out of a bit less even. More so, if you decide to piece some places, were they did not. If you are shopping the remnant tables and that is why only 1 yd left on them there like that, maybe think about combining some of them together into the same garment, color blocking and such is in now, and you could have several fabrics combined into the same garment or a T-shirt made of one knit and some different knit for the sleeves or such.

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
SC USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to PattyGee <<

Date: 1/27/13 9:55 AM

Quote: PattyGee
There is a book called "One yard Wonders", if you check amazon or barnes and noble or google it, you will probably find it. The one I looked at came with patterns too. A ton of ideas and projects.

I've seen this book at our library with the patterns included.

------
Carpe diem!

PetitePear
PetitePear
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/10/10
Send Message

In reply to PattyGee <<

Date: 1/27/13 2:03 PM

Quote: PattyGee

I only flipped through it, but if I remember correctly, it has very few garments. Unless you count aprons...there are lots of those.
HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AZ USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 1/27/13 2:45 PM

Oh yes do look at last year's One Yard Wonders -- Aprons, skirts (depending on your waist, hip measurements), Blouses, hats, purses, pillows -- oh my TONS of stuff to make with just 1 yard!

Good luck

Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/27/13 3:28 PM

For spring they are showing simple, but dressier T's with the yoke part above the chest made of a contrast fabric--silky, lace, or slightly different contrast shade to the body. So you could use a 1 yard for the bottom and remnants for the yoke.

susandf
star
susandf
Expert/Couture
AZ USA
Member since 4/30/11
Send Message

Date: 1/28/13 0:38 AM

New Look 6937. The sleeveless version.

------
The Destashification Project - Stash Couture!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> clothing patterns for 1 yard of fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

BurdaStyle Downloadable Port Elizabeth top

photo
by: MadeByMeg

Review
Victory Roxanne Paper Pattern

Victory Roxanne Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)

Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.