Member since 3/26/09
Date: 1/28/13 8:33 AM
My parents bought me the Elna 664 as a gift. (Yay me!)
They say I can upgrade to the PRO model for and extra approx $150, but I want to know if it is worth it. (Since I'll have to fork out for the upgrade)
While both models include:
• Instant rolled hem device
• Self-threading lower looper
• Maximum speed of 1300 rpm
• Color-coded threading routes
• Cutting blade
• Adjustable foot pressure
• Snap-on presser feet
• Telescopic thread antenna system
• Electronic foot control
• Exclusive Elna accessory box
• Dust cover
The PRO version has these additional features:
• Built-in program reference panel
• Automatic tension release
• Built-in 2-thread converter
• Tilting needle clamp
• Front cover safety system
• Pre-tension slider ( 3/4 - 2 thread )
• Waste tray included
I realise that these things are hugely subjective, but is there any reason why I'd need to upgrade to the PRO version?
Besides the program reference panel and the tilting needle clamp, is there anything that I should be aware of that makes the PRO version that much better?
I also need to go for lessons, and I'll be able to compare the two then, but my summertime social calendar is preventing me from getting to lessons for the next three weeks. So I thought I'd ask you ladies for input.
Member since 11/5/02
Date: 1/29/13 10:18 AM
I sell both these machines at the store I work at. To me the "Biggies" with the Pro are: the tilting needle clamp, the ability to do 2-3-4 threads. It does have that "advisor" on the front that suggests what settings etc to use but it does not set them for you-you must do it yourself.
To me, the biggest factor would be in deciding if you will use the 2 thread feature. The Pro can do 2 thread plus everything else the 664 can. I use the 2 thread when I stitch on elastic before I coverstitch it down. Less thread=less bulky-ness. Also for 2 thread rolled hems on fabrics where you do not want as much body in the hem.
I would go get the Pro-because you will have the 2 thread there is you need it and get the bonus of the tension adjuster and the tilting needle clamp--which I find VERY helpful!
Member since 3/26/09
Date: 1/30/13 1:45 AM
Thanks Mrs Moos, that's exactly the sort of info I need!
A feature applied to a practical application.
It's not very helpful when the sales lady can't really tell you why you need the feature.
* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Elna 664 vs Elna 664 PRO