SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Regional Communities > Fit issues in Minneapolis/St Paul ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fit issues in Minneapolis/St Paul
micheleb
micheleb
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/30/13 10:45 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to connect with one or more people (a small group would be great) in the twin cities to work on fit issues--accurate measurements, pattern adjustments, muslin adjustments, making duct tape doubles, etc. I'm open to ideas and I'm not an expert in any of these topics so you don't have to be either. I'd just like to learn and share together so we can all get over the fit hurdle faster and with better results.

If there is any interest to this post, maybe we arrange a time to meet and get this party started~~~~

Michele
-- Edited on 1/30/13 10:46 AM --

Ejhill
star
Ejhill  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 2/14/05
Send Message

Date: 1/31/13 7:52 AM

Great idea! Here in the northwest portion of Michigan's Lower Peninsula, we call ourselves the "Fashionistas." We got started about 10 years ago when the owner of a now closed independent fabric store allowed us to use a back room to meet. Since then, on the first Saturday of the month, 10 am until about noon, you'll find anywhere from 8-20 of us gathered to share pattern do's/dont's, fit, websites, fabrics, etc. For the last 8 years, we have gone away to a local resort for a weekend retreat --intense sewing, if you will. There is no charge to participate in the monthly meetings; we split the fee to rent two large rooms for our machines and cutting tables, irons, etc. among those who attend the retreat.

I know that Treadle Goods in St. Paul (on Grand) has a group that meets there on a monthly basis, and they do the same thing as our Fashionistas. However, they charge a small fee. Our son and his family live in the Twin Cities, and no visit is complete without a run to Treadle Goods.

I hope you can get this off the ground, as it is the most enlightening group of women I've been around. We have engineers, nurses, teachers, retirees, young women who are learning to sew. Each meeting is a delight. We are now meeting in the back room of a local Husqvarna Dealer -- they love having us there and don't charge us to use the space. They extend a discount to us the day of our meetings. When the local Bernina dealer found out about our meetings, they tried to lure us to meet there! A little bit of competition never hurts.

I just bought a serger for my granddaughter from Creative Sewing there in Wayzata. I know they have several MN locations, perhaps they would be willing to 'sponsor' you by giving you free space. Surely they have a room somewhere for you to meet in. They could put postcards at the cash registers at all their stores, even include your group in their ads/newsletters. If they're not receptive, drop the name of a competitor and see if it gets you somewhere!

Good luck and keep me posted, won't you? I'll be in MN over Valentines Day and plan to take my granddaughter to the Harris warehouse (Maple Grove?) as well as Treadle Goods. I found Harris's the last time I was there and was blown away! This time I'm going prepared with a list.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 1/31/13 8:09 AM

OOO! Jealous of your group, should be a franchise.
Only thing we have here is ASG, which is all quilting,
and another that faded away when newcomers just wanted
others to "fix and finish" their mistakes.

Also wonder why some cities can have alternative fabric warehouses
and other have nothing but JA's, Hancock's, or WM? I remember Minnesota Fabrics from years ago, is that an offshoot?

beki b.
beki b.  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 7/11/11
Send Message

In reply to micheleb <<

Date: 1/31/13 8:50 AM

Treadle Yd. Goods is an excellent resource. Also check with the Textile Center on Univ. Ave. for classes you might be interested in.

micheleb
micheleb
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

In reply to Ejhill <<

Date: 1/31/13 3:51 PM

Thank you for the encouragement and advice! It sounds like the Fashionistas are great resource and inspiration. I've always noticed that many of the brightest and most creative people are garment sewists.

Sewing clothes combines engineering problem solving and creative self-expression in the most interesting ways and the more you study it the more interesting it gets. I've been getting interested in machine knitting (a little different but on the continuum) and been blown away at the differences in yarns and how those differences manifest in different cloth, and how the different cloth impacts fit and style. Clothing construction is just fascinating, I think.

Here in the twin cities we are lucky to have some great resources like Treadle and the Textile Center; and S.R. Harris is always a mind-blowing experience--dangerous for those on a "fabric diet". I'm planning on taking a sloper class at Treadle this Feb-March and I think this will really move me forward on the "fit" front. Treadle has many, many wonderful classes though and their offerings seem to be getting better and better all the time--more diverse, more interesting, something for everyone and at every skill level.

I'm hoping I can find others who are similarly interested in fit issues to continue to explore this side of garment making. To me, fit is the critical piece of garment construction because the best design, the finest fabrics and the most accomplished execution of technique are wasted on a poorly fitting garment. It also seems like good fit is getting pretty rare in the RTW world and even amongst sewists it sometimes seems to a little neglected, especially with plus size sewers (which I am). So I hope to find fellow fit enthusiasts to explore the art of good fit.

Best...Michele

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

Date: 2/22/13 5:07 PM

I would LOVE something like this. Classes are fine but the camaraderie would be amazing.

I'm in Plymouth. I am completely up for a once a month meet-up or something

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Laurie Lou
star
Laurie Lou  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/16/05
Send Message

In reply to micheleb <<

Date: 2/22/13 5:27 PM

What part of the cities ae you in??? I'm in Bloomington. I have a great ASG group and we do all sorts of garment stuff. We even did a body double class.

------
Laurie Lou

solveg
star
solveg  Friend of PR
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/16/12
Send Message

Date: 2/22/13 6:50 PM

I'm in Roseville and would be up for meeting.... I won't be back in town until May, though.

Sharon M
starstarstarstar
Sharon M  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 8/3/02
Send Message

Date: 2/22/13 8:30 PM

I'm in the southern suburbs and would be interested in a monthly meet up too, but unfortunately I'd have to do weekends. Between my day job and evening commitments, my spare time during the week is pretty limited.

Actually, I was just thinking it's about time for another local meet-up! A number of us got together in Nov. 2011 to celebrate PR's 10th birthday. At that time we all agreed we had to do it again soon. Um, if it's less than two years can it still be considered "soon"? :-)

------
Blog: www.sharonsews.com
Twitter: @Sharon_Sews
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SharonSews
Instagram: SharonSews
Pinterest: SharonSews

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/22/13 10:39 PM

It would totally have to be a weekend for me too! With a full time job and two busy teens my life is crazy!

We should make it happen.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Regional Communities >> Fit issues in Minneapolis/St Paul

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Vogue Patterns 7962

photo
by: Karen Carr

Review
Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.