SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > What technoloogy and programs do you use? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What technoloogy and programs do you use?
What electronic tools do you use in your sewing and quilting?
Scheri
star
Scheri  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/31/13 1:42 PM

I thought this would be an interesting thread.

What electronic technology do you use to help you in your sewing or quilting?

I use so many tools but I will list my MUST have items.

- Wifi tablet, keyboard and case. I use this for everything.

Programs I use

- Drop Box - https://blog.dropbox.com/
store, transfer Projects picture, instructions, notes etc.
- Evernote - http://evernote.com/
Capture ideas, tips, and websites. Catalogue both fabric and patterns. Reference charts for fabric cuts etc.

I take my tablet with me when I am in fabric shops and I can access and add in seconds. Well off for now going to find some things I am going to need for my next project.

What do you use?

------
Scheri Manson
Edmonton, AB CANADA

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

Date: 1/31/13 2:08 PM

I save my finished project photos to Picasa. I use Evernote for pattern cataloging, keeping track of my fabric stash, and keeping a shopping list. The browser clipper plugin Evernote offers is REALLY helpful for all of this. When I buy a length of fabric I clip it, save all the large-scale images and attach them to the note, and make a note of the yardage. If I wash it I tag it "washed", which is very helpful later on! Once I use it I delete it from the notebook. Since Evernote indexes text in pictures sometimes I will do a screen capture instead of a web clip.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/31/13 2:34 PM

Not as many as I should, lol. No hardware or special software, really. Some day I should actually get internet at home.

I use photobucket to upload photos I want to share - which includes stuff for non-sewing forums, in addition to reviews and posts here on PR.

I bookmark tutorials and "patterns" I find interesting (at Christmas I had a folder just for gift ideas) - so I suppose I could say I use Firefox, lol.

I have 2 boards on Pinterest that relate to this - "My Style" and "Stuff I want to make someday." I know there are others (seen on sewing blogs) who devote an entire board to just one project, or one SWAP season. I haven't gotten that organized yet.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/1/13 8:57 PM

I use Smug Mug for my photos. I bought a domain name back in the 90's so that's what I use for my Smug Mug site photos.

I took stash photos of everything last month to put into my albums and I sync them with my iTouch. When shopping I can browse fabric amounts, types, colors, etc and decide on notions that I may see on sale.

I have had an iTouch since 2007 and love it- no phone contract. All my Smug Mug albums sync there and I can take photos while shopping or of ideas of things to make and the photos sync to my Smug Mug albums. The notes sync to Evernote.

I just got the iPad Mini for Christmas but the keyboard is more awkward than my iTouch (which fits into my pocket) in fact the whole thing works very different. I'm not used to it yet so it stays mostly at home. I keep it on the nightstand- love using it to read. I have used an App called Overdrive for the past 4 yrs. I can use my library card and download free epubs, kindle books & mp3 sewing books and podcasts. The iPad Mini is a perfect reader. I just checked out the kindle book named Altered Style by Stephanie Kimura and really enjoying it.

I also have the Craftsy App to log into and watch my classes. Both Craftsy and PR videos can stream to my TV set over Apple TV.

I have one computer dedicated just to sewing. It has a huge ext drive with embroidery and pdf and video files. I record TiVo PBS sewing programs and they get auto streamed to that computer which auto converts it into a file that I can watch on my iTouch or iPad or computers or Apple TV. I tag them by subject so I can find them. I usually go online after they record and I download the pdf files of the projects I want to make.

This year I committed to the Fabric Fast. I put my stash in zipper bags with the pdf patterns/instructions and notions- or a list of what notions are needed. I snapped photos and synced them so if I am out and have money I can go to the photos and double check if I really need the notion that I found on sale or not.

I use Evernote and its great for putting together shopping lists and organzing projects and of course the shopping list.

I also have my personal calendar synced through Google with our Google ASG Chapter. So whether I'm on one of my computers or devices, I can keep tabs on PR classroom chats, ASG webinars, Meetings, Dealer events, etc.

And I signed up for the PR Daily Digest. So I start my morning with tea and my iTouch as I browse the posts.

Guess I am either a technie that loves sewing or a sewer that loves tech. Would be hard pressed to choose.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 2/1/13 9:42 PM

WHAT AN AWESOME TOPIC!!!!!
I am a computer dunce but I am learning!!!!
I just took a computer class and I am flying high!!!!
The instructor...(these "kids" are amazing) was showing us all the cool features in Chrome and yes Drop Box. Something called Delicious? I am envisioning doing my own tutorials for techniques I have figured out. The ability to organize info, scan articles, digital photos with notes...all of it is so exciting.
I will be getting all of y'alls ideas and figure how to do it.
I have heard of Evernote as very useful.
It appears cloud computing has totally revolutionized the computer world and it is only in the last year that this has exploded exponentially.
OK..you computer whiz's I will be taking notes to see what is being used.

I also realize sewing is not sewing anymore...it is a computer that sews. Thus thinking a machine will last 20 years like it used to is ridiculous. Well...there is always the mechanical back up but what these machines can do with computer technology is beyond fun IMHO. I'm IN!!!!!!
If I can put on the dunce cap and ask questions I would be most appreciative.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 2/1/13 9:58 PM

Quote: SandiMacD

Guess I am either a technie that loves sewing or a sewer that loves tech. Would be hard pressed to choose.

WELL SAID!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Marilly
Marilly
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 7/9/06
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/2/13 2:57 AM

We're also one of the few folks who don't live by phones or tablets. Can't justify the cost yet. The only thing I have that might qualify is pattern drafting software. Very entertaining and has helped me talk myself out of getting 90% of the patterns I see because they could be recreated or when broken down, are really similar to something I have already. So I then I use the snip tool to grab a pic or download the instruction pdf and add it to the 'awesome clothes' folder for later ref.
Dropbox is very cool, use it for work only though.
Sometimes I wish I did have a phone that could take pics so I just snapshot the ends of whatever fabric bolt I was buying from so I'd have the content and care info, but lately I buy online or from thrift stores so it's all good. < : )
Shel

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/2/13 7:15 PM

I love thrift store shopping. My phone is a simple Jitterbug. I lived with dial up for years- just got wireless when we moved to FL. Before that I had to go to the library and carry a real camera. Everything synced with a cable to my computer. Oh- and only one TV station when weather was right.
We are happy with our decision to move to FL and connect with technology. But I think we would have been happy staying in the other. There's a lot to be said for peace and quiet. The less stuff available, the less time it takes to keep up with it.

I got a lot more actual sewing done in MT because there was no technology to distract me. It makes me a bit homesick now that I think of it. I mean just my sewing machine, the UPS guy delivering supplies and my dial up PR classes.

------

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/3/13 6:55 AM

I can see both sides of the tech issue. I was totally burned out with technology when I was medically retired from the military. My time in a quiet snowed in MT valley was very therapeutic and I found myself ready to re-engaged with technology.

The timing of this topic is interesting. I joined ASG this year and while our Chapter has some younger members (and engaging in growing youth membership) we are grounded by our 70-80 yr olds.

Last month I began working with our ASG Neighborhood Group Leaders to educate our members on getting comfortable with their computers, devices and the Internet. Of course some are dead set against (or physically unable to use) a computer in their life- they want mailed out Newsletters and Meetings and phone calls. Others are thrilled to find new ways of sharing patterns and projects and communicating changes more rapidly online.

Our challenge is to make sure neither group is left out, that technology doesn't replace our current communication system but compliments it.

At the same time information changes much more rapidly today. Something as simple as a guest speaker can go through 5-6 changes (schedule accommodations, venue adjustments, etc) making a Newsletter announcement outdated before it is even mailed. But updating it instantly on the Internet doesn't help those who can't there to see it.

Anyway, this is a good topic and has helped me to see how others are learning about and using technology in ways that pertain to sewing.

I forgot all about Delicious- I moved on another program. I think many of our ASG Chapter Members will really appreciate using Delicious to find and organize the sites they visit.

------

psew

psew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 4/19/08
Send Message

In reply to Scheri <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/3/13 1:49 PM

I have a rooted Nook tablet and have uploaded all my sewing machine manuals plus other favorite sewing tutorials. It makes for an easy reference tool!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> What technoloogy and programs do you use?

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1949

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

More Info
Maggie

Maggie

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.