SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Pattern sales at JoAnns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pattern sales at JoAnns
Have you noticed the $ limit?
Steffie
starstar
Steffie
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

Date: 2/1/13 8:05 PM

Has anyone else noticed the dollar limit on the latest Joann pattern sales? Simplicity patterns say up to $17.95 are included in the sale. At first I didn't think there were any Simplicity patterns over $17.95, but there are and they are not on sale.

Today I noticed in the upcoming circular that Butterick patterns will be $1.99 each. Below it says regular price $9.99. Similarly, Vogue is listed on sale for $3.99 and underneath it says regularly $14.99. Are there really any Butterick or Vogue patterns with this low of a regular price? I am afraid some folks are going to be disappointed when they bring their pattern selections up to the checkout and find out they are not on sale.

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 2/1/13 8:22 PM

The Very Easy Very Vogue are less than that, I think.

I would say that this might just be a mistake in the flyer. However, the last time I was at Joann, a person in front of me in line was buying a dozen or so of whatever pattern brand was on sale. Two or three of the patterns rang up at full price, and the cashier did not know why. They were trying to get a manager to come over, but at that point I had finished my purchase so I did not find out what the reason was....

------
mmmmm woooool

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/1/13 8:36 PM

You could check with corporate in regard to the flyers reference to the price limitation on the McCall patterns.

That way you will be in the know before making your selections.

Don't rely on the cashier. I had to show one and their customer how to lock the end of thread under the spool cap. They were looking for a notch.

ETA: I checked the McCall' s website. & everything they are showing is $1.99. Link

-- Edited on 2/1/13 10:52 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/1/13 9:25 PM

Interesting... Unless I desperately needed a pattern (how often does that happen?), if it did not ring up the super cheap sale price, I would have to tell them to void it because I wouldn't be buying the pattern at the higher price.

And, that would certainly put a damper on my buying patterns on a whim. Great for zero growth pattern stash Club BVM, even with shipping, would be a better way to go.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

simplystitches
simplystitches
Intermediate
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to Nikki <<

Date: 2/1/13 9:51 PM

If you look at the flyer there is always a limit on the number of patterns at the sale price. Usually it's ten, sometimes five. That would be an explanation for the two that rang up at full price.

Debbie

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

Date: 2/1/13 10:30 PM

I have noticed at my local Jo-Ann's they now have a sign that Buttericks are $9.99 every day. I think this has just replaced how they always used to be 40% off if they weren't on sale.

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<

Date: 2/1/13 10:45 PM

I think you are just miss- understanding it. The signs that now sit on the pattern drawers or table. As that is not the way it works for me, at all, when I go into a real brick and mortar Joann's at all. I go often, and was there even recently. This is how it works instead, at least for me, when I shop there.

Joann's used to a long time ago, have all their patterns at, I think 40% off the price printed on them, when not on special sale. That is gone now. They changed that. Instead they have a white sign at the cutting tables, on the table, that says and means that when not on a "special sale day", all Vouge's, Butterick's, Simplicity's, McCalls or whatever are at one set price (the price on the sign) for each brand kind. Instead of the old constant 40% off. Does not matter the price printed on it.

But when they have a special sale day, and they do that on rotation by pattern brands, and optimally it would be in the mailer and also marked on the actually pattern drawers someplace on those days, then if the brand is Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick, most times they are $1.99 each for just that brand on those days, and if a Vouge instead, it's $3.99 instead.

I do get patterns there often, and how it works out for me, when I shop there. If it did not, we would be having a big discussion up at the "you pay for it" cash register and that has not been happening to me at all. However, if I had to find someone (like a free and not horribly busy store employee) to explain that to me, without actually waiting in the cashier line or in the fabric line to even talk to them about it, not sure if that would ever really happen or not. Because it does seem like they are a bit short handed most of the time. But if in doubt, I think you should do that, and I think it's probably pretty much the same everyplace and works the same way.

I have two of them within driving distance of me. The closest one to me, is not the best one to get patterns at actually. I can only guess it's because whomever has been assigned to take care of that area, maybe is not there full time or even very often. Or just not does care all that much,. It's always a mess right there, patterns miss filed, and even the little cardboard tags with each pattern # that are supposed to stay in the drawers, are often missing. Also some of the drawers actually skip sequence pattern numbers. Last week while there, I knew which patterns were on "special sale" but they did not even have a sign up or the drawers marked. I just brought them up to the cashier, and confirmed there, that they were on special sale, and when scanned in like that, still came out how I was expecting it to. I did tell them they forgot to label the sale on the floor though. That Joann's also takes forever to get any new patterns out and filed.

The other one close to me, but maybe an additional 6 miles away, the drawers are always filed correctly and in good shape, and I have never seen them miss and not post a pattern sale. So I think just different employee's and Management styles at two different stores, and one gets a A plus from me in being on top of things and effort at cleaning up and organizing after messy customers in the pattern area and the other gets more like a D or such in my view on the same thing. If I have time to drive to the farther from me store, I usually go there instead if wanting patterns even, just
because that extra effort on the employee in charge of the patterns there, makes shopping a lot better and more easy for me.
-- Edited on 2/1/13 10:50 PM --
-- Edited on 2/1/13 11:16 PM --

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/2/13 7:31 PM

I was in JoAnn's today. It looks like Simplicity will still by 40% when not on a special sale (like .99). All the McCalls, Butterick, Vogue and Kwiksew are one price. Kwiksew is $11.99 (as they have been since McCalls bought them). All Vogue are $14.99 and Butterick are $9.99. I didn't notice what McCalls are now but the prices are clearly listed on each pattern book (today was a sale so Vogue were $3.99 for Vogue and $1.99 for Butterick). I am not sure what that will mean for sales etc.

Snowblossom
star
Snowblossom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/17/03
Send Message

Date: 2/2/13 9:56 PM

The sign describes it accurately. When I went to JoAnn's a couple of weeks ago to buy some Simplicities on sale, two of the patterns rang up at full price. The cashier called over her manager, who confirmed that the patterns were more than $17.95 and hence not on sale. One of the patterns was a new "Project Runway" pattern ($18.95), I forget what the other one was. Needless to say, I didn't get the two patterns. I don't know if they will ever be on sale.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Snowblossom <<

Date: 2/3/13 12:52 PM

I am wondering why you didn't get those for the 40% off? That is interesting price too because the highest price listed right now for the Project Runway patterns is $11.35 on the Simplicity website. The site isn't giving a MSRP so I don't know if Simplicity is having a sale or not.
My JoAnn's is still selling Simplicity for 40%. This is not good news for those of us who like the Big4. I have a loyalty to them that goes back 40 years-it is probably not justified when modern patterns have so many issues but I do still like Simplicity the best. The higher cost wouldn't be so bad maybe if the draft and fit of the Big 4 patterns were worth the cost. I can find $18.00 patterns (PR sells some on here for example) that are drafted much better than anything the Big 4 have to offer.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Pattern sales at JoAnns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Butterick 5556

photo
by: Kiwi Natio...

Review

Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Baja Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Art Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.