SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Babylock education/educators great! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babylock education/educators great!
How about other brands? Unfamiliar
wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 2/3/13 3:45 AM

Last year, I bought a Babylock Evolution serger. I have a very knowledgeable local (15- minute drive from home in San Francisco) dealer who is terrific in every way- a gem. She has Babylock educators in for high quality classes. In addition, there's been Babylock sewing events this past year within a 1 1/2 drive. These are 1 day and also 2 or 3-day classes. There's plenty of videos on the Babylock site and on youtube. It seems to be a real emphasis for this brand.

I'd appreciate hearing from you about your experience with other brands' outreach education?

I'm considering a new machine after many happy decades with Berninas- an 830 and a 930 Record. I've been a dedicated garment sewer and am looking at a Juki F600 (no embroidery). I am curious about embroidery and considering a Pfaff Creative Performance (embroidery option). Very undecided about embroidery and need to feel confident I'd get the education needed to embark on a new direction.

I know I can learn embroidery from my Babylock dealer. She suggests I start with an Ellure Plus. It is the Elizabeth sewing machine with a very basic embroidery function to see if I like it. Within a year I could trade up and most likely to the Ellageo Plus.

My initial interest is in lettering- writing quotations, poems on garments. I'd also like to take simple forms- circles, spirals, undulating waves and sprinkle them around or connect them. I don't think that elaborate designs that are like full-blown tattoos are my thing. Hard to know for certain.

So, how do you like the educational support for your machine? Thanks.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

Date: 2/3/13 9:03 AM

Bernina has an outstanding website and is always posting projects and hosting online webinars which are very informative and educational. When I bought my Bernina 830LE, I attended their VIP Retreat in Chicago. It was a 3-day event with classes taught by Bernina educators and was amazing! My Bernina/Brother dealer offers a monthly sewing club with other specific classes covering everything from beginning sewing to advanced quilting and embroidery.

I just bought a Babylock Enlighten and BLCS, but the nearest Babylock dealer that offers classes is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way. So, Bernina is the only dealer nearby for me and I still have to drive 45 minutes.
-- Edited on 2/3/13 9:04 AM --

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 2/3/13 9:28 AM

HI Wendy, my experience has been mostly with Bernina educators and they are awesome! The rest of my experience is basically with third party educators brought in to the Babylock and Janome dealers; there seems to a large number of those that are highly proficient and very good with those products

Bernina has many of their webinars on their site - available to anyone - as well as the plethora of educational resources SewNanny refers to. As she said, the amount of Bernina education available is extensive.

------
Bernina 880, Bernina350SE,

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 2/3/13 2:38 PM

Sew Nanny and JanceR-thanks for the positives on Bernina!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/3/13 3:04 PM

I'll third the Bernina education. It's truly unsurpassed by any other manufacturer, IMO. Not that individual dealers don't offer stellar classes regardless of brand. But looking at just the manufacturers, I think Bernna is tops.
I hear about really large, high volume dealers having seminars with the manufacturers, but many of us don't have that. Most all Bernina dealers have the mastery classes for all machines and software. Then all the stuff online is amazing. I love Through the Needle and the Webinars. Most of it is designed to sell stuff, but what manufacturer isn't going to do that?
I have said time and time again, education is one reason Bernina prices are high.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 2/3/13 4:46 PM

Thanks for your Bernina perspective and nice that it's so consistent. If the education is a hidden component of pricing, what is included with the machine usually? Are the Mastery Classes additional? Are workbooks or DVDs extra? Not arguing pro or con, just ignorant.

I'm wondering about the real cost of embroidery with software, classes and the usual- thread, stabilizer and hoops. Folks with these machines love their stuff. See PR Thread of same name!

------

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 2/3/13 4:58 PM

The cost of machine embroidery as a hobby?

Cost-wise, it can be about equal with a moderate to heavy Cocaine habit.

It's easy to drop $200-300 on a trip to the dealer while you're building your stash.

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Unashamed of being a self confessed tool junkie! Currently love my: Bernina 550qe, ElnaPress & Oliso Iron - crazy thing but I love it! ...and a fleet of Macs, iPads, iPhones.

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Bernina 880 Sterling Edition
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/3/13 5:06 PM

Mastery classes are free when you take them from the dealer you purchased the machine or software from. My dealer charged $10 per class for the hand outs and DVD you got after each class.
Mine does offer the All About ME classes (machine embroidery). It's free, but you can pay $10 for the CD if you want. There is also Software Sampler, and that is the same I think. I haven't been able to attend these in a while. I think they are once a month. One may be weekly, I'm not sure.
And yes, embroidery supplies are EXPENSIVE! The cost of hoops are rather high.
I have a 730, which was discontinued last year. It does embroidery up to 6x10, or mega hoop, which is 6x15. This is enough for me. I just refuse to get into really large embroidery. Too much money and frustration for me. I have the DP V6 software by Bernina, and it's so excellent. I use it a lot now. I paid $100 to get the workbook from Creative Machines and it was well worth it, and highly recommended everywhere. There are independant online classes for a fee, free tutorials all over the net and You Tube and Berninas website is chock full of free tutorials. Great yahoo groups which are very active.

Berninas typically don't come with a whole bunch of feet, till you get to the 8 series. They are expensive buggers too. But, they do the job right, and there are also books out called Feetures which tell you exactly how to use the feet, and what other uses the foot may have besides its designated function.

Hope this helps you. Now, if you are looking at Babylock, those are excellent machines too. I don't care as much for the BL, Brother feet, but the machines are awesome.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

Date: 2/3/13 5:36 PM

My Bernina dealer has been offering the Software Sampler CD for sale and just this month will start offering a monthly class using the lesson covered in the CD. They are charging $15 for each class/CD. The Mastery Classes are free for customers who bought their machines at that particular store. I bought my first Bernina three years ago and have noticed that the Mastery Class Workbooks have become noticeably thinner for the machines I've bought in the last couple of years. But, it is still worth the time and effort to take the Mastery Classes, especially if this is your first Bernina machine purchase.

Machine embroidery is an expensive hobby. Thread, stabilizers, not to mention purchased designs, software, additional hoops -- are all very expensive. This being said, I bought my first embroidery machine twelve years ago and am still going strong and enjoying all aspects of my machine embroidery hobby. For me, it was a natural progression from sewing garments, then to quilting and home dec. with machine embroidery designs incorporated into each of these areas.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 2/3/13 6:30 PM

I have a stash rash already! See also my fabric fast and my confusion over just how many patterns I have. Of a particular style. Maybe I should just stop posting, keep my head down and sew? Anyway, thanks for stating the plain unvarnished truth.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Babylock education/educators great!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1308

photo
by: gabc

Review
Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.