SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Fabric Fast? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabric Fast?
A Stash for Reduction
bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/5/13 8:12 PM

We're in heavy duty Fiscal Conservatism aka "Stinginess" to afford Boy Wonder's college tuition....without resorting to Fancy Feast. Ok. A mild exaggeration.

I blew my Feb. fabric allowance, already, on fabrics for a quilt I designed and made for a co- worker's going away gift. The good news? Almost enough fabric left from that project to make another as pattern model. Cool! But, I had to dig deep in the stash to compensate for yardage I cannot "replace" .....as I already spent my allowance.

This coincides with cleaning the sewing room. YIKES! What an awe- inspiring stash! Oh. My. Word. As I cleared the clutter, I kept finding yet MORE fabrics! It's overwhelming! Amazing. Beautiful. Gorgeous. But, the quantity!

Thus was born the Fabric Fast: Quilt What You Have Challenge. I will buy only batting, thread, or sufficient yardage for backings, as needed to complete projects, within the College Tuition Quilting Budget.

Does external limitation increase or hinder your creativity or enjoyment of quilting?

Anyone willing to join my odyssey?

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/5/13 9:42 PM

A bunch of us are on a second year of fabric fasting. We've got different motivations and self imposed guidelines. I've managed to really cut back buying fabric ... I already have a huge stash & have run out of room to store it adequately. That is, there's no point knowing I have a piece of yardage, if I can't find it in the 100s of metres in my hoard.

fabric fast 2013

------
Sydney, Australia

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 7:48 AM

Kiwi isn't that more for apparel fabric? quilting fabric stashing is quite different from apparel lol. We can collect fabric by the quarter yard making is cheaper and getting more of it. Therefore we have special needs lollol. I don't have a real big stash and with virtually no disposable income for the moment won't be getting a lot more. trying to use up what's in my stash.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 2/6/13 7:55 AM

some in that thread are quilters and some aren't. I think we're all special needs for example I don't fit RTW, except underwear. Having to make everything is a bit speshul.

I have a huuuuge stash, but don't have much disposable income this year so need to use what I have.

------
Sydney, Australia

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 9:34 AM

All Sewists are Special! :hug:

Quilter's stashes differ from Apparel in two major points: almost all of a quilt stash will be 100% cotton in a fine, tight weave, and the pieces will vary tremendously in size/color/print. We hoard ALL manner of bitty scraps and yardage.

Tiny bits are backed in Misty Fuse and saved for collage. Ya just never know when that scrap will be the perfect " sparkle" for your next project. Quilt fabric manufacturers create scarcity with very short runs, so a " buy it when you see it" mentality. Some collections sell out almost immediately. Yardage requirements tend to be larger for quilt vs. garment projects: a smallish quilt can require upwards of 8-10 yards for completion.

It's not an Apparel vs. Quilt debate, just an acknowledgment of the inherent differences in the material requirements per project.

But, I kinda thrive on the limitations imposed by working from the Quilt Stash. It forces design and construction decisions that may not otherwise be considered. Creates something useful and cozy. And it clears some of the crap outta the sewing room.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AZ USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 2/6/13 11:08 AM

Yeah we all are special!

Well I fell down trying to get into my sewing room closet -- SOOOO I made a list of "what I could SEE" and posted on ebay whole bolts still in shrink wrap!!! I used to make clothing, now I only quilt and have no desire for the other fabrics.

I have years of stock to sew toward clothing, but only want to quilt where I have maybe 20 yards total with FQ's and small yardage heehhe hmm maybe I should get a swap going, Casa Satin or Cloud 9 for Cottons

:-Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

cocosloft
starstar
cocosloft  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/17/12
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 11:17 AM

Oh - I have stash envy. I just got back to sewing a year ago (I retired) and am doing all I can afford to build a stash!

------
Coco

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to HDWen <<

Date: 2/6/13 2:49 PM

How'd you do with that ebay selling? I hope well!

I have both quilting and garment stash. It's really not as bad as some, but geez I have way too much of it on both ends. However, many days I'm happy to have it.

Isn't it true that when it's gone it's gone!! I hate that about quilting fabric. You really do have to get it while the getting is good!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 4:04 PM

When I did clothing I never stashed never saw a reason too. But with quilting well that's a whole different animal lol.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

QuikSew
star
QuikSew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 5/2/10
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 2/6/13 4:29 PM

Just started quilting so I am on the other side of the coin. Should I start a fabric hoarding thread?

------
2012 yardage sewn: 102.75 yds
Jan 2013 - 3.75 yds
Feb 2013 - 5.5 yds
Mar 2013 - 16.75 yds
Apr 2013 - 5.3 yds
May 2013 - 0 yds
June 2013- 0 yds
July 2013 - .75 yds
August 2013 - 12.75
September 2013 - 0
October 2013 - 0
2013 goal - 120 yds Yards to date - 44.8 yds

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Fabric Fast?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Great Copy 2500

photo
by: Pinkhousel...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2010-144

photo
by: Renren

Review
SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.