SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Going to Oklahoma City to look at s/m. ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Going to Oklahoma City to look at s/m.
BLMLB
BLMLB  Friend of PR
Beginner
Oklahoma USA
Member since 1/20/09
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 1:02 PM

Going to Oklahoma City next week to test drive s/m. After much internal debate Iíve decided to start with a lower priced combo. I first had a budget of $3500 then something new would come out and I would think for a little bit more I could get this..and this. The next thing I know Iím looking at a $6000.00 machine. Then I thought of a Brother 770d and an s/m. I read most of the threads and have gotten a lot of advice. Thanks to everyone. Here are some of the things Iíve learned. 1 Bonding with the machine. 2 Dealer support. 3 Make a list of must haves. 4 Know the prices and trade in for moving up.
Iím looking at a Brother 1250D, 1500D or 2800D or Baby Lock equivalent. What is the price range on these machines? I have a Bernina Nova 900 which I love but the Berninaís are out of my price range. Itís a 200 mile round trip for me so any information on s/m dealers in the Oklahoma City area will be appreciated. I had a bad experience in the 80ís with a sewing machine and dealer I havenít sewn in years due to that. But I just started again and I love it. Iíve talked to the Bernina and Baby Lock dealers on the phone and they seem very helpful. The sewing I plan on doing for now is Home dťcor and some garment. Later I plan on quilting.

------
Bernina Nova 900 my son-in-law namedt"Money Spent"
Magenta, Pfaff Creative Performance

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to BLMLB <<

Date: 2/6/13 1:21 PM

I'm sure there is a Brother or BabyLock model that will meet your needs. I have gone the route of keeping my embroidery unit separate...a PE700, as I am not a prolific embroider and I can sew while it does it's job. You could get a full featured machine, like the Brother NX800 and PE780D embroidery-only(the one that dealers usually carry) for under $2000 total.

It's good that you've set a budget. Some of these machines are asking way too much in price these days, which is why financing in now offered and despite being touted as 0%, there are still fees to pay for simply using their credit.

It doesn't matter whatever screaming deal you get today, when you go to trade up, it will only apply to full price(MSRP) on the new machine. I've had dealers tell me I'm better off selling it on my own, which I've done.

Have you considered a Juki for a sewing-only machine? They are at/under $1000 and have a lot of happy owners. There is a dealer in Oklahoma City(Juki site says it's The Stitching Post)

-- Edited on 2/6/13 1:23 PM --

BLMLB
BLMLB  Friend of PR
Beginner
Oklahoma USA
Member since 1/20/09
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 2:26 PM

Yes, Juki f600 or 400 was one of the first s/m I looked at when I started looking. I've read the post and I think it would make a wonderful machine. The only thing that stopped me from looking at a Juki is the circle sewing, bobbin works and side sewing. Don't know what you sew with side sewing but it looks like fun. Can I do bobbin works and circle sewing on a Juki?
-- Edited on 2/6/13 2:30 PM --

------

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to BLMLB <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/6/13 2:43 PM

Ohhh, that's a good point. I just posted a question regarding this on their Facebook page. I've wondered about that. I've read of someone using this circular stitcher on their low-shank machine just fine. You could sticky-tac a thumbtack to the bed and put an eraser on the topside. But sure, it's nice to have actual attachments...

I had a Brother QC-1000 that had directional sewing. When in that mode, it sews quite slow because the feed dogs are lifting up the fabric and moving it sideways(or diagonal) to where the next stitch will be... Sometimes it's just better off pivoting.
-- Edited on 2/6/13 2:46 PM --

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 3:08 PM

Well, they were quick to respond!: "There is not a circular stitching attachment. For doing bobbin work you can use your machine without any extra attachments."

BLMLB
BLMLB  Friend of PR
Beginner
Oklahoma USA
Member since 1/20/09
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 6:37 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm not going to OKC until next Tue. this weekend I plan on sewing with my Bernina Nova to compare sticthes.

------

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/6/13 8:16 PM

Here's some more follow-up on the Juki bobbin case:
"You can adjust the bobbin case but with our top load bobbin I will run up to 1/8th inch ribbon. If I run something that heavy I simply skip the last tension path of the bobbin case. If you are ever concerned about wear on your bobbin case just can an extra and mark one for bobbin work.

ilovedogs
ilovedogs
Member since 2/18/12
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 2/6/13 8:35 PM

You will like the bernina people. They are knowledgeable and helpful. John and Emily are the owners. Twyla is the queen of know everything sewing machines...she can work on nearly everything.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 2/7/13 6:53 AM

There is a huge BabyLock store in OKC called B-Sew Inn. they have locations in other cities...Tulsa, Muskogee (i think) and some in Missouri also.

Sewmissy2
Sewmissy2
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/5/10
Send Message

Date: 2/7/13 7:58 AM

B Sew Inn is a wonderful dealer. Check out the Baby Lock machines for sure.

------
Designer 1, bought in 2000
Simplicity 350 serger, bought about 1997
3 Tajima Neo single head embroidery machines
Digitizer by profession
Embroidery software: Tajima DGML by Pulse (commercial) also know Designer's Gallery and Floriani for home use.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Going to Oklahoma City to look at s/m.

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

BurdaStyle Downloadable BS-026

photo
by: thecurious...

Review
Christine Jonson Swing Jacket

Christine Jonson Swing Jacket

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.