SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > TEX Thread ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
TEX Thread
I don't get it ??? What is it? What sm to use it with?
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 2/7/13 11:53 AM

I received an E-mail from one of our SM dealers & in it is quite an article on TEX Thread & that we all need to know what it is & when to use which weight of it. .........I had never heard of it. ...
Is it for our regular sm kids? Is it something new? .........
My sm are all mechanical & mostly vintage kids so not sure if this new to me thread is something to look into or what. ???

Thank you for the info.....

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
DH eye tumor is starting to shrink! Yipee!! This is very good news.
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers. A long road to recovery ahead, as more heart issues found. Still so glad he is okay.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ..Thank you +

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/7/13 12:17 PM

tgm, TEX is a new standard for thread weight. Up to now, there hasn't been an industry standard so it's hard to compare threads from different companies. One company's 40 wt doesn't in any way relate to another company's 40 wt.

Bob at Superior Threads explained it well in his recent newsletter:
The Tex system (most likely derived the word textile) was created as a new standard of consistent thread measurement and intended to replace all other methods of measurement of threads. It hasnít quite achieved that goal because quilters love the weight standard and the number standard (for example, 40 wt. or #50) and embroiderers are used to the denier standard (120d/2). Because the International Organization for Standardization (IOS) has adopted the Tex system, it will probably continue to gain in popularity so it would be advantageous to understand it.

Tex is an accurate measurement and is considered a direct numbering system, meaning the higher the Tex number, the heavier the thread. On the other hand, the weight system, most popular in the U.S., is not a direct numbering system because the larger the number (30 wt., 40 wt., 50. wt., 60 wt.), the finer the thread. That can be confusing.

The Tex standard uses 1,000 meters of thread per gram as the starting point. This means if 1,000 meters of thread weighs one gram, it is Tex 1. If 1,000 meters of thread weighs 25 grams, it is Tex 25.

Although this appears to be a very accurate measurement, it is necessary to remember that 1,000 meters of cotton will not weigh the same as 1,000 meters of like-diameter polyester. Therefore, when comparing thread sizes based on the Tex or any other standard of measure, for exact accuracy, compare cotton to cotton, poly to poly, and silk to silk.

We use the Tex measurement on some of our newer threads and on all our industrial (apparel and upholstery) threads.
Fine Tex Threads . . . . . . Tex 9 to Tex 20
Medium Tex Threads . . . Tex 21 to Tex 45
Heavy Tex Threads . . . . . Tex 45 and higher

There's a link in the newsletter to a pdf with TEX values for all Superior thread.

Edited for typos
-- Edited on 2/7/13 12:18 PM --

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 2/7/13 12:20 PM

This is good to know I thought 50 weight was 50 weight was 50 weight

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 2/7/13 12:35 PM

Interesting............ I am going to bookmark that article.
Thank you for posting ... very helpful...

------
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers. A long road to recovery ahead, as more heart issues found. Still so glad he is okay.

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/7/13 5:16 PM

There is also a comprehensive article about the various thread measures available for download at the Coats & Clark website.

Jennifer in Calgary

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/7/13 6:12 PM

Is this a brand of thread, or an overview of threads in general?

Whatever happened to buying thread for machine sewing in the color of your choice, making a bobbin and being happy with your ability to make whatever suits you?

There is just too much drama over this and that. Mostly to make a buck.

Use what makes you happy!

------
ďI donít give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think itís Hell.Ē ó Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/7/13 10:45 PM

It's a general overview of modern threads. If you are happy with the thread you are using, it probably won't make much difference. But there is no one thread that is best for every type of sewing even a home stitcher might contemplate. I use entirely different threads for hand quilting vs machine quilting, embroidery, garment sewing, embellishment, and/or heavy duty repairs.

Like everything else, the best results occur when using the most appropriate materials and tools for each job.

Jennifer in Calgary

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to Jennifer Hill <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/7/13 10:50 PM

Found this & am bookmarking it too. Thank you.
I wonder what weight the clear thread comes under? ... I will have to read more of the articles.

------

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 2/8/13 1:03 PM

Echo. While there are certainly no Thread Police, I'm not such a purist as to worry about what TEX is. Superior Threads has some nice thread, I'll admit, but it seems as if you want to know anything, it has to be about their threads and theirs alone. And, of course, you pay for that "knowledge" when you buy it.

I grew up in the dinosaur thread age, when thread was cotton and pretty much 50 weight; other weights were for embroidery or topstitching. Machines were geared for this type of thread. Try using a cheapo Walmart thread nowadays on a vintage machine and you will wind up with bird's nests. Back then, it was an easy choice. Today's threads are too confusing because each manufacturer has its own standard for what they consider to be "quality". They start talking about spinning, yarns, tensile strength, etc.--too complicated! As long as the thread doesn't fray, doesn't break easily, and my machines "like it", why bother with the technical stuff?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/8/13 4:01 PM

Quote: Miss Fairchild
Echo. While there are certainly no Thread Police, I'm not such a purist as to worry about what TEX is.

I grew up in the dinosaur thread age, when thread was cotton and pretty much 50 weight; other weights were for embroidery or topstitching. Machines were geared for this type of thread. Try using a cheapo Walmart thread nowadays on a vintage machine and you will wind up with bird's nests. Back then, it was an easy choice. Today's threads are too confusing because each manufacturer has its own standard for what they consider to be "quality". They start talking about spinning, yarns, tensile strength, etc.--too complicated! As long as the thread doesn't fray, doesn't break easily, and my machines "like it", why bother with the technical stuff?

tex is merely the SI unit of thread weight. It's not a conspiracy by some mysterious thread police to make you go and throw your thread away and buy new magical 'tex thread'; there's no such thing, it's merely a measurement system that's rational.

That means it's very easy to compare different threads. You don't need to know what the construction is, whether the weight quoted is metric ticket, cotton ticket, whether it's the combined weight of the strands of thread or the single strands that make it up.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> TEX Thread

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Kwik Sew 2821

photo
by: LoriB

Review
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Sewing Workshop Haiku Two Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.