SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Returns ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Returns
Return a serger to the store
woodwardl
woodwardl
Member since 12/7/12
Send Message

Date: 2/7/13 4:49 PM

I recently bought a serger and consistently have skipped stitches. I took it to the dealer and even though it seemed to work at the store but when I tested it at home it kept skipping. The dealer is out of answers. They gave me different reasons and had me try different things including spraying static guard on the machine and spool of thread but nothing has worked. My question is, has anyone tried to return a serger to the dealer and was it successful?

Thanks.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/7/13 5:06 PM

What were you serging when the skipping occurred? If it was knit, change to stretch needles.

Did you actually thread and try serging different settings while at the dealer? Were they using the same fabric that you were using at the time of the skipping?

A dealer most likely will not refund your money. They might take the serger in as a trade up as the trade in will have to be sold as used and without a warranty.

-- Edited on 2/7/13 5:11 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

woodwardl
woodwardl
Member since 12/7/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 2/7/13 5:25 PM

PattiAnn,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm working with almost knit only, fabrics that have poly/spandex. The dealer changed it to stretch needles for me while I was at the store. We tried on the fabrics I normally work with at home. In the end she tried putting backing paper underneath the fabric which seemed to have worked but once I started sewing at home even the trying with the backing did not work. She said it could be static so I bought static guard and put a humidifier in the room. She said it could be that I was pulling the fabric while sewing but I was not. I don't think at this point I will get another Viking.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/7/13 5:57 PM

The static thing sounds like nonsense. You would know if you needed a humidifier - your socks would be sparking when you walk across carpet.

Unless the knit is very thin, you should not need the paper. Check the manual to see if there is an adjustment for presser foot pressure.

Before placing the fabric under the presser foot, trim away about two inches of the excess seam allowance (what the knives would be cutting)and see if this will help with the feed.

If you continue to have problems, look for another dealer and see what they can do for you in trading in the Viking.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to woodwardl <<

Date: 2/7/13 6:25 PM

I've never had a problem returning a machine. I returned a serger to Hancocks, about 2 weeks after the purchase. I returned a Baby Lock Natalie to the dealer after having problems with it. You should have some recourse. Have you sent a letter to the company? If the dealer doesn't help you, mention that you are planning on contacting the company...Might make a difference.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to woodwardl <<

Date: 2/7/13 6:36 PM

I would have no problem doing that, if there was really something wrong with the serger it's self and not just my sewing knowledge or particular fabric, or my sewing technique, or the way I was handling the fabric, or my needle choice or even just one bad fabric to sew on or anything like that. Because then the serger would not sew perfectly fine on some other kind of fabric, or lots of them, with thread of my choice, and needles of my choice (like even firmly woven cotton bedsheet kind of fabric) either. To illustrate that there was something wrong with my serger, then I would also be threading up the matching demo serger they had there, and proving it to them, that one even functioned differently than mine, under same conditions even. It would be extremely difficult to prove me wrong there, done like that. In that case, I think I would want to return it, and expect a new one in the box instead.

However, if all that is not your case, and serger works perfectly fine for you and them, with just some other kind of fabric, thread, needles, stitch choice or whatever, then I think you just got a "sewing problem instead" , and not an actual serger it's self kind of problem instead.
-- Edited on 2/7/13 6:38 PM --

woodwardl
woodwardl
Member since 12/7/12
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/7/13 6:43 PM

This would be the 2nd time I return a serger to Viking. The 1st one the lower looper thread keeps breaking and the dealer had no answer for it so she exchanged it for me. I don't think it's my knowledge or sewing technique, because when I took it in the last time she checked to see that all the threads were threaded correctly and she tried many times and it kept skipping. The final 'solution' was to put the backing paper and we only tried 2 strips (at that time we were running out of time) so I just accepted it. I tried on all fabrics, not just knit but woven cotton fabric (stretch needle with the knit and regular needle with the woven) and it kept happening. She suggested that maybe I was pulling the fabric when I was sewing but I was testing on a strip of fabric so no pulling involved. Since she didn't want to take the serger back I already contacted my credit card company telling them I wanted to dispute the charge. I'll keep everyone posted as to what the Viking dealer says. Thanks all.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to woodwardl <<

Date: 2/7/13 7:13 PM

If it's the same skipped stitching on cover stitch problem you posted about recently in another thread, and it only happens one kind of knit fabric, and it does not happen at all the same, and just no skipped stitches on firmly woven cotton fabric instead, with the same converstitch, then it really just cannot be a actual machine problem with your machine and has to be a sewing problem instead. It's pretty much just that simple.

Just because you take it back to someone though, does not mean they can always solve and come up with good and instant answers to all your "possible sewing kind of problems" just at that moment though or even maybe ever sometimes. Not sure they should always be responsible for that either, if that was the case, just because when you buy something from someone, even though their willingness to help you solve any "sewing problems" should optimally come with it, it's not like you can just read their mind and cull years of experience out of it in a second either.

If was coverstitching perfectly when new for you, and on that same fabric, which you actually said it did at first in the prior post, then I think nothing wrong with it, when you first got it and first sewing on it. Since then though, something has changed. What, I don't know. Could be the space and timing between your needle and loopers, a different needle, a bad needle, thread stuck in the machine, just anything now. But go ahead and coverstitch on two layers of firmly woven cotton fabric, and if no skipping stitches there, then you at least know what it is not- a faulty machine.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/7/13 7:47 PM

A little consoling here.

Be sure to read part two for how this was resolved.

------

woodwardl
woodwardl
Member since 12/7/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 2/7/13 8:22 PM

I did try on 2 layers of cotton woven fabric, even with the paper underneath it, it still skipped! In different places too. I wish I could attach a picture here. But I don't know how. I just don't know anymore. It's such a shame that the machine doesn't do what I need and these machines are not cheap...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Returns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Butterick 5223

photo
by: Courtney O...

Review
Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.