SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Fishing on CC cards?? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fishing on CC cards??
charges not ours
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 2/7/13 9:20 PM

We both have our cards & yet someone or persons have made many charges on our ATM card! I just called & reported it as when we stopped for gas the card was denied & find many charges not ours even putting a deposit on an empty lot!!! How can this be? The lady at Visa said so many people get the info our internet or ATM machine very easily & then can charge & charge until you run out of money... as is our case.............. I really do not understand this but I guess one cannot trust any online site......??? ....SIGH!!! ....
I will call the bank tomorrow, we are in the middle of a winter storm so I do not know if I can physically get there but I will call.

So I guess the moral is be very very careful when & or where you use the card.....very sad....

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Santa Kitty is on the move... Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/7/13 10:13 PM

It's not just the internet. We have card info stolen from the swipe machines at gas stations and grocery stores from time to time and the company's aren't aware of it until a bunch of people complain. There are cards available that are specifically set up for internet use so they can't be stolen. Other people use special visa cards that only carry a limited amount of money, so they can't raid your bank account. If someone does get card info, there are organizations that sell them to other people or post the info on different websites. My daughter and also a coworker had their card info stolen after being used at Target. The bank caught it and called both of them. DH had it happen at Gamestop. Keep bugging them until you get your money back.
-- Edited on 2/7/13 10:14 PM --

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to mastdenman <<

Date: 2/7/13 10:27 PM

Oh my that is awful even at Targets............ the last place we used our card was at Walmart super store getting DH RX & flu supplies.... the fraud charges started on Tuesday the following day. .......... Not right!
Our card is blocked now & we will have to request to get a new one... our bank charges for replacement cards............ some stores here though no longer take checks .....
What a mess! I will post what the bank does for us. ... hope soon...

------

The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/7/13 11:03 PM

I've been through this 3 times in the past 2 years. Each time the card has never been out of my possession so we don't know how they are getting our card numbers. I check my bank accounts online about every 2 days. I've caught the charges when they were still shown as pending but some snuck through. My bank is great and I had all money back in my account within 3 days, and new cards within a week. I now have a credit card with a very small limit that I use at the gas station and online when I can't use Paypal.
Good luck with this...it certainly can be frustrating. Be vigilant about checking your accounts. It's amazing how much this happens but the card companies believe it's still cheaper to deal with the fraud than to change the card system.

------
Stash: 174.845 yds. @ 12.20.14

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 10:57 AM

Fishing? Did you mean phishing?

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 11:10 AM

Our Visa CC card was hacked in December and it was a hassle to replace. I know how you are feeling and it is not a fun process to go through, but you will make it and be ok once again. I do not use the debit card like I used to, but not use the Visa, as it is protected and the debit card is not. We still are not sure where or how it occurred.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 12:12 PM

There are people who have software on their phones that can access ATM machines when other people are using them, and steal the numbers. Watch who is hanging around you when you go to the ATM. If someone is close by, have them do their business before you. If they are honest, they will thank you. If not, they will walk away, acting like they need to do something.

Call the bank and see if you can be notified if they find unfamiliar charges on your ATM card.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 12:21 PM

It does pay to be very, very careful. But something like this can happen regardless. You can just decrease the odds of it happening and increase the odds of catching it quickly when it does.
One thing this reminded me of - it's good to have enough cash (remember that stuff?) to get you thru a few days. I read this in a disaster preparedness article a few years ago and started squirrelling away $10 or $20 dollars until I had a decent amount. It helped when the ATM machine at the bank ate my card on Saturday afternoon!!!
It also helps when real disasters strike, like hurricane Sandy.
Cash still works - even when the power is out.
Sis.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 12:21 PM

CC numbers are sequential, not random- so if they know my Amex is 3123 4567890 1234, they know that 3123 4567890 2345 is probably also a valid number, and if you hit enough of those, you're going to get an active card.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 1:34 PM

Thank you for all the replies. We just got back from the bank. They were very nice about it... filled out paperwork for each transaction that was fraud...........all were made in Europe by the way so the bank knew it was not us! 3 more were attempted today but shut out since our cards are cancelled. Should be straightened out soon & okay to use our account probably on Monday. ...... the banker said it was most likely from online shopping. She suggested we close out our PayPal account or they might try to hack us again. ......SIGH! ......
We can get a Visa prepaid so it will not be against our account like this time , it is a charge to buy one & to reload it ....... it would not be protected though if hacked. it takes 2 weeks for new ATM to come, not sure about using them though. ...creepy!....the whole thing is very creepy!!! ... ........................so that is how things are at the present time. So relieved did not have to go to the police department. ............
Those who have been through this did you close down your PayPal account?
Thank you!

------

The sewing workers:

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Fishing on CC cards??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Vogue Patterns 7608

photo
by: Mobycat

Review
Favorite Things The Nappies Pattern

Favorite Things The Nappies Pattern

Buy Now
Purse-Nickities

Purse-Nickities

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.