SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > color ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
color
color me beautiful
carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/8/13 2:11 AM

I bought an old copy of Color Me Beautiful at a library sale back in the 90's. It was a great way to figure out everyone's best colors to match their skin tone. I drove my 4 daughters bonkers because they insisted they were not the season they were described as in the book. But over the years they have come to agree with me and faithfully shop that way. One daughter,a Summer can wear that bright orchid, pink and look amazing wheras her sister who is a Winter wouldn't be caught in public wearing it. I'm Spring and can dare to wear chartruese and look really good in it ,Though I long for rose and scarlet it looks awful on me. My two Autumn girls choose bright earth tones which just light up their hazel eyes and golden brown hair. One is darker skin toned and chooses the deeper colors the other goes for oranges but they all know exactly which neutrals to wear and those that aren't pretty on them. As you can see this was a great help to me,especially when I was sewing for clients., because I could instantly help with color choices. When I see the Pantone palette for any new year I always know if I can expect to find fabrics that I can wear or will have to be somewhat out of style and dig into my stash for a new dress. But I feel best in my best colors and put together because all my accessories compliment . So if you haven't ever read this book and can find an old copy it's well worth it. It is amusingly 80's but hey I keep seeing shoulder pads appearing again.

Renata
star
Renata  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/9/06
Send Message

In reply to carry <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/8/13 2:25 AM

If you have ever participated in a group session to have your colours assessed you will realise that there is some truth in it and you will see how different colours affect different people's complexions. If there are colours that you like that don't 'suit' you, wear them away from your face, such as a skirt. It really is a very valuable concept, IMHO.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to carry <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/8/13 12:30 PM

I had this book for years, then kept the color chart for me and carry it when I'm shopping for fabric. It's pretty amazing, and very true. I'm a Spring, although I was born in the fall. What I've noticed is this: Springs and Autumns have yellow and orange tones in their skin, so they can't wear bright whites, but off-white. Summers and Winters have pink tones, and they can. And Winters are the only season that can wear the icy colors such as bright pink, bright blue, etc.

The difference between the Springs and Autumns is the depth of orange in their skin tone; same with Summers and Winters with their pinks.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/8/13 12:39 PM

My colour has changed over the years. When I was in my teens and early 20's, I was a definite Winter with coffee bean coloured hair, blue-green eyes and very light skin). Now most of those colours look garish on me.

Also, as my hair colour changes, so does the colours I can wear. I know our eye colour is not supposed to change but mine has as I have gotten older. They are now way more green than blue. When I was really little, they were electric blue. Funny.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 12:51 PM

A friend of my mom's was married to a guy who did their full-on training. Because of that, he had BIG swatches (like the size of small scarves). It made a difference to be able to drape the whole thing across your shoulders (rather than just hold up a little swatch).

Because my eyes change color a lot (I can use eye shadow to make you think I have blue or green or grey!), and so does my complexion, lol, I don't fit as easily into a season. His final decision for me, was based on the fact that I looked better in pure white than off-white/ecru/beige - which makes me a winter. The odd part is, my runner-up season was autumn. Strong jewel tones (ruby, sapphire, amethyst, and, yes, emerald) are best for me. But I also like sage/olive greens, golden yellows, coral, and browns.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 2:01 PM

Learn to Sew was mentioning "Seasons" as colouring in another thread. I've went to a few websites to try and determine what I might be and still cannot figure it out by their questionnaires. In the past (and this is coming from someone who was only limited to RTW clothing) I wore mainly the colours I liked (or something that fit if the colours weren't horrendous looking).

I realize you can hold up colours to see which look ok and which look blah, but how does one actually determine skin tone?

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/8/13 2:38 PM

You don't need to figure out your skin tone, really. In fact, this website uses your hair tone, rather than skin.

If you look at the palettes above the season names, you can see the types of colors each season is more suited to.

But, as my "consultant" was quick to point out, the colors that make you feel relaxed and confident will be ones that you are most attractive in, whether or not they are in your season. (And vice versa - if you hate a particular color, you won't look as good in it, just for that reason!)

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/8/13 7:08 PM

Just figure out if you have yellow or pink undertones.Your makeup,color clothing choices,hair color choices all refer back to this.There are only 3 colors red,yellow and blue. All colors are a mixture of that in its pure form or shaded with black or white. Try on a blue red[plum,violet,rose] lipstick in a medium shade with no other make-up. Then try on an orange -red[coral,salmon,apricot]. Which looks better to you? Which looks more natural and less contrasting to your face. Here's me as an example. I'm a spring which is yellow based. I wear a light make up with a yellow undertone,use dark or light coral lipstick. My neutral "white" is cream and my darkest neutral is dark cocoa brown or warm grey. I can wear all blues that have some yellow {green }not red,all reds that go towards orange not blue. I only use yellow gold in my jewelry or buttons because it compliments all my colors. The intensity of the colors that i buy is towards the middle because my skin is light and my hair is a warm blondish grey.Darker or really bright is too contrasting and kind of drowns me. But clear jewel tones with only one color ;bright navy,red with no blue or yellow in it look good on me. So if I'm trying to decide on the latest color I just figure if it goes towards yellow and then I know. If I had pink under tones all my colors would be towards red and blue which are considered the cooler tones of Winter and Summer. because there is no yellow.Spring and Autumn are the warm colors because of yellow. My Autumn daughters have more intense coloring than I do,more of a contrast to their skin and hair and eyes. My Winter girl is pale with no pink to her cheeks and has very dark brown hair. My Summer daughter is rosy and has blonde hair she's me with some color. I am Irish but look more like my Danish ancestors all the array of seasons in my girls come from their colorful Dad who is Irish,German,Basque,Spanish and Native American.

Irina Grace
Irina Grace
Advanced
Member since 7/18/11
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 8:45 PM

Bright blue and bright pink (with cold undertones) are very good on Winters - it is so true. Thank you for explaining the difference between Winters and Summers.

------
Irina Grace
English is my Second Language

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

Date: 2/8/13 8:58 PM

DonnaH and Carry,
As my grey hair is slowly growing out it's changing not only my looks but also my perspective. Thank you for the added information - I will be looking into it further - this could be fun!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> color

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Butterick 5880

photo
by: CraftAddic...

Review
Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Fedora Pattern

You Sew Girl Fedora Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.