Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Fabrics and more... > Where to buy lace similar to this ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Where to buy lace similar to this
Anyone seen any online
rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Login to reply to this post

Date: 2/8/13 2:49 PM

DS's partner (dear sweet girl), rather likes this Carla Zampatti dress to wear to a wedding they are attending in April. They will be the witnesses, which means they have a special role at the wedding and consequently her dress is important.

Clearly she can't wear black, and the only other colour the dress comes in is white. Not an option either.

Has anyone seen lace similar to this, preferably in a jewel colour? Green or blue would be best.

-- Edited on 2/8/13 2:51 PM --

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

Wendy Hahn
star
Wendy Hahn  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
NM USA
Member since 5/22/07

Date: 2/8/13 3:13 PM

Depending on what the lace is made of you could dye white lace tot he color you want.
Dharma Trading Company has information about which dye to use with which fiber and the dyes.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to rivergum <<

Date: 2/8/13 3:45 PM

Mood Fabrics has lace panels which you can buy by the unit. They're not cheap, at $110 per, and poly at that.

But I suspect that the lace from which the Zampatti dress is made came from one of the custom lace suppliers that also serve Marchesa, for example.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 2/8/13 9:40 PM

Could you change out the slip/liner inside the RTW dress to something with some color? Either a jewel tone under the black, or a soft color under the white? (The white might still be too wedding-dressy.) I have a dress that's a black sheer over a silver shantung-like base fabric, and something like that would be lovely at a wedding.

------
~Gem in the prairie

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 4/8/02

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 2/8/13 10:23 PM

The dress is gorgeous! Are you sure you can't make it work? My daughter's attendants at her October wedding wore black dupioni cocktail dresses; each one was different and reflected the individual style of each of the girls. The fabric tied them together without putting the bridesmaids in "uniforms" and they each wound up with a little black dress that doesn't scream "bridesmaid!".

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Amanda.Claire
star
Amanda.Claire  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/20/07

In reply to rivergum <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/9/13 8:17 AM

Fabrique! here in the Dallas area has loads of lace in all kinds of colors. Their online store does not have all of their inventory. I would call and ask them if they have something like this and can they get it. Lace is their specialty. Fabrique!

abcameo
abcameo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 11/17/04

In reply to Amanda.Claire <<

Date: 2/9/13 10:38 AM

I jumped over to the site, and they have some lovely fabrics but prices are on the steep side for the two categories I browsed.

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04

In reply to rivergum <<

Date: 2/9/13 11:22 AM

It looks more like devore than lace. Like this grey burnout velvet.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06

Date: 2/9/13 4:10 PM

Thanks for your help ladies!

Wendy, stirwatersblue and Karla, unfortunately the dress is $950, so buying it is not really an option. Don't you love a prospective DIL who is too sensible to do that!

I do have some beautiful white guipure lace that could be dyed, but it's such a risk. The colour could end up hideous and that would be a shame.

Elona and Amanda, some of that lace is lovely, but it is a massive leap of faith to buy something so expensive without seeing it in the flesh first. Of course I did ask for online fabrics, so I can't really complain!

I did find something more reasonable at Gorgeous Fabrics, albeit not in green or blue, but now the morning after jitters have set in and I am wondering if my skills are up to such a project. I would not have any idea how to do darts in something like this. I know you are supposed to cut the lace and overlap it, but that would disturb the regular pattern and be really noticeable, wouldn't it? The lace pattern is quite large if you look at the ruler in the photo, and a break in the pattern would be more noticeable than with a smaller pattern I would think.

However, the black dress does not look as if it has any darts, maybe it is just shaped at the sides. Even if the lace is not stretchy, it may have some give due to the holes, in which case no zipper may be needed if it is not too tightly fitted, which the black dress doesn't appear to be. If I go ahead with this I would need to go back to the store and have a good look at how the original is done.

What colour would you use to underline? I think wine red is difficult. Maybe a grey, or a champagne or latte colour? A medium grey blue might work. I think black or gold may be too much, although the wedding is in Brazil and Latin American tastes may be a bit more dramatic than Anglo ones. Nude would be an option too probably.

-- Edited on 2/9/13 4:29 PM --

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07

Date: 2/11/13 10:30 PM

Does everyone know about B&J Fabrics? I've never seen such fabulous lace. Mostly very pricey but also embroidered tulle, stretch lace and cotton lace,venice by the yard and typical bridal.But the coolest thing is they have many colors not just black and white. This store makes me want to sew things I can't imagine I''d have anyplace to wear

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Where to buy lace similar to this

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Vogue Patterns 2532
photo
Review by myeclectic... on 6/5/11
Read Review

McCalls 5248 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG )
McCalls 5248 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG )

Details
Price: $16.25
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1607 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Simplicity 1607 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCall's 5669 Unlined jacket
photo
Review by imsewcrazy on 9/3/08
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Felt Strap-On Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )
Peek-A Boo Felt Strap-On Booties Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )

Details
Price: $3.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Victory Satsuki Dress and Blouse Digital Pattern
Victory Satsuki Dress and Blouse Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat
Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN