SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Sewing machine quiet enough to watch TV in the same room? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing machine quiet enough to watch TV in the same room?
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

Date: 2/9/13 4:32 PM

Is there a machine that's that quiet? I've recently begun sewing in the living room (warm and cozy just now, in the winter), and my husband had to give up his comfy seat on his recliner to go on the (carpeted) floor closer to the TV to hear his movie the other night. He didn't mind at all but I was embarrassed. (It isn't that my machine is very loud at all; but it is loud enough if going pedal to the metel; or even, halfway-pedal to the metal; basically, anything other than slowly creeping along.)

Mel.J
starstar
Mel.J
Intermediate
VIC
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 2/9/13 4:40 PM

If you don't need to hear the TV yourself, there are some great wireless headphone sets that might solve the problem.
-- Edited on 2/9/13 4:42 PM --

------
Mel (Melbourne, Australia)

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<

Date: 2/9/13 5:01 PM

I sew and watch/listen to the telly at the same time, with my PCP and for the short time I had Quincy (Bernina B710) and with 2 different loaner B750s, without having to turn up the volume or strain to hear.

My BL Enlighten serger and CS machines are a bit louder, so they're in use during commercials.

A wall-mounted flat screen telly in the bedroom may be the answer for your DH. That would also give you leverage for another machne.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/9/13 5:30 PM

I've had Brothers, both a high-end and budget model(the recent Costco offering), that were very quiet. There's a video out there of a very quiet Juki F series. I had a Janome Harmony 8080 that was my first very quiet machine. I think most of today's computerized machines are quiet, with the possible exception of some Vikings. Pfaff's are not entirely quiet with the dual feed. My 7570 was not as quiet as the machines I mentioned above.

I think once you get onto a higher speed that yes, the sound will be louder, no matter how quiet the machine may be at lower speeds.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 2/9/13 5:35 PM

I ended up getting the Elna Grasshopper for this reason. My bf sits 3 feet from me when I'm sewing and was complaining nightly about my noisy machine. Now I can have a conversation with him while sewing a seam. It's pretty quiet. These are pretty old so I can't guarantee that they're all this quiet.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 2/9/13 5:48 PM

Try the Janomes at your local dealer. My 6500P is much quieter, while sewing, than any of my Berninas.

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
NSW
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/9/13 6:06 PM

I can highly recommend wireless headphones for the DH. I got some for my husband and they're wonderful. I can sit in peace & quiet & he can watch his crappy 50s westerns without irritating me. I can get quite irritated when concentrating on stuff.

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Janome DC2101, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/9/13 6:11 PM

My quietest machines are treadles. A well serviced treadle base is totally silent, while ANY electric motor makes noise. Period. The second part of the equation is the noise generated by the machine workings, and the needle&thread noise. The overall winner is an early 20th century Willcox & Gibbs high speed industrial. I can kick it up to 700-800 spm without any vibration whatsoever.

My Singer 201K is pretty quiet also.

The only modern machines I've sewn on in the past few years have been Berninas at the dealers. NO COMPARISON! They may have many otherwise desirable features, but they are LOUD compared to my oldies.

Jennifer in Calgary

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/9/13 6:14 PM

Babylock has very quite machines. You may have to go toward the TOL....not sure where the difference in decibels drop. My BL is the original Ellegante; sewing is whisper quiet.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

Date: 2/9/13 7:49 PM

Thanks! This is a very interesting thread to me. I didn't anticipate that there would be such a wide variety of possibilities. It sounds variable....probably one of those things where I'd ultimately have to test drive one to see (or...get one mentioned here that's already proven itself). Meantime, those wireless headsets sound like a good option.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Sewing machine quiet enough to watch TV in the same room?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

McCall's 6513

photo
by: aleah42

Review
8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6628

photo
by: LGC

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.