SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Cutting out a pattern ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cutting out a pattern
how precise do your edges need to be
watson8715
watson8715
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 2/7/13
Send Message

Date: 2/11/13 2:50 AM

How precise do edges need to be? I around the pattern as carefully as possible but I am not a super great cutter (though I rock a mean rotary cutter) so the lines aren't super straight.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to watson8715 <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 2/11/13 8:48 AM

The answer is: as precise as you can make it without tormenting yourself. If you have a feeling that your cutting isn't smooth, just keep it in mind when you sew the seam because THAT should be smooth, not jagged.

Don't worry! Be happy! You know how to SEW!

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/11/13 10:31 AM

And its better to cut a little too big than a little too small.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

Date: 2/11/13 12:02 PM

Are you using your rotary cutter? If you aren't, and you have more control/accuracy with one, do use it! The blades of scissors/shears lift the fabric and can be a difficult issue for some folks. If you are comfortable with a rotary cutter, go for it!

------
Fictionfan

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/11/13 12:38 PM

I agree with what the other folks have said-it does not have to be perfect. Make sure that notches and dots are marked perfectly so that you can get those lined up. I have switched to rotary cutting for most things now-it took me awhile to get the hang of curves (like arm and necks) but I really like it better especially for knits that are prone to shifting when I cut with scissors. HTH

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/11/13 3:24 PM

A princess seamed jacket can have ten plus seam edges. If you add just an 1/8 of an inch to each piece you are adding an inch and a quarter to your width. An 1/8 of an inch less and it will be that much tighter. It definitely makes a difference, IMO, particularly if you are concerned about fit. I cut all patterns out with a rotary cutter to insure accuracy. Use the small size cutter to maneuver those small curves and corners and the larger for the longer lines. A good acrylic quilter's ruler is necessary and an acrylic curve ruler helps as well.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to watson8715 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/11/13 3:49 PM

I guess I'm odd-man-out here...I treat cutting out as extremely important...the better I do it, the better my garment comes out. But that's just what works for me...everybody needs to find their happy medium. I say do what works for you. There is no wrong.

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 2/11/13 6:56 PM

Draw seam lines on your pattern, pin the pattern to your fabric and cut large unmeasured seam allowances. Trace the seam lines onto the fabric and you don't have to worry about precise cutting at all. You sew seams not allowances. Once the seam lines are traced onto the fabric you can trim the seam allowances if you like.

Tip from the Couture Dress episode on Craftsy.

Stargirl7

Stargirl7
Member since 6/28/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/11/13 11:00 PM

I'm also a fan of the rotary cutter.

I also trace most of my patterns onto doctor's table paper. Some because they are multi-size patterns I will use again in a different size (Kwik Sew or Jalie), but sometimes just out of habit - it helps me to understand how the pattern is structured, plus allows me to adjust as I please and have a record of what I did.

Because I do this, I frequently take pattern pieces meant to be cut on the fold, and trace the mirror image half as well as the original, so I have one full piece. I think it's more accurate, and helps me to do the layout to use the minimum amount of fabric.

CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NH USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

Date: 2/12/13 5:32 AM

Cutting as accurately as possible is important, but more important is sewing exactly on the seam line, wherever that may be. Depending on your garment you could trace out your seam lines, thread trace, chalk, whatever works, then use the trace markings to guide your sewing, either exactly on the seam line, or just to the right or left of the trace line, depending on how you traced it out.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Cutting out a pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 1886

photo
by: Sewlful

Review
Vogue Patterns 8765

photo
by: imsewcrazy

Review
SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

SewBaby Quick Kitchen Gifts Pattern

Buy Now
BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.