SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Pleats, in or out? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pleats, in or out?
Women's slacks
RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 2/11/13 9:42 PM

Are pleated slacks in or out nowadays? I have a nice piece of gray Super 180's wool and am trying to decide which of my patterns to use. I tried on 10 pairs of pants that I've made, and the older ones with pleats fit the best (I think because they have enough ease to just hang nicely). I'm skinny so I don't mind if the pleats appear to add a little bulk.

Thanks for your help,
Ruth

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to RMJ <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/11/13 10:26 PM

It's been a long time since pleated pants were highly popular, and the relative few pleated pants now on the Saks and Neiman's websites look nothing like the classic, tailored pleated pants almost everyone wore in the 1980s and 1990s. The closest pair I've found are these Armani trousers with inverted pleats.

If you could freshen up the pattern, perhaps by changing the pleating a bit, you might be able to get the fullness you want without making the pants look like they're no longer in style. Of course, you'd want to sew a muslin before you cut into your good wool fabric.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to RMJ <<

Date: 2/11/13 10:45 PM

They seem to be currently 'out.' However, styles rotate back in every couple of decades, and Katherine Hepburn didn't care.

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 2/11/13 11:15 PM

Oh well. I was hoping to avoid a muslin. Thanks for the advice, I know so little about fashion.

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/11/13 11:36 PM

Actually, the Armani spring collection had several pleated pants, all very drapey and wide legged. Looking at just the Nieman Marcus website for pants, perhaps 10% or less had pleats, but they were there. All the jumpsuits seemed to be pleated in the pants section. Maybe pleats are coming back? Or maybe they never left.

------
Fictionfan

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 2/11/13 11:39 PM

Pleated pants are all over the place. Love them.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/11/13 11:42 PM

Pleated slacks are always classy on the slender frame.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/11/13 11:53 PM

They're good on the average frame, too, but the biggest tricks are to use drapy fabrics and to make the waist a little too big. If you snug things up at the waist, the tummy bulge is emphasized and the pants suddenly look both bulky and too small.

Lindy Ann
Lindy Ann  Friend of PR
Advanced
Kansas USA
Member since 1/26/12
Send Message

In reply to RMJ <<

Date: 2/12/13 1:12 PM

Check Burda 7191. I think it's a new pattern, with inverted pleats and a waistband that sits a little below the natural waist. Those two features keep it from looking dated. The lower waistline also helps prevent that bulge just below the waist that can happen.

I always look better in pleated pants -- I'm very curvy, and they seem to de-emphasize the curves and give a smoother line.

I also -- finally-- got the crotch curve right with this pattern. It comes with a jacket that I'll never use, but I think the pants pattern will become my standard.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Lindy Ann <<

Date: 2/12/13 7:46 PM

And if you're visiting or traveling through a hot climate, those elegant pleated trousers are soooo comfortable in a high quality microfiber, with the drape of four-ply silk but the comfort of easy care, that you can hardly believe it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Pleats, in or out?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Silhouette Patterns 3011

photo
by: velosewer

Review
You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern

You Sew Girl Large Tote and Satchel Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.