SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Favorite Cowl patterns? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Favorite Cowl patterns?
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 2/12/13 8:01 AM

The Reviews are down now and I'm off to pattern sales, or--
does anyone draft their own cowl necklines from a favorite T--what measurements?

Looking for cowl that isn't so low you need a cami, not
too thick for summer, not too boat-neck so straps show, something that hangs nicely like a separate scarf.
Do you prefer all-in-ones or a separate cowl piece?

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 2/12/13 11:47 AM

Separate cowl piece. You can use them with lots of tops and it reallyh is amazing at how often it looks like it's sewn on!

j.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 2/12/13 12:11 PM

Good questions! You can certainly get entirely different looks and effects with different patterns for what would seem to be a basic style.

There are a lot of reviews of cowl patterns here, and they vary widely on the scale of flattery. Sometimes, a cut-on cowl seems to repeat unflattering lines all the way down the front, kind of like a series of double chins . For sure, a cut-on cowl doesn't drape well in thick material. But then, sewn-on cowls sometimes do not drape prettily, either; they can just sit there like a blah, flat dewlap.

It will be interesting to see more opinions.

mrsbewley
starstar
mrsbewley  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 8/14/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/12/13 2:54 PM

My favorite cowl pattern, in fact one of my favorite patterns overall, is Kwik Sew 3740. It has over 50 reviews here on PR, and I think it was selected as a "Best Pattern" a couple years ago.

The cowl is done in 2 separate pieces - an undercollar and a top collar - which makes it lay nicely. Of course it will look slightly different depending on the weight/drapiness of the fabric you use.

I find the KS cowl is just the right length - not too low. But YMMV.

Liz
-- Edited on 2/12/13 4:23 PM --

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/12/13 4:19 PM

Have you seen the Christine Jonson e-pattern for a cowl top with a higher (no-slip) back neck and a very modest front drape? (She does supply instructions for making the cowl deeper)
-- Edited on 2/12/13 4:22 PM --

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 2/12/13 4:24 PM

I didn't mean a separate scarf, but do you have standard measurements to add to a T? How much do you subtract from the
T neck width and depth?

I meant patterns with a separate loop of fabric for a sewn-on cowl, compared to the patterns with a fold-over type cowl.
For one idea, I realized the Fabric.com Free scarf top actually can be made into a cowl, when I flipped the ties up around the neck--waiting to try that. There are more cowl options than we thought.

Some pattern drawings look like the cowl rides too high on the neck
or strains horizontally boat-neck style at the shoulders. I have B4290 and B3344 which I haven't tried yet.

The Kwik Sew looks even different, a wide round even neckline, not drapey. At least real photos for patterns may be more accurate than drawings?
-- Edited on 2/12/13 4:30 PM --

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 2/12/13 5:14 PM

I like that Kwik Sew. I have sewn it several times. The cowl top and bottom are different sizes so the cowl likes nicely. I didn't like the low neckline and raised it about an inch or so. I adjusted the cowl which was easy to do. I measure the neck and cut the cowl to match. I also like Simplicity 1716 which is a totally different view (not a cowl as such). It is easy to add extra to in the front and then easy to pull the drape up a little. Fabric has alot to do with the drape too. What are you looking for?

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 2/13/13 8:06 AM

I was thinking of cool-fabric summer cowls, to be a little dressier than a usual V or scoop T, either sleeveless or cap-sleeve.

Or...anyone discover new neckline trends, now that ruffles and added flutter flowers etc. seem to be going out?

Too much fabric or heavy jersey will be hot. I assume they can never hang right in wovens, altho the new onion skins and lawns would be pretty.

The Connor Cowl on Anthropolige's site is interesting, some like it, some not. See the close-ups of front and back, looks like it has loose flip ends? Otherwise season necklines seem to be back to standard scoops etc.

Which spring sites do you look at showing "real" women's figures/ages for inspiration?
-- Edited on 2/13/13 8:36 AM --

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/13/13 10:20 AM

Kwik Sew 3740

Style Arc Amy

The Style Arc cowl is gorgeously perfect for warmer weather, as the back cowl area is small, regular collar depth. The front cowl drape is shallow, so no heavy amount of fabric overheating you. For fall and winter, the KS is so warm and cosy.

For a super fast (I can make one, cut to finish in 30 minutes) as no-fail as it gets cowl, try Kwik Sew 3036, great for summer, or wearing under a business jacket or sweater.

------
I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Date: 2/13/13 11:15 AM

I'm a fan of the cowl on KS 3740 mentioned by others -- great shape. I have transferred it to other tops also. But, since I love all things Christine Jonson, I'll bet that that is a good one too!

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Favorite Cowl patterns?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

StyleArc Wallis Pant

photo
by: Sigrid.

Review
Victory Ava Paper Pattern

Victory Ava Paper Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 190109-1001

photo
by: GwenH

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.