SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > How should serger stitches look? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How should serger stitches look?
Not sure if my looper threads are forming right
1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 2/12/13 1:14 PM

I am having a lot of fun playing around with my new sergers. Not sure if some of you saw my post in the sewing machines form, but the day I received my Babylock Eclipse, I answered a Craigslist ad. I wound up with a Babylock Imagine and Pfaff 1475CD for $40...had to be the deal of the century. The Imagine is in beautiful shape with no yellowing and runs great. I was going to sell one of the sergers, but I actually like both of them. The jet air threading on both of them is so cool! So I am going to sell the Pfaff to put towards a new sewing machine.

My question is, how should the stitches look when it comes to the fabric edge? The Babylock manuals for both machines show that the looper threads should extend a little past the fabric edge and not be right up against it. But it seems like the pictures I've seen in my serger books and online show the threads being right against the fabric edge. My looper threads are a little past the fabric edge and I'm not sure if this is right.

Also, am I wrong in assuming that the looper threads won't be as "tight" as the needle threads so that gives them so stretch qualities?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/12/13 2:18 PM

Since you got the manuals, and a whole bunch of on line pictures from everyplace and even a bunch of serger books, sending you anyplace for reference is I think not going to make any difference. But as far as how tight the stitches are, or how much they might hang off the edge of the fabric is all up to you and what you just like actually.

I actually like mine on purpose a tiny bit off the edge of some fabric for 3 and 4 thread overlock for seam finishing. The reason I like that, is that the seam is much more flexible then, and not so "hard".

But if I was using the same 3 or 4 thread overlock as more a decorative accent on something, out side where it showed someplace and maybe with decorative thread instead, then if going for just visual effect I might tighten it up a bit. So I think always just personal preference.

Quickest and most easy to change that kind of thing, either way, just anytime you want, at whim, is most often just change your cutting width a bit wider or more narrow, which would be the same as your stitching width.
-- Edited on 2/12/13 2:28 PM --

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
TX USA
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/12/13 2:31 PM

Hey Jim,

I just found this site which I quickly scanned--seems to have really good photos of what your stitching should (and shouldn't) look like.

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to JKimes <<

Date: 2/12/13 2:33 PM

Thanks, Juliette...do you have the link to the site? I didn't see it in your post.

Jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/13/13 2:52 AM

Your serger should be capable of putting the looper ends at the very edge of the fabric so that there is no overhang. That said, there is no right or wrong- if you want it to be a smidge hanging off. I like the even-to-the-edge look myself, it just looks cleaner to me.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
TX USA
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<

Date: 2/13/13 9:21 AM

DOH!

Sorry about that...
http://www.makeithandmade.com/2012/08/perfecting-sergeroverlocker-tension.html

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to JKimes <<

Date: 2/13/13 11:53 AM

Here is an even faster way to get there.

------
Judy

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to JKimes <<

Date: 2/13/13 12:35 PM

Quote: JKimes
DOH!

Sorry about that.. http://www.makeithandmade.com/2012/08/perfecting-sergeroverlocker-tension.html

Juliette

How to post quick links:

First, copy the address.
Second, choose the http:// icon at the top of the post you are compiling.
Third, paste.
Fourth, give the link any name you wish.

Easy, peasy and not my idea. Someone on PR posted this method a few years ago and I am soooo glad they did!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 2/13/13 1:27 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone.....I was able to do a side by side comparison of the Imagine and the Eclipse as far as the stitches. The Eclipse is producing far more balanced stitches than the Imagine at this point. I think the Imagine is going to need a little tune up. The looper threads seem to loose on the Imagine and I've even tried turning that screw that is supposed to alleviate the issue. The threads are not lying right on the edge or even just a tad above, but more and definitely does not look like the Eclipse stitches.

I really like the way I can adjust the manual tensions on the Eclipse, but I also see where the auto thread delivery system (auto tension) can come in handy on the Imagine.

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/13/13 2:23 PM

My Imagine does not lay the stitches super snug against the fabric.

I never did any adjusting of the tension, maybe I will give it a try.

Have you ever serged without the knife trimming? It takes a good eye to keep the fabric from rolling into the stitching.....not that you need to do this, just curious.

-- Edited on 2/13/13 2:31 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> How should serger stitches look?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1949

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Sewing Workshop Verona Jacket & Coat

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.