SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Thread Storage? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Thread Storage?
100 new threads added to my sizable stash!
schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Subject: Thread Storage Date: 2/13/13 12:52 PM

This is what I've been using. I have eight of these. Even with just 8, getting them all out to browse colors for a design is a cumbersome task. Until now, space for these cases has not been an issue. Do I really want to buy 16 more and then redistribute like colors?

What other options are out there? Some creative, industrious embroiderer has likely come up with the perfect thread storage solution, right?

CORRECTION: I added 100 new spools; NOT 500! Good grief! That would be a real nightmare!
-- Edited on 2/13/13 1:00 PM --
-- Edited on 2/13/13 1:03 PM --

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 2/13/13 1:55 PM

Do you have a place to hang thread racks, that's going to be the cheapest way. If you look under sewing spaces there is a cabinet on wheels everyone likes. I forget the name of it. I personally like thread racks where I can see it but really don't have wall space for them so most of mine is in clear containers and I have the Maderia thread chest.
-- Edited on 2/13/13 1:55 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/13/13 1:58 PM

WOW! I was going to say "If God wanted one person to own this much thread, he would make sure you had your own shop!".

I have thread stored in drawers and rolling storage cabinets and in plastic bins that stack. All sorted, of course by type (sewing, serging and ME) and color. I lay what I can flat, so I can quickly see the color as it seems as though the color codes for white and black are the only two that do not change.

I also have the stationary peg racks and a small one the revolves - don't use any of them for thread that I intend to use as being in the open, they collect dust.

Old, colorful thread that I will not be using is displayed in large, clear display bottles and that revolving rack as decoration in my sewing area. Most of this thread was handed down to me.

I did purchase the usable thread, but not all at once, so I do not quality for my own shop.

-- Edited on 2/13/13 2:14 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 2/13/13 2:09 PM

I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm for thread. My sewing desk has drawers that will hold almost 50 CONES of thread. I really like that I can see each one easily. I have other cabinets for spools but the ones in the drawer are those that I use the most, the others are more specialty type threads, i.e., metallics, topstitch, variegated, etc. But, I just love thread and it's hard to resist buying more.
I do have a membership in Superior Threads Thread-of-the-month club. So much for my resistance.
I bought one of the Bisley 10 drawer storage cabinets for my spools. Bisley 10-drawer
I love it, and have thought about getting a second unit as well.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 2/13/13 2:25 PM

I could spend $1,000 in that store in 10 minutes lol. Il love their stuff

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 2/13/13 5:26 PM

cart

This is what I use for Isacord thread. 300 spools in one cart. I like that the drawers can pull out. After MUCH effort I organized my thread according to color and then did a master list with the numeric numbers with the drawer number and row. I won't even say how long this took but it saves time in the end.
This cart is the best i have found. To explain further...there are 7 or 8 spools to a row...7 rows in a box. I separated the rows with strips of cardboard I cut out. I put all of each color in each drawer...so say one drawer of reds...from light to dark. Then I made a master list with what numbers are in each box and row. THUS...I can see all my reds with one look and decide what looks good for my project...but if I want to go to the exact color recommended by the designer I go to my master list where i have all the threads in numeric order and beside this I have the box # and row # where i have placed that exact thread. Once the system is set up it is really easy!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 0:02 AM

THIS is what I use. Try to coordinate by color the drawers. I don't remember mine costing this much so you may want to shop around. These roll under the counter/tables in my sewing room nicely. They keep the dust off and where they are located, the light stays away too.

------
Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Janome Coverpro 1000, Babylock BLCS, Juki 654, Juki 735, Janome 1600PDB, Brother ULT 2002D, Babylock Spirit, Brother 770

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 2/14/13 10:26 AM

Quote: Mrs.Moos
THIS is what I use. Try to coordinate by color the drawers. I don't remember mine costing this much so you may want to shop around. These roll under the counter/tables in my sewing room nicely. They keep the dust off and where they are located, the light stays away too.

That is one of the carts that I use for ME thread and stabilizers.

I think it was about $20 less a few years ago at JoAnn.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 2/14/13 10:39 AM

I have questions!
Do you store the spools upright? How many spools fit in a drawer? Do you use any kind of divider?
I'm feeling hopeful.

------

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 2/14/13 10:43 AM

Duh! It never occurred to me that The Container Store had a website. While looking at the Bisley, I happened upon this one. A trip to Dallas may be added to my To Do list.
How many spools fit in one drawer of the Bisley? Do you store spools up right?
Thanks for the link!

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Thread Storage?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 8107

photo
by: Kristine K...

Review
Vogue Patterns 8821

photo
by: annie11

Review
8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

More Info
Beginner Sewing Lab 102 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 102  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.