SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Kenneth King class on jeans

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Kenneth King class on jeans
determined
determined
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/29/12
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 8:41 AM

Hi all- There is an online class on Craftsy.com by Kenneth King on cloning your favorite jeans. I have a ways to go before I get there but I already have my favorite pair safely put away for that day :-).

I was wondering if anyone has taken this class and what you thought. It is half price at the moment and since it doesn't expire I don't mind that I wouldn't use it for a bit. Opinions appreciated!

devviePuu
star
devviePuu
Intermediate
Member since 1/11/10
Send Message

In reply to determined <<

Date: 2/14/13 9:45 AM

i have the class, am currently going through it, AND i've had a chance to work personally with Kenneth on using this method to copy garments.

honestly, it's fabulous. his work process is a little unexpected - it may seem like he is overthinking it or adding too many steps - but it's completely worth it.

also, when you are done, you'll see that you can adapt his copying method to any other garment you own (or like), and his fly-front insertion tutorial is possibly the best method in the history of the universe. :-)

i always grab the craftsy classes on sale, as well, so that is my two cents. :-)

------
puu
http://puusdooroftime.wordpress.com

determined
determined
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/29/12
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 10:13 AM

Super! Thanks

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 11:16 AM

I'm currently enrolled in the Jeanius class and have finished my tracing and the muslin for my favorite pair of jeans. I am impressed how well the muslin fits me -of course, my favorite pair of jeans (the one I traced) are my favorite because of the fit!

Go for it. SIgn up for the class - you won't be disappointed.
-- Edited on 2/14/13 11:16 AM --

------
Kemish

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 11:31 AM

You will have forever to do the lessons, so take advantage of the sale price.

One thing that a negative review said is that he doesn't show construction techniques specific to jeans, like putting in rivets. The focus of the class is to copy the fit of the garment you have, not how to make a pair of pants look like jeans. That is, it isn't a how-to-construct-jeans class, it's a copy-a-garment-class that happens to be using a pair of jeans for the example. If you want a copy of the jeans or any other piece of clothing that you have that fits well without having to take it apart, then this class will show you how to do it.

He's a great teacher and I think his explanations for how to do things is pretty clear especially as he demonstrates every step. If it is not clear, he is fairly prompt at answering questions. The questions others have asked might clarify things, too. Some questions have been asked a few times (where can I get organza?...), so check the existing questions first because chances are that you weren't the only one with that question.

------
Fictionfan

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Fictionfan <<

Date: 2/14/13 12:18 PM

I don't have a pair of jeans to copy, but I've taken classes with KK and I bought this one on sale. I think that it's a great class for learning to copy anything rtw. It is not, as said above the definitive class on how to construct rtw jeans. However, there is a long thread here on PR about constructing jeans that is worth your while to read because it does talk about how to sew rtw details.
He is a great teacher and if you want to copy a pair of jeans, this is a great place to do it. It's even on sale right now.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 1:18 PM

I've thought about taking this class, but I don't have any "RTW" to measure from.

Kathi R
star
Kathi R
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 1:34 PM

We just discussed the class at my ASG Neighborhood Group meeting and looked at the starting point, pattern making steps and finished garment that one of our members made while taking the class. I was really impressed with the process - simple and yet very accurate.

I better wander over the to Craftsy and see about buying the class while it is on sale.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

determined
determined
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/29/12
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 1:45 PM

Thanks for all of the tips and comments. I went ahead and bought the class. Now if I can ever find time and energy at the same time I might get to start sewing!

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 2/14/13 9:44 PM

I totally agree!
I thought the negative reviewer had expectations that were not what the class focus was, so her disappointment had to do with misunderstanding what he was teaching. That's why I mentioned it, so that someone signing on understands that and isn't distracted from the true value of the class by anticipating jeans-specific construction that isn't there. Even without those details that I don't really care about one way or another, his construction techniques are worth learning just for how to assemble a pair of pants.

He is a GREAT teacher! I took a couple PR classes from him just to take the class from him, not because I was interested in the topic, per se. I learned so much from each one! And he is entertaining to listen to.

I don't really have anything I want to copy, but I enrolled in the class last year anyway just to learn from watching how he works.
-- Edited on 2/14/13 9:45 PM --

------
Fictionfan

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Kenneth King class on jeans

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Simplicity 2825

photo
by: cybperry

Review
8 1/2 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 1/2 inch Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now
Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Sew Chic Fifth Avenue Dress Pattern (ln1311)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.