SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Upholstery sewing machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Upholstery sewing machine
Pfaff 7570
Lilly V
Lilly V
Member since 2/14/13
Send Message

Date: 2/14/13 10:19 PM

I am wanting to start upholstering again and was looking for the best sewing machine for this. I have an opportunity to buy a Pfaff 7570 (without the embroidery accessory) for $600. This machine was made in 1996. I really want an easy to use, simple heavy duty machine. I don't need all the bells and whistles. I would appreciate any input or suggestions. Thank you!

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Lilly V <<

Date: 2/15/13 0:09 AM

7570 is a nice machine but not for upholstery IMHO. I had a very unpleasant experience with mine just trying to fix a backpack seam...the feet fell off because when the foot hit the huge seams it was just too much leverage and then the machine did not go through the heavy seams. My old Bernina sewed through it all like butter and the feet did not fall off as they are designed totally differently. Others might have other opinions.
The 7570 has a very good reputation and that is why I bought mine. It is very nice for garment sewing and other "normal" sewing. If I want to repair shoes or sandals or backpacks I go to my old Bernina's.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Topic moved Date: 2/15/13 7:04 AM

This topic has been moved from NEW to PatternReview? to Sewing Machines

Lilly V
Lilly V
Member since 2/14/13
Send Message

In reply to threaddy <<

Date: 2/15/13 8:21 AM

Thank you for your advice. Is there a specific Bernina model you would recommend? Also do you recommend buying used, or brand new? I plan to recover 4 upholstered chairs. Thank you again. I am new to this site and I appreciate you quick response!

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Lilly V <<

Date: 2/15/13 9:51 AM

Hello.. as most know .. I upholstery all the time.. with five dogs its a must. Mostly i only have to sew piping/welting and on now and then install a zipper.. Some seams.. esp those you might put thru the washer.. should be serged.. So .. you may very well need a serger.. or an appropriate stitch as a substitute for a serged edge..

I use a Janome 1600 for most of my piping.. its fast and does a good SS.. For really HEAVY fabrics.. leathers.. or thick chenilles.. a vintage machine.. or a current model with a good horsepower motor is best.. Bernina does make an industrial.. its not recommended by me though.. Too noisy.. too shaky.. IMHO.. There are other industrials that are better..

Be sure and keep your bobbin area cleaned frequently when working with most home doc fabrics..

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Lilly V <<

Date: 2/15/13 12:46 PM

Not new for upholstery...one of the older models a 930 or 1630. I like the 9mm because you have so much more ability to change needle positions. After thinking about this I am wondering if a Juki industrial might be better? If you are going to upholster all the time I think you would be better served with that. For occasional work the Bernina is fine. Bernina is known for it's motor....but it is STILL a household sewing machine. I have put a Juki in my Amazon wish list...idea

John French has an awesome teaching set for slipcovers, which is what I like to do. Google John French DIY slipcovers. He has been discussed here on PR as well.
I would also suggest searching for all the upholstery threads and slippcover topics as well as discussions on industrial machines....there have been MANY over the years. Type in words such as upholstery, slipcovers, industrial machines, recover or re-cover...the search engine here is a bit picky so you need to put in various algorithms to find what you want. Do your search in messages not topics.
Very best wishes in your search!!!
If your project is just the 4 chairs and you want a nice sewing machine then an older Bernina would be a good choice. I just get nervous with gnarly sewing on a fully computerized machine...
There are so many choices...at least this gets you started. I have multiple machines because not one sewing machine does it all unfortunately....and on any sewing project I am switching from machine to machine constantly...and I do mean constantly...good thing my chair has wheels!
-- Edited on 2/15/13 12:54 PM --

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Lilly V <<

Date: 2/15/13 1:00 PM

look for older machine like the pfaff 130 or the 260 they are good strong machines. There are some singers out there too.
Look at you local craiglist or your local sewing centers they might have good used machines.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Lilly V
Lilly V
Member since 2/14/13
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 2/18/13 10:04 AM

Thank you for your response . I am a bit overwhelmed with all that is out there. I went on eBay looking for a possible good used machine. What would you recommend for a brand? I don't plan to use leather so I need something to sew through 4 layers of typical upholstery fabric. (for piping) I would also like to be able to use on regular fabric only for repair. My current machine broke and I don't want to buy anymore than one machine. Thank you

Lilly V
Lilly V
Member since 2/14/13
Send Message

In reply to Lynnelle <<

Date: 2/18/13 10:15 AM

I am new to your site, as well as message boards. You said that mine was moved, but am not sure about the best way to access information. Do I go to pattern review.com and then MY pattern review? I am also not sure what the access key is all about, I just used the B* because it was bold and listed first. Any explanation you could give would be appreciated. Thank you.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Lilly V <<

Date: 2/18/13 10:39 AM

ooops i did not realize you are not a member. I do not think you can search the wealth of information that is on this site without becoming a member but maybe I am wrong. If someone else can confirm that would be nice.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Upholstery sewing machine

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 2209

photo
by: prttynpnk

Review
Other Sewing World 08-2012

photo
by: nellc

Review
You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

You Sew Girl Baguette Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.