SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > single needle brother machines ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
single needle brother machines
any help on using metro thread
mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 2/15/13 7:17 AM

I don't use this on my 6 needle as I have marathon and arc that works on it. I do have several brother single needle machines as I have upgraded and kept my machines. I have the full set of metro large cones bought when it first came on the market and want to be able to use it on the single needle machines. I am not having much success. I am using a thread stand but the thread pools at the bottom of the cone and I am getting lots of thread breaks. I haven't had a lot of luck with thread nets in the past but maybe I am doing that wrong. Could some of you that use the metro embroidery thread for machine embroidery sucessfully weigh in? What type needle,bobbin thread, tension, anything you use or do with metro? I am thinking of buying a horizontal thread holder for cones or having dh make me one to see if that would help with the pooling. I also found many of the large cones had a burr/nick on the bottom that would catch when the thread pools but am filing that smooth. I have very nice quality thread being a threadaholic that I use but would like to be able to use the metro I own if possible. Many seem to use this and like it. Any help would be appreciated.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 2/15/13 8:08 AM

I have a Brother 8500D embroidery machine. I judiciously only bought 10 spools of Metro - mostly neutrals. My machine hates them - the black shreds horribly. I can do small projects sometimes with the lighter colors. All but three still have the packaging on them. Unfortunately I do not have the patience to work with them; not worth the aggravation.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 2/15/13 9:07 AM

There's an 8500 here in the mix of single needles too. I was one of the early purchasers of metro when not much was known about it and they had a special. I suppose I can use them for bobbin winding and/or decorative stitching on the regular sewing machine but am still hoping to conquer them. I was wondering if using those needles with the larger eyes would help reduce friction. Some people stitch away with this stuff and I am wondering what is the magic bullet. It is wildly popular due to price and some say they are happy so I am wondering why that is. On the single needles I use nebs a lot but changed to a cotton type prewound just experimenting. I haven't tried the larger eyed type needles or the titanium coated or putting the cones on horizontal stand or sewer's aid but am going to. I'm hoping some that use this without issue will have some ideas or tell the rest of us how they are getting it to stitch without constant breaks.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/15/13 10:34 AM

I would try horizontal feed.

There is more than one company that have a dying process that weaken black thread and this causes shredding when stitching larger areas. Usually okay for outlines.

Then, occasionally you get a spool that just misbehaves. I refer to these as being the last batch produced on "it's party time Friday afternoon" or the first batch produced on "hang over Monday".

I wouldn't dismiss an entire brand.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 2/15/13 10:59 AM

I am definitely trying the horizontal feed from both ends of this stuff. I used the free shipping code at Nancy's notion and got the superior thread holder stand that can also be used horizontally (large cones). I was in a retail therapy mood and got a silicon lubricant cup and a supply of silicon off ebay that the thread feeds through to assist with breakage and fraying. I also bought the larger eyed size 11 needles and a martelli thread spinner that I was wanting to try anyway not just for the metro thread.
I got one of those Friday or Monday spools you mentioned once from marathon. I had to laugh at this description-very funny. It was orange and I had put it into the garbage and tried one last thing (winding a bobbin to color match) and that at least worked but I will need to wind a lot of orange bobbins to use it. Lol! I got a couple of maxi lok thread cones also that I had to return after I figured out they were defective. They almost made me crazy before I realized that batch had issues. The other maxilok I have no issues with so it must have been the party time ones they made.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 2/15/13 12:19 PM

Actually using on the bobbin is something I had not thought of. Since I bought so few I have not cared so much but the white works well on my Janome 300E; the black not so good on the Janome either. I have tried a large eye with little luck. I have tried a thread stand and horizontal so I also wonder how others use it without issue.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 2/15/13 1:36 PM

My weird spool of orange worked on the bobbin so hope yours will also. When you tried the metro horizontally did you try both directions? I am wondering if it pools as much horizontally as it does vertically. I had a spool of metallic that would work horizontally and from the wrong end. I am going to try one thing at a time with the metro so if I do succeed in conquering it I'll know what did it. The only thing I haven't tried already is lowering the upper tension a bit like when using metallics-guess I should give that a go before my order arrives. Thanks for your ideas and what you have tried to get it to work. Maybe some one else has some suggestions we can try. I'll post if I ever get it figured out.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 7:20 AM

I read in some older messages that one successful metro user drops the tension on both of her machines when using. I plan to try this . She didn't say how much so guess it will be a couple of clicks to start with. I have to do this on metallics. I plan to try this first.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 8:24 AM

Thanks. I can tell you that the Metro thread is the only kind my Brother or Janome machines do not like. So there is something about it that is different. My embroidery girls are not too picky - my 300E likes a thread stand most of the time but that is as picky as she gets. I have not tried using the Metro horizontally from the opposite end so I can try that.

------

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 2/16/13 8:53 AM

Me too as its the only thread brand I own that is problematic. I am going to loosen tension and try the other things one at a time to see if I can get it to run. I will report back as I try each thing.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> single needle brother machines

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Vogue Patterns 1173

photo
by: maryfrana

Review
SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Gunmetal

Lolita Patterns Gunmetal

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.