SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Why are Designers Almost all Men? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why are Designers Almost all Men?
Ny Times Fashion Show
maryl
star
maryl
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 6/24/05
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 9:12 AM

just watched the video on the NY Times website about Fashion Week in New York. All but one of the designers (Diane V. F.) they showcased were men.

Maybe that's why I so rarely like any of the clothes I see at these fashion shows. I know we have lots of young sewers on this website. Get famous! Make classy clothes we would all be happy to wear!

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/16/13 10:46 AM

I have wondered the same thing. Probably this is why all the clothes are only going to look good on a women with little to no bust (imo)

------
Ada

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to maryl <<

Date: 2/16/13 11:31 AM

Maybe its because us women are not going to design and sew clothing and then sell it.. Which goes along with the thought that no way will I sew for others..

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 11:58 AM

Women cry too much????

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/16/13 12:28 PM

remember the guys on project runway who were upset when their models had boobs. the men design for impossible figures, women must look in the mirror occasionally and say 'not going to happen'

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 3:28 PM

the pr designers are under impossible time constraints, and it takes time to draft or drape for a model with boobs, particulary when they are so prominent that the judges' eyes will be drawn to the fit of the bodice. Note that the models only come in for a couple of hours, tops.

PR is also edited to distort the process. It may make for great television, but as a documentary, it falls flat.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

rivergum
starstarstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 2/16/13 3:53 PM

Men tend to put themselves forward a lot more than women. I have worked in environments that are mostly female, but when someone needs to get up and speak in front of the group, it is VERY disproportionately men. Ditto with promotions positions. I have also worked in environments with mostly men, and the women fade even further in the background or stay away altogether if they can.

The evolutionary explanation is that men's role in propagating their genes is much more high stakes than women's. Women will have babies, but the number is limited by nature. A successful man can father hundreds of children, an unsuccessful man none. This leads to high risk behaviour being built into men. (Testosterone comes to mind here.)

High risk behaviour will lead to spectacular successes In some and spectacular failures in others. Women are generally clustered around the mean, while men are spread much more widely, inhabiting both extremes. You find many more men at the top, but also at the bottom.

All that said, i know my body and what suits it. Sewing for others is a gamble and i avoid it because i think they could well end up disappointed. With men, if they like women's clothes enough to want to design them, they need to design for others in the first place, not themselves. Unless they like to cross dress of course.

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 4:50 PM

Maybe most of them don't sew? I'm trying to decide if I'm joking or serious lol. I thought I read somewhere that Christian Dior would draw and design but did not sew. That leaves the really tough stuff to us women. (Tongue in cheek humor here.)

Personally, I classify a brilliant designer as one who does both and also understands the complexities of the female shape. Kenneth King comes to mind, and IMO, he is a brilliant designer by my definition.

-- Edited on 2/16/13 4:52 PM --

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to rivergum <<

Date: 2/16/13 4:52 PM

Quote:
The evolutionary explanation is that men's role in propagating their genes is much more high stakes than women's. Women will have babies, but the number is limited by nature. A successful man can father hundreds of children, an unsuccessful man none. This leads to high risk behaviour being built into men. (Testosterone comes to mind here.)

That is a good biological explanation. You can see that spotlight-hogging behavior in many, many non-human species, too, as in this astounding video courtesy of David Attenborough.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

In reply to maryl <<

Date: 2/16/13 7:56 PM

Quote: maryl
just watched the video on the NY Times website about Fashion Week in New York. All but one of the designers (Diane V. F.) they showcased were men.

This video?
from Gray to Technicolor

Perhaps the other designers didn't fit the theme of this particular essay as well as the ones who were featured. The New York Times is enthusiastic when it comes to fashion coverage--and several female designers are covered in other videos and reviews.

The reporters who work on this beat are critics, not transcriptionists, so perhaps the male designers, on average, made more of an impression.
-- Edited on 2/16/13 7:58 PM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Why are Designers Almost all Men?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2011-101

photo
by: tigergirl

Review
You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

More Info
Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

Christine Jonson Tie-Back Top

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.