SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Recommend Board shorts for boys 10-15y.o.? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Recommend Board shorts for boys 10-15y.o.?
Looking for a simple pattern for charity sewing
Sew Whatever
star
Sew Whatever  Friend of PR
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 9:38 AM

Just found out my profile was featuredand I guess it comes with a 20% coupon. So, I mostly draft my own stuff, but I have been sewing clothes for the pre-teens in the orphan village where my friend works in Ethiopia.
I hadn't got to drafting the knee length shorts for the boys, so thought I might look at actually buying a pattern for a change.
Any recommendations? Especially as I need to make generic sizes. The boys are obviously thinner than your average western kid. They don't need pockets and stuff because it is easy to draft your own, but simple ones would be a nice time saving addition.
Thanks!
-- Edited on 2/16/13 9:39 AM --

------
Sandy in the UK
A practitioner of the Chop, Chop, Sew, Sew method of sewing
(otherwise known as Make It Up in Your Head!)

Laurasews
star
Laurasews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/27/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/16/13 10:13 AM

Jalie 2678 might be a good option. You can purchase it from PR. I haven't made it yet, but I find these patterns fit all my boys (5, 8, 10 & 50 years old, includung DH) well. It comes in a wide range of sizes and gets good reviews on PR.

Jalie Board Shorts

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 10:21 AM

When my son was a kid, I was very pleased with the fit and ease of construction of KwikSew boys' patterns. One Example

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Sew Whatever <<

Date: 2/16/13 10:51 AM

Interesting, my son is on the board of Kidmia, Ethiopian orphanage
which builds villages to care for them til they can be reunited with families. Also Seed Adoption has started the first in-country adoptions by working with the country's pastors. You can find stories about both online.

I make pillowcase dresses and Softie fleece toys for him to take over. Last time in a rush, I collected nice shorts for boys at our thrift-store half-price days.

PJ patterns work for shorts too. There are a lot of free multi-size patterns online.
You can save time sewing by leaving out the side seams in boys' shorts, put it on the fold instead--then one curve has to be cut as the back and one as the front. They love soccer, so try to use
big-boy prints and I double-stitch seams. Drawstrings are a nice extra for slim boys, I buy narrow clothesline bundles to save money.

Sew Whatever
star
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 12:17 PM

Thanks everybody. I could easily draft it, but I thought if I had a discount I might try getting a pattern. Not sure though if there will be an international shipping charge that would cancel out the discount. Does anyone know? How does it work with buying patterns from PR when you live in a different country?

Laurasews - It was the Jalie one I remembered people talking about. (the previous link didn't work because it had the extra http:// bit.) Good to know it fits different sizes. Does the extra seaming and patterning add alot to the time in making them up? on the other hand, it would already make it easy to use up remnants if you didn't have to alter the pattern.

Karla - The Kwick sew pattern looks easier. Especially for churning out about 10 at a time. But it doesn't seem to be available in the PR shop.

Gramma B - I will look up the links you sent. My friend is in Grace Village in Tigrinia...up on the border with Eritrea.
I have other friends who have adopted 2 girls through one of the homes connected with Mother Teresa in Addis Addaba.

I should probably compare prices with what I can get over here first, and save the discount for something else. I am not used to looking for patterns to purchase.
Thanks again.
-- Edited on 2/16/13 12:20 PM --
-- Edited on 2/16/13 12:22 PM --

------
Sandy in the UK

Laurasews
star
Laurasews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/27/04
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 3:04 PM

Sew Whatever,
So glad you were able to figure out the link. I was working on my iPad when I sent the first message, and I find it harder to do somethings on that.
I have not made the Jalie board shorts myself (although, I just found out we are going to Hawaii for spring break...so I better get started!). I would imagine the piecing would take more time, but I think you could probably join some of the pattern pieces to avoid the piecing and save time. What I like is that there are so many sizes...and I have been very happy with the fit of other Jalie patterns I have made. Over Christmas I made all 4 of my boys T-shirts with a Jalie pattern and they are wonderful. If they are clean, that is the shirt the boys reach for.
I find Kwik Sew patterns also work well, but they are much more generous in ease, while Jalie tends to be more RTW in terms of ease.

Good luck! Sounds like a great cause.
Laurasews

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 3:16 PM

It cam up when I did a search. KS3398

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Sew Whatever
star
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/24/10
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<

Date: 2/16/13 5:08 PM

Oh thanks Karla, you must have a magic touch for searching. or maybe it is easier if you are a PRfriend or whatever!
I might have a go at ordering this one and see what happens with the international ordering.

Laura, I think I would use the other one if I were making for someone specific. But even if the Kwick Sew runs big, I can choose a smaller size or trace it off and do my own chopping and changing for a thin child. The Kwick Sew costs a little less, so if the postage brings it back up to the total, it won't be too expensive.

Cool! you all have been such a big help. I am always a bit lacking in confidence with drafting for someone I can't try it on! of course my friend said they can always find someone it will fit, and the children they support in the community who are with relatives also need things. But the whole point was that they don't get as many donations for their over 10 y.o. children.

------
Sandy in the UK

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

In reply to Sew Whatever <<

Date: 2/16/13 5:24 PM

I have placed an international order from PR a number of times, and would suggest it is a really good deal if you are ordering a few patterns, perhaps not so much if you are just ordering one or two.

I add patterns to my wishlist I can't get here in NZ - like jalie's - and then place an order when there is a sale or I have enough to make the postage worthwhile.

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

LonestarLady
star
LonestarLady  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 7/20/05
Send Message

Date: 2/16/13 11:59 PM

Here's a link to a PDF pattern to make "Britches for Boys" specifically aimed at making clothes for children in Africa link

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Recommend Board shorts for boys 10-15y.o.?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Sew Liberated Sunday Picnic Blouse and Dress

Sew Liberated Sunday Picnic Blouse and Dress

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Valencia Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 2339

photo
by: wingamajig

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.