SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > so frustrated ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
so frustrated
RobA.
RobA.  Friend of PR
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/23/04
Send Message

Date: 2/17/13 2:13 PM

I pulled my old sewing machine out of the closet and decided to sew again about some 40 years. I bought a simple pattern for pull-on pants, and decided to be smart and make a muslin. I am on try 5 or 6 to get these pants wearable. The first time they looked wonderful, but pulled against my thigh when I raised my knee. When I raised the knee farther, the back center seam split. I tried measuring my thigh and comparing it to the pattern -- seemed ok. I tried changing the torso length. Nope. So I made the next size up, which put me from Misses to Women's, and the result is huge. So I tried modifying the size -- and the back center seam ripped. I am just heartbroken -- cause I really want to sew -- and frustrated that I can't get this very simple thing right.

------
Rob

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/17/13 2:23 PM

Pants are not that easy to get the fit right especially considering you've haven't sewed in a long time. Do not feel bad about this. :)

------
Stash: 172.5 yds. @ 12.27.14

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

Date: 2/17/13 2:30 PM

Where exactly is the seam ripping? It sounds like you may need the back carved out to make room for you body (the body space concept) or perhaps you simply need a bit more fabric there (full backside). It's two sort of opposite solutions for backside issues, both of which have to do with getting the fabric to cover your shape. Photos of front, back, and side views would give us an idea of how you should proceed.

Don't despair! Pants fitting is NOT EASY!
Fitting books most commonly suggested on PR are Fit For Real People, Pants for Real People, and Fast Fit.

What pattern are you using?

------
Fictionfan

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/17/13 2:37 PM

This pattern you purchased, is it for knit or woven?

Did you cut the right size according to your measurements and those on the pattern envelope?

Using new thread or old thread.

Muslin, new or old (worn/unstable) fabric?

It could be the chosen pattern size, or what was used to construct the "muslin".

I have found if I try on garments from a big box store, that is the size I will need for making my own clothing. May, or may not work for you as well.

This Class may help. You will get a pattern and the lessons are at your leisure.

Or, this one.

-- Edited on 2/17/13 2:50 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Marilly
Marilly
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 7/9/06
Send Message

In reply to RobA. <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/17/13 3:11 PM

I've never thought of pants as easy since I was 20 something and it was a pajama. < : )
What pattern are you using? I like the Burda patterns or any pant pattern that features a markedly shorter crotch length in the the front than the back since that puts less fabric up front to bunch when I walk.
If you can post a pic of what you're working on, front back & side, that'd help the folks here spot the problems with your current pant muslin. These people here seem to know how to read wrinkles like tea leaves. : )
Shel

KathySews
star
KathySews
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 2/17/13 3:22 PM

I run screaming from pants. I am now working through my phobia with the help of the craftsy class.

I do have a suggestion. Spend some time going through the reviews to find someone with a similar body type as you. I returned to sewing after many years and found that I cannot sew any pattern right out of the envelope. I really don't think anyone can. The book Fit For Real People was a real eye opener for me.

And, welcome to PR.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Marilly <<

Date: 2/17/13 3:22 PM

Quote:
What pattern are you using? I like the Burda patterns

I do, too. I know this doesn't happen with everyone and Burda, but the first pants I made for my middle-aged body fit almost perfectly right out of the envelope (just shortened). I made them from a Burda pattern. I was amazed, because the last time I had sewn pants for myself was when I was 18 and those didn't even fit as well as the Burdas.

When I read all the hair-tearing stories on here about fitting pants, I'm afraid to use anything other than Burda -- or Ottobre Woman. Almost every time I use a different brand of pattern, I end up having to redraft the life out of it. I don't see any reason to make life more difficult for myself.

-- Edited on 2/17/13 3:28 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: me, about four decades ago

KathySews
star
KathySews
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 2/17/13 3:30 PM

yes, I should have added that I also love Burda patterns

RobA.
RobA.  Friend of PR
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 11/23/04
Send Message

Date: 2/17/13 3:54 PM

Wow, thanks everyone. I actually now agree that I need a curvier back part to the pattern. I am also vaguely remembering a old suspicion about Simplicity patterns -- this is Siimplicity 2155. I was using Swedish tracing paper -- my one smart move, because I wanted an idea of how it would fit before using the pretty cotton I bought in Seattle at Stitches. And it was the center back seam that split. The first warning, though, was that when I bent and lifted my knee, the fabric pulled and I did not have the room to do that motion. The seat pulled down dramatically when I did that too. That kind of fits with the needs-a-curve in back, doesn't it?

------
Rob

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

In reply to RobA. <<

Date: 2/17/13 4:05 PM

Quote: RobA.
I am just heartbroken -- cause I really want to sew -- and frustrated that I can't get this very simple thing right.

To echo everyone else, pants are not a "very simple thing," LOL. Tote bags out of rectangles of fabric are very simple. The subtle curvature of a crotch is *not* very simple. Don't even think about beating yourself up over this!

You are not alone in your frustration. Here is what happened when I tried, if you want some commiseration. I still don't have pants.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> so frustrated

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 4968 OOP (50s/60s)

photo
by: gabc

Review
Primrose Lane Primrose Lane Miranda

photo
by: Marla1

Review
Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.