SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > coverlock machines ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
coverlock machines
Choosing a coverlock machine
shazz48
shazz48
Member since 5/1/09
Send Message

Date: 2/18/13 4:29 AM

Hi
I would like to buy a coverlock machine. Have been looking at the pfaff 4862, but would like to know how it compares with the elna, babylock coverstitch machines or what other coverstitch machines would be recommended. Quality of stitch, performance and ease of use are a few of the requirements I am looking for
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Shazz

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to shazz48 <<

Date: 2/18/13 8:18 AM

I am not familiar with BL coverstitch machines. Does anyone know if they make a CS with JetAir and auto tensioning?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/18/13 8:28 AM

Having both the BL coverstitch and the Pfaff (4874 not the 4872), I would say hands down the Bablylock. The Pfaff and I never got along and now it grudgingly lets me keep it in serger mode even though I bought it to use as a dedicated coverstitch.
The Babylock coverstitch is great. The price stinks, but I was able to get mine off of Kijiji from someone who was upgrading to an industrial Juki coverstitch.

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to shazz48 <<

Date: 2/18/13 9:22 AM

For sewing machines, I madly adore Pfaff. For coverstitch machines, I madly adore Babylock.

Absolutely hands down beyond any doubt whatsoever (and I too previously owned the Pfaff 4874), nothing but nothing beats the Babylock coverstitch machine. Best cs machine ever, imo!

The BLCS has jet air threading, and while the tensions are set manually, I have never changed the settings on mine for any type of fabric. Set and forget.

-- Edited on 2/18/13 9:23 AM --

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 2/18/13 10:47 AM

My BLCS is awesome. My time is valuable...yes, I can get some cheaper machine and spend hours futzing with it as many do. I prefer to sit down and sew on a machine that does the job with no fight. Time and frustration have a price tag too IMHO

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

angeleyes88
star
angeleyes88
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 2/11/10
Send Message

Date: 2/18/13 1:54 PM

I have a pfaff 4850 serger/coverstitch machines and a janome coverpro 1000cpx.

I love my serger but hate having to switch to the coverstitch mode, i find it a pita. So i bought the janome coverpro which i love. Are you thinking a serger/coverstitch combo or a standalone machine? here's a comparison of all coverstitch machines.
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.ca/2010/05/coverstitch-comparison-chart_8238.htmlstitches and seams
-- Edited on 2/18/13 1:55 PM --

------
http://sewchicmama.blogspot.com

shazz48
shazz48
Member since 5/1/09
Send Message

In reply to ConnieBJ <<

Date: 2/18/13 3:22 PM

Thank you for that information Connie. It is mainly coverstitch that I am wanting, so will wait a little longer.
Shazz

shazz48
shazz48
Member since 5/1/09
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 2/18/13 3:24 PM

Thank you Lynn. I will wait till I can get a Babylock.
Shazz

shazz48
shazz48
Member since 5/1/09
Send Message

In reply to threaddy <<

Date: 2/18/13 3:26 PM

Thank you Threaddy. I too would like a machine that does the job
without too much messing around.
Shazz

shazz48
shazz48
Member since 5/1/09
Send Message

In reply to angeleyes88 <<

Date: 2/18/13 3:30 PM

Thank you for your post. Initially I was going for a combo set-up, but am rethinking that now. I do have a Brother overlocker 1034D and I was thinking of selling that and getting a overlock/coverlock combined, but may just look for a coverlock for now.
Shazz

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> coverlock machines

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

KnipMode Magazine 12-2011-25

photo
by: treefrog

Review
Petite Plus 202 Pattern

Petite Plus 202 Pattern

Buy Now
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.