SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Brother PC 420 PRW ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother PC 420 PRW
Buying used?
Barbie.dragon
Barbie.dragon
Member since 2/12/13
Send Message

Date: 2/18/13 9:10 PM

I found a person selling a Brother PC 420 PRW for 200 dollars on Craigslist. She says bought it to take a sewing class (10 sessions) and she finally decided sewing wasn't for her. So she's selling the machine off for $200. This will be my first machine. Do you think it's wise to buy it from her or buy it from a dealer? The machine is working great apparently and comes with all the accessories.

Does anyone know if you can buy a presser foot lever knee lift thing for the PC 420?

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/18/13 9:53 PM

That model should have come with one but you can call Brother customer service. The number is listed at the website. Look on eBay or contact a Brother dealer, Preferably one that is an authorized service center. Good luck!

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 2/18/13 10:12 PM

The price is really good for this machine. If her feedback is good, go for it. They come with a knee lift.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Barbie.dragon <<

Date: 2/18/13 11:16 PM

I bought the one I had used. It was like new. She may be honest about that. It should come with the knee life. That is an excellent price. I paid more than that but I got a couple of hundred dollars in quilting/sewing supplies. It is a good machine. I would want to see it in action to make sure that it works.

Barbie.dragon
Barbie.dragon
Member since 2/12/13
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 2/19/13 0:40 AM

So it's not a weird request to see the machine in action right?

lilymom
lilymom
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

Date: 2/19/13 7:47 AM

Not at all! An honest seller would let you test drive the machine. You should test it with a variety of materials (woven, stretch, lightweight, etc.) and should also try out buttonholes, decorative stitches, etc. Focus especially on the type of sewing you plan to do.

If they won't let you try the machine, walk away ... there's probably a reason.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Barbie.dragon <<

Date: 2/19/13 10:30 AM

It is definitely not a weird question. When I bought mine used, the seller had no problem turning it on and letting me use it. I could tell she had not used it much so I wasn't worried but I felt better buying it after seeing it sew. It is not a great deal if you pay $200 for the machine and then have to pay $200 to get it repaired or more. You could buy a new one for that. HTh

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/20/13 7:56 PM

Let us know what you bought!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Barbie.dragon
Barbie.dragon
Member since 2/12/13
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 9:36 PM

Well I finally brought the little bugger home! It took a few tries to get the threading and bobbin thing done right. I haven't sewn in a few months so I'm a little rusty. I wasn't that good at sewing to begin with anyways... I sewed on some paper and it's pretty good! I did a zig zag and straight stitchHopefully I can get started on a basic sewing project super soon! Although the machine sews "slow" compared to the industrial machines I was taught using haha but it's good since they were quite intimidating! I'm so glad I can be a part of the sewing communityAnd I live 15 minutes away from an authorized brother dealer (I think that's a good thing). Thanks for the help everyone and I plan on staying!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/25/13 3:22 AM

We are sew excited for you embarking on your adventure! Can't wait to see what your first project will be.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Brother PC 420 PRW

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

McCall's 6446

photo
by: redeyedtre...

Review
DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Carry All Pattern

You Sew Girl Carry All Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.