SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Help deciding on sergers ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help deciding on sergers
Want a new serger...so many options...???
mikimom13
mikimom13
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 2/16/13
Send Message

Date: 2/19/13 12:54 PM

Greetings all!
I am new to the site..new to sergers as well...
I bought a serger from my mother's friend, a Ptaff 774 & had to pay $150 to get it working...it does not have deferential feed..and other stitches...so I am in the market for a new one...I have read a ton of reviews..which have helped, yet I am still having trouble deciding..
There is a Juki MO 735 or MO 655 that is not that expensive...or a Bernina 1150 MDA for $1200 or a Babylock Enlighten for $1999.95..I am also in the market for a coverstitch machine...I could get Janome Cover Pro..not sure which one..for $599...And a demo Bernina cover & chain stitch for $650...If I bought new machines the would give me classes...and if Juki..online so no help really...Can anyone help..PLease! Wanted to start sewing a week ago..

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Subject: Topic moved Date: 2/20/13 7:16 AM

This topic has been moved from NEW to PatternReview? to Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers

Sewmissy2
Sewmissy2
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 12/5/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/20/13 8:01 AM

I love the Baby Lock Enlighten. It threads itself and has no tensions. The lighting is excellent and it has a wave stitch. Very very easy to use. And if I could choose for you, I would add the Baby Lock Coverstitch machine. It has air threading for the looper and sews like a dream. The Baby Lock CS machine will allow you to chain off, which many other machines will not do.

You will pay more for Baby Locks, but they are so much easier to use that it is worth every penny.

------
Designer 1, bought in 2000
Simplicity 350 serger, bought about 1997
3 Tajima Neo single head embroidery machines
Digitizer by profession
Embroidery software: Tajima DGML by Pulse (commercial) also know Designer's Gallery and Floriani for home use.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Sewmissy2 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/20/13 8:09 AM

Universally, BLs are considered to be the sergers/coverstitches to own.
I have one and it's worth its weight in anything.
I skimped on the first ones that I bought and I was sorry, sorry, sorry. Then I got a BL. Could've saved money in the long run by buying the BL in the first place.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/20/13 10:45 AM

Quote: lgrande
Universally, BLs are considered to be the sergers/coverstitches to own.

Some of us might disagree about CS machines. I love both my Coverpro & my Brother 2340 and am not tempted a bit by BL CS.

And I am quite happy with my basic Janome-made Kenmore sergers. Others believe BL sergers are to be the only way to go for them. Your mileage -- and budget -- may vary.

Bottom line: try them out and decide what works for YOU and your sewing needs.

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 2/20/13 12:22 PM

I have the BL Evolution which does all the serger stitches as well as coverstitch and chainstitch. I'm very happy with the quality of stitching, ease of threading and range of stitches. I still have my old machine, Elna 905DCX which is now 14+ years old and it is still going strong.
I know some folks complain about having to switch back and forth, but it really isn't that bad, especially if you plan projects so you can do most of the CS at one time.

Good luck!

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

In reply to JKimes <<

Date: 2/20/13 1:50 PM

I also have the Evolution and love it to pieces. I'm a beginner to serging and coverstitch and it's been very easy to learn. It does take some time to switch out between coverstitch and serger, but I don't need to do it that often and my sewing room is getting pretty crowded, so I thought one machine vs 2 would be better. Like some others, I feel that the extra cost for BL, if you can swing it, is well worth it for ease of use and frustration-free sewing.

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

cherilindsey
cherilindsey  Friend of PR
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 9/2/09
Send Message

Date: 2/20/13 7:54 PM

I also have the Babylock Evolution and love it. I started with a Huskylock S25 then added a Janome Harmony then a Coverpro 1000. Recently I sold the first three and bought my Babylock and it is everything it's stacked up to being. Love it!
Cheri

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Elizabeth
Brother Innov-is 1250D
Singer Fashion Mate 362
Singer Model 99

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/20/13 8:41 PM

I have recently gone through the same thing and I will agree with pretty much everyone here about the Babylock's. I happened to acquire 2 within a couple of days - an Eclipse and an Imagine. Both have the Je-Air threading and it is so amazing! I never serged before, but can tell you that I can see how complicated it can get with some of these machines when it comes to threading. The Babylock's with the Jet-Air threading are a real time saver.

One thing that I noticed is I think I actually like having the tension dials of the Eclipse rather than the auto tension of the Imagine. I think I just like the ability to fine tune my tension to however I like it. But tons of people on here and elsewhere will swear by the Auto Thread Delivery system on the Babylock's and these are people who have serged for years. So I would definitely take their advice.

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

Date: 2/20/13 9:14 PM

Best suggestion I can offer is to go test drive machines. See what they can do, where the controls are located, ease of threading, cost of tuneups. For combo machines how smooth does the hem feed under the machine. What attachements are available for your machine? Bring your own fabrics, serge side seams and then try turning under a hem to see how well it sews both over the seam and how straight the stitching is.

For me personaly I love having a separate serger and a cover stitch machine. I have a whole sewing room and most of my machines are set up ready to go. Today I sewed a new knit pattern with a lot of gathering, a new to me neckline and the pattern size that had to be graded out. I used my Cover pro chain stitch to baste the whole thing to try on. Then I used my serger to sew it together, used the Coverlock to gather, top stitch back yoke, baste in sleeves, serged side seams on serger and cover stitched sleeve hems/bottom.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Help deciding on sergers

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Kwik Sew 3450

photo
by: Renren

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Buy Now
Mini Miranda Bag

Mini Miranda Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.