SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Bias Pants ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bias Pants
Threads Magazine # 166
PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/23/13 11:57 AM

Not sure where to place this....it looks confusing as well as creative, I guess.

You start with measurements of the thigh and hip circumferences, then pant length from waist to floor plus waistline casing and hem allowance.

Then you make two bias tubes; one for each leg.

Slit the entire width of the tubes at each end between the tops of the y-seam (graphic provided)

Next, you establish the crotch seam shape from your favorite crotch-seam pattern and then measure your body with a flexible ruler to establish the pant crotch-seam shape.

Lost yet?

Next You assemble the pants by placing one inside the other and stitching the crotch shape at the waist end of each tube.

Next, close the magazine and take a nap........

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 2/23/13 12:31 PM

I vote for the nap.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 2/23/13 4:00 PM

I too vote for a nap or just anything else. I don't think the measurements you took on flat fabric are going to do much good even, because when the tubes get cut out and sewn and hang, I think they are going to get skinnier around width wise and then also longer too, and everything is going to change there a whole bunch probably.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 4:11 PM

Threads lost me when they started doing those silly contests where your outfit had to "let" you change on the elevator from business meeting attire to cocktail.

yeah, yeah I get that it's supposed to inspire creativity.

But I'm not going anywhere dressed like that.

------
Mary

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 2/23/13 4:17 PM

They should do a whole PR member issue.

Let them decide who is one of the best expert sewists (sorry I still don't know the term) and do a TOL expert sewing article a la Claire. Only check out what she's really sewing.

then feature Lynn Rowe and the knit sew along. That article along will make it a sell out issue.

Look through the reviews of the month and grab the top cutest 5 that are well sewn and fashion current (they can figure out fashion current right?)

Grab some of the intermediate and beginners. Bring in an expert to show what they should do in the areas where they are struggling. Maybe even a special "Can this garment be saved?" spot?

The guy from Maine with the stunning quilts. Must have those quilts in that issue.

Put Deepika's baby on the back in one of her cute outfits.

Wrap it up with the recent top patterns in 2012 and it would be a slam dunk

------
Mary

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 2/23/13 4:32 PM

Bias pants? Makes me think of lots of twisting and tugging along with wedgies--just does not sound comfortable! I vote for the nap too!

------
Carpe diem!

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 10:33 PM

Years ago - how many I cant count - Marcy Tilton did and article for Threads for bias pants. I remember reading it and being intrigued, like 'Hey! I want to try it' but never did. Seriously getting pants to fit and be comfortable is hard enough for me but sewing up a tube. . . come on!

------
Kemish

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 11:52 PM

I made silk pjs with pants on the bias for a client once. They were gorgeous and so comfy she said. Can't imagine two tubes would work.....

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 10:23 AM

I haven't seen the article but the Indian pants called churidars are also cut on the bias--they're very loose at the top (meaning crotch, thighs) and then super tight at the lower calf and ankle. I love them, but they are definitely a specific look... Anyhow, they're always made with this kind of flat fabric measurement.

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 1:19 PM

Am I crazy? I actually decided I would try this at some point. It seems reasonable, bias bends and stretches to conform to the body.
I think I'll be sorry if I don't try it

------
Michele Lommasson

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Bias Pants

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

McCall's 5114 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
McCall's 6518

photo
by: BlossomKyl...

Review
Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.