SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > What can you suggest to elevate the foot while sewing? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What can you suggest to elevate the foot while sewing?
Help please... sewing to do & I am in pain...
tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 7:49 PM

What do you use to put your foot up while sewing? It is my right foot that needs help, which does not help as I really prefer to use foot control to sew with. I have sewing I need to do but cannot sit for very long without problems & it hurts. I have almost a month before I can get in to see my doctor so in the meantime trying to improve & keep sewing.
My sm is on a table that is all I have to work with. I tried putting it (foot) up against the wall but that puts too much pressure & is very uncomfortable. I have tried to a ankle foot glove type brace too... OUCHY.
Thanks so very much. I really appreciate it.
-- Edited on 2/23/13 7:53 PM --

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^

DH has to have more eye injections.. no change...injections start 7/23
My kid brother is having a triple bypass, his heart..Scary... Please keep him in your prayers.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ... Please help us out soon...+

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/23/13 8:28 PM

Is there a way you can get the controller up where you can use your knee? Then you'd rotate your leg in/out to use the controller, instead of needing to put pressure on your foot. It might even be possible to arrange it so you can put your foot up and still use your knee for the controller. I'm not quite sure of how to get this accomplished though.

I grew up....no, let's change that to my Mom's machine (same one I used when I was young) has a knee lever controller and changing between foot and knee controller seems much easier that left/right foot changes. At least for me.

I hope you find a work around, and that you don't need it for long.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 2/23/13 8:30 PM

I am not sure that I understand the problem.

Do you feel your foot (the one attached to your leg?) or the foot pedal attached to the machine that needs to be elevated on a stool? Is your chair too high?

You can do a search online for sewing ergonomics, to see the best case for a sewing set up.

Can you use your foot controller as a knee control? Mum's 1960's Singer had a knee control. That way if you need to elevate your foot you can on a stool and not worry about the foot pedal slipping off.

If the foot pedal is getting away from you, sometimes they slip, you can put non slip rug mats under it or a heavy object behind it.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 8:43 PM

I've found that it took me very little time to learn to use my left foot to operate the foot pedal..practise with it for a bit and you may just get used to it..then you can prop your right foot on a box or even a hardcase sewing machine cover with a towel folded on top of it. I've heard of people attaching the foot pedal to a board so they can use it as a knee lever, but that would still involve moving the leg to press it.

Too bad the doctor is making you wait so long before being seen..I hope the pain ceases before then!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 10:12 PM

Thank you for the replies. Some good ideas I appreciate it. I was feeling so discouraged the last week ... thank you for help trouble shooting.

It is my own foot that is a problem the sm foot pedals work fine... sorry for any confusion.

------

My kid brother is having a triple bypass, his heart..Scary... Please keep him in your prayers.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 11:30 PM

Tgm,
If you use your 16231, you can use the start/stop button and skip the foot pedal entirely. I'm not particularly fond of that button myself, but it did come in handy when we were puppy-sitting and I didn't want the foot control on the floor.

I personally like the knee control on my vintage cabinets *much* more than any foot pedals - they really irritate me. But I have a bad knee and when it's swollen and painful using the foot control *is* better than having to press my knee against it, so...

Do you need to elevate your foot to take the pressure off or keep the swelling minimized? If so, can you put your foot up on a pillow, a stool or small box or chair? When my knee is acting up I need to elevate it because of all the swelling. While sitting at the computer for short stints, I'll just put it up on a small child's stool. When sitting the living room for any length of time, I use one of the plastic tubs I store fabric in (with a small buckwheat-filled pillow on top for comfort) so I can raise both legs, as I no longer have an ottoman. It's amazing what can work in a pinch! I hope your foot feels better soon!
-- Edited on 2/23/13 11:35 PM --

kitphantom
kitphantom  Friend of PR
Advanced
NM USA
Member since 1/6/11
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 10:20 AM

I've used a couple of things to elevate the control while sewing.
I have a "Neez-ez", which is an item specifically made for the purpose, with non-slip grip stuff on the top. I used it quite a bit, until my PT determined it was actually aggravating the bursitis in my hip. [http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/neez+ez+foot+rest.do]
The other thing I have used is a foot support made for office desks, similar to this one: http://www.relaxtheback.com/office/footrests/relax-the-backr-foot-rest.html
The nice thing is that both feet fit on it, so the support is even, and I can use my left foot on the control when I wish.

------
Bernina: 910, 930, 180, 440
Bernina 1150MDA
Bernette 004D serger
Vintage/classic Singer: 201, 301, 221

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<

Date: 2/24/13 12:04 PM

Thank you. I do have fabric tubs... That is a good idea.
I need to practice more with the start/stop button I have used it , but it has been a while. Thanks for good ideas.
Right now every time I have the foot down for more than a few minutes it swelling & painful. Ugh...

------

tgm and Kittys
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to kitphantom <<

Date: 2/24/13 12:05 PM

Thank you ... I will look those up.

------

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/24/13 2:52 PM

I use a box from a UPS delivery! I think my Wacom tablet came in it. It's about 3-4" deep, about 12" square. It is just high enough to take the pressure off my left hip. I thought about having my husband make me a little wooden thing, but honestly this is just easier and doesn't hurt when I bang my toes into it!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> What can you suggest to elevate the foot while sewing?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Folkwear 240

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
PerfectFuse Medium White

PerfectFuse Medium White

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.