SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Request for dress suggestions ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Request for dress suggestions
PaulaM1960
PaulaM1960  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/21/03
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 8:54 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion for a summer dress pattern for someone with narrow (er) shoulders, wider hips, and a tummy? (Size 18)

Thanks!

plazaglass

plazaglass
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 12/22/07
Send Message

In reply to PaulaM1960 <<

Date: 2/23/13 10:19 PM

What kind of style features do you have in mind -- sleeveless, maxi, etc.?

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 10:49 PM

Essentially, you are asking for a Burda pattern, with their incredible range of sizes in one envelope. All you have to do is scrupulously follow the measurement instructions that are always included somewhere in the pattern, and you will have your own personal, nearly customized pattern.

How about this one?

PaulaM1960
PaulaM1960  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/21/03
Send Message

Date: 2/23/13 11:04 PM

Well, ideally, I would like sleeves, but would consider sleeveless as well. I have tried an A Line, but I felt I looked too much like a triangle. Knit dresses don't feel the most flattering....

What I really crave is a nice summer casual dress that looks nice. I don't expect the dress to work miracles. I am kind of at a loss as to what styles will work.

Thank you for the Burda suggestions. I will keep it in mind, although fitting isn't the issue.

tinflutterby
tinflutterby  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/9/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/24/13 1:44 AM

I like princess seams for their ability to skim the body while giving an illusion of shape. I don't have narrow shoulders but I would look for something like Simplicity 7078 which is unfortunately OOP.

Vonnevo
starstarstarstar
Vonnevo  Friend of PR
Advanced
Australia
Member since 10/25/04
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 2:28 AM

Quote: PaulaM1960
Does anyone have a suggestion for a summer dress pattern for someone with narrow (er) shoulders, wider hips, and a tummy? (Size 18)

Thanks!

Can I suggest NL 6121
The pattern size ranges from 4-16 but ...
NL patterns are quite wide across the shoulders and bust and size 16 may fit you well.
I have made this pattern in a sleeveless style without the frills (View A minus the frill ) at least 6 times, this summer here Down Under - both knee length and maxi length.
I disregarded the youthful marketing of this pattern and was guided by the line drawing.

The bust and hip measurements are printed on the pattern and you might possibly be able to sew the size 16 and alter the waist to hip size to suit. The finished dresses fall beautifully as the the pattern pieces utilise the bias with four pattern pieces for the main dress A.
I plan to post reviews of all the dresses I have made, sewing 15 mins at a time. Unfortunately, my time sitting is limited due to a pelvic tumor, but I so wanted to share this great pattern with you.

NL 6121

-- Edited on 2/24/13 2:29 AM --

------
Vonne šOš Brisbane Australia
---------------------------------
Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 3:17 AM

May I recommend simplicity 8509. Easy and quick to sew. Very comfy for hot weather. Lots of design ease from the waist down (I have to watch for my tummy too!) and I really like the pleats.

Edited to add:

Forgot to mention I've made it three times and there are plenty of other reviews if you want to see more photos.

-- Edited on 2/24/13 3:20 AM --

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 6:20 AM

I know you say you don't do jersey dresses but I have found them to be one of the most flattering things for my wider hips IF the fabric is lightweight with a lot of drape (rayon knits are perfect) and the style has plenty of ease.

StyleArc Lazy Daisy

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

mary in FL
star
mary in FL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 4/28/02
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 9:14 AM

I have narrow shoulders and wide hips, so I might fit the bill. Here are two sleeveless dresses I've made, and I like to wear a shirt over them, ala Coldwater Creek:

Cotton/Linen dress

Knit Dress

------
from Daytona Beach, FL
http://mary-sews.blogspot.com/

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

Date: 2/24/13 10:34 AM

Since you're not sure what styles work for you, before you go to the expense, time and trouble of actually sewing something, you may want to try going to the mall, and trying on a stack of dresses, not to buy, but for cut. If you have a friend you are comfortable with, take them along, take a camera (or your cell phone) and take photos of yourself in the ones you think you like--that way you'll have them later for reference. If you're not planning to buy, then you don't have to worry about price and can try on clothes that are (much) more expensive than you'd normally do, because what you are looking for is shape, cut, and fabric. You may find that a higher quality fabric works, or a dress that's lined works, when a cheaper, unlined one didn't.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Request for dress suggestions

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Simplicity 5502

photo
by: cleverkitt...

Review
StyleArc Creative Cate Top

photo
by: brissie71

Review
Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Carry-All Shoulder Bag Pattern

More Info
SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.