SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Flannel as batting questions ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Flannel as batting questions
Is pilling a major issue?
christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 2/26/13 1:24 PM

I am working on a rail fence quilt for DD. It is similar to this rail fence with bright spring colors (no black). I am taking Craftsy's 'Machine Quilting Negative Space' course and this will be my first major jump into the world of FMQ that is not stippling. Anyways, DD wants a light weight quilt for spring/summer and I thought maybe I could use flannel as batting instead of traditional batting. I was looking at some flannel reviews and am now wondering how much flannel will pill when used as batting and if you can feel it or see it. Do any of you have experience with this?

Also, I expect the flannel will need to be pieced. Since it is significantly thicker than quilting cotton, I am wondering if the seamed area will be really noticeable. I expect to use probably a 3/8 inch SA and press the seam allowances away from each other.

Lastly, are there any other drawbacks to using flannel? I am okay with the shrinkage factor - that is a plus for me. :winkgrin:

Thanks in advance!
Kristi

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 2/26/13 1:34 PM

You can easily find 108" wide flannel for backing.
As to the pilling, I'd search for the double-napped type, I belive it'd be better quality and less pill-prone.
You can also buy high quality flannel sheets from LL Bean and Lands End for very good prices. Wouldn't need piecing.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 2/26/13 2:26 PM

Lots of people use cotton flannel sheets for backs. LLBean's are particularly nice. They don't pill- or at least mine haven't yet.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 2/26/13 2:30 PM

Are you using it as batting or backing?

Batting would be on the inside, and since pilling is caused by rubbing, wouldn't be prone to pilling.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 2/26/13 2:54 PM

Are you using quilting flannel? I've made many flannel quilts and the 1/4" seam allowance isn't a problem. Just make sure you wash your flannel first especially if you aren't using quilting flannel. Yes there is a difference, quilting flannel has a tighter weave then apparel flannel. On the flannel quilts I've made with quilting flannel I've seen very little piling and they are the ones we actually use, so they are washed.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 2/26/13 4:53 PM

I'm thinking of using it a batting.

christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 2/26/13 5:04 PM

I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks for bringing it up. I was initially thinking of picking up some 45" flannel from Joann's, but then reconsidered when I saw the reviews. There were a lot of complaints about pilling.

Where do you get your quilting flannel?

christik
christik
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

In reply to Sharon1952 <<

Date: 2/26/13 5:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked and LLBean's got really good reviews for not pilling. This looks like it may be a good contender.

I don't want to put a lot of time with the FMQ and then wash the finished quilt and end up with lots of little bumps under the quilt top (that you can't do anything about)!

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/26/13 5:37 PM

108" wide quilter's flannel at Dharma Trading.

Just FYI.

CMC

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to christik <<

Date: 2/26/13 7:14 PM

Joanns when they have it. They keep moving it around right now at my store it's in the quilting section but not nearly as much as they use to stock. Most online shops have it and also connecting threads just started some that is really nice.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Flannel as batting questions

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Wiksten Tova

photo
by: sasha.dana...

Review
Simplicity 1187 (Vintage)

photo
by: sugarduck

Review
SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

SewBaby The Hat Shoppe Pattern

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.