SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Serging Jeans ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Serging Jeans
Baby locks or other sergers that can
kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 2/27/13 1:05 PM

I'm still in the hunt for a serger. I'm hoping I don't have to buy an industrial to sew my jeans since they take up so much room. I am very familiar with the industrials but not with the "hobby" type sergers. I have never sewn a stitch on the hobby types.

I started looking at Bernina's but moved on to Baby Locks. The reviews look pretty promising on the Baby Locks.

Can anyone tell me if the Baby locks are able to sew jeans and/or what you use to serge your jeans? I am asking if they can serge multiple layers like the kind you would find in the crotch area. I'm not worried about the threading aspects, just being able to sew the jeans (plus other fabrics as well) :)

Any input is appreciated.
-- Edited on 2/27/13 1:07 PM --

------
Runs with scissors
Universal Deluxe Zig Zag from the 60's
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
Singer Treadle 127 Egyptian
Juki MO 735

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to kowgiirl.up <<

Date: 2/27/13 1:35 PM

I use a Viking 905 that was the bottom of the line of their better machines, now discontinued. I have absolutely no issues with denim. I've just completed two pairs of jeans in medium to heavy weight denim. You only ever serge two layers together at a time. More important in my opinion is will your sewing machine sew with a heavy top stitching thread. My modern Viking does a very poor job of it, but my vintage Viking is a champ. I get perfect, even topstitching and can even use it in the bobbin. The really nice thing about using a second machine for topstitching is that you don't have to stop and rethread.
-- Edited on 2/27/13 1:35 PM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/27/13 1:45 PM

I am not sure a home serger like babylock would be able to serge through several layers of heavy fabric.

Best to take some scraps of the denim you will be using and ask several dealers what they have that is up to this task.

The serger will have to have needles for denim and not what what the mfg has installed for lighter weight garment serging.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

HawkeMorningStar7
starstarstarstar
HawkeMorningStar7  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/21/05
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 2/27/13 3:42 PM

Hello Nancy. I also have a 905...used it for years but have horrid luck serging over denim or thicker fabric. Maybe the knife that repair man put in is not sharp enough as what happens material gets chewed and gets resewn into serged seam YUCK a mess. As its struggling through the thicker fabric the sliding little front part starts to separate a bit and awful clacking noise.
Any ideas why? Thank You

------
.....Behold, a wonder did appear;
Amazement was my bliss.......

reneeb4930
star
reneeb4930  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Canada
Member since 2/10/08
Send Message

Date: 2/27/13 8:18 PM

When i have tosew over 4 layers of thick fabric on my serger i trim the seam where the fabric meet and i have no trouble.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to HawkeMorningStar7 <<

Date: 2/27/13 8:30 PM

Sorry, I have no clue why you are having issues.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

treefrog
starstarstarstar
treefrog  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 2/28/13 1:18 AM

G'day,

I've got a Baby Lock Evolve that I use to sew jeans with a chain stitch & 4 thread overlock. It handles think denim fairly easily. The only problem I've had is sewing heavy denim ( eg 14 oz) on the centre back seam where the flat felled yoke seams meet and it changes from 2 layers to 8 layers. I hand crank the first few stitches in this section as the needles can break if it hits the change in thickness at speed. The cutter handles the thickness without any problem. Regular denim goes through with out having to slow down.

The babylock has a little less height on the cutter than my previous machine, so you may want to have a closer look at this. I haven't had too much trouble except for trying to sew 4 layers of heavyweight Polartec WindPro. The WindPro tends to blunt the cutters fairly quickly too.

-- Edited on 2/28/13 1:19 AM --

------
It's the journey, not the destination that counts

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 2/28/13 1:52 AM

I have an older Janome which has no trouble serging through jeans layers. But when I borrowed my friend's BabyLock (model with jet threading and tension disks, not sure of the name, Evolve maybe??), it had a hard time going through a couple of layers of gabadine-like fabric I was using to make my DD some school pants. I was highly unimpressed.

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 2/28/13 6:52 AM

I have serged duck and denim pants on my BL. It doesnt always handle thick intersecting cross seams without my help but I hand turn the needle a few times and it goes over well enough and then takes off. And no problem with the cutter no matter how many thick layers. All brands have their quirks. Take in the cut crotch area or back yoke pieces to test out. To me, the BL did so well in every other test that I can live with coaxing the needle a few turns over seams now and then.
I often move between the sm and serger for different tasks on the same item.
Three years later and I am still overjoyed when I sit down to serge on my Evolution.
-- Edited on 2/28/13 2:20 PM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

Date: 2/28/13 7:43 AM

Have you thought about a Juki? I use my 654DE for denim.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Serging Jeans

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

New Look 6823

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Petite Plus 151 Pattern

More Info
Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.