Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Machine Embroidery > Advice on buying my first emboridery machine (combo) ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Advice on buying my first emboridery machine (combo)
Barbie26
Barbie26
Intermediate
Member since 2/28/13
Login to reply to this post

Date: 2/28/13 9:59 AM

Hello everyone. I am a newer sewer. I am looking at getting a combo (sewing & embroidery) machine. I want one that has at least a 5x7 hoop. I feel like going with a dealer may be the way to go because I could go to unlimited free classes and good support.

Yesterday I was at a dealer. She showed me the Babylock Ellure and the Ellure Plus as well as a used Janome 9700.

The prices she quoted me were:
Jamome 9700 for $999
For this she said I would have to purchase a card/converter and software, so I'm figuring adding at least $175 with embird? to this price.

Babylock Ellure for $1399, however she also told me I would have to purchase the software (said embird wouldn't work--must buy her software) for $250

Babylock Ellure Plus floor model for $1599--that software I talked about above is included here.

Obviously if I were to choose the floor model is the better deal of the two Babylocks, but is all of that software stuff true?

Also, what about the Jenome?

Thanks to anyone who can help!!
Barb

What

Grandma52
star
Grandma52
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/24/02

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 2/28/13 10:33 AM

Please don't buy the Janome 9700. It is a discontinued machine and old technology. Janome is coming out with a new machine March 1, a combo that has larger hoops than the 9700. From what I could find the hoop sizes on the new machine will be 6.7 x 7.9 and 5.5 x 5.5. But, I am sure it won't be cheap.

I don't own a Brother/Babylock so cannot comment on those or the models you mention.

------
Janome 12,000
Bernina 1530
Elna Carina
Elna 704

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02

In reply to Barbie26 <<

Date: 2/28/13 11:13 AM

Find another dealer. She is trying to sell you old stuff so she can get rid of it. Old stuff=old technology. Embird will work with any machine, it's the formats you have to worry about and the only one I think it won't work with is Bernina but I could be wrong on that. Educate yourself before walking into a dealer. Read this board and others and visit the machine sites online to find out what the most up to date machines are out there. And decide what you want to spend. You want to buy as current as possible.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Barbie26
Barbie26
Intermediate
Member since 2/28/13

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 2/28/13 11:17 AM

The next closest dealer is 1.5 hours away. I have called them all--none seem any better than her!!! Lucky, I know.

Is the Ellure Plus considered current technology with the USB? I thought it was, but ?

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02

In reply to Barbie26 <<

Date: 2/28/13 4:16 PM

Ok as long as it's the Ellure Plus it's not a bad machine. You don't need the expensive software, Embird should work. Not a bad price for that machine. It's pretty basic though. If you can spend more money I could consider spending it. Depending on where you want to go with embroidery. Have you considered any other brand of machine? Plus sit down and sew on it, you may not like the way the babylock sews. The babylock Ellure has no way to connect to the internet go download free and purchased designs without having to buy a $250 box to write to a card specificly to that machine if you can find one. It's old tech. If you give us a budget we could better suggest.
-- Edited on 2/28/13 4:19 PM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

Date: 2/28/13 4:33 PM

I agree with Sewing Wolf - find another dealer. The only combo I know of that requires software is Singer Futura and then maybe not all models.

Modern technology has allowed EM manufactures to include USB connectivity to their newer models or higher end models so there is no need for cards, readers or special software.

Maybe you misunderstood about all the extra software being included with the Ellure Plus. It has the USB connectivity and does not need anything else.

And, Embird is compatible with all home embroidery machine formats.

My dealer is far, far away....in another state....I have to cross two rivers (not like Huck Finn)...but all in all it takes about the same amout of time.

Take the time to visit that dealer and have a face-to-face. They are much different in person and even more so if you happen to catch them at an Expo where they are on their best, "Sunday to to meeting" behavior.

I had to revisit just once after the initial sale. If you do the suggested maintenance per the manual annual visits are not necessary. I have a babylock Ellegante, but started with a Brother PE150 and reader/writer/memory card.

-- Edited on 2/28/13 4:49 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

BLMLB
BLMLB  Friend of PR
Beginner
OK USA
Member since 1/20/09

Date: 2/28/13 5:41 PM

What are current combos in the $3500 range?

------
Bernina Nova 900 my son-in-law namedt"Money Spent"
Magenta, Pfaff Creative Performance

TammyAnn
star
TammyAnn
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 10/11/12

In reply to Barbie26 <<

Date: 2/28/13 5:51 PM

I just looked up the spec sheet on the Ellure Plus (BLR2) and it says that it takes cards and USB type B. USB type A is what we normally use as a thumb drive on computers so I believe in order to get designs from the computer to your machine you will have to have them connected or use cards.
As far as the software I would ask why you need it, is it editing software? I would think any card software and box system would work but I'm honestly not sure (I have USB type A on my Ellageo Plus (as well as card and USB type B which I've not used))

B

B
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 12/5/03

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 2/28/13 6:17 PM

Have you read a lot of what has been written here about embroidery and sewing? Many prefer two separate machines (you might save money as well) since you cannot sew at the same time as you embroider but you have to hang around anyway.
My dream is a 5x7 Brother pc700 for under $600 (see Amazon.com) that takes a flash drive and use a separate sewing machine so I could sew nearby while keeping an eye or ear out for the embroidery machine.
-- Edited on 2/28/13 6:19 PM --

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

Barbie26
Barbie26
Intermediate
Member since 2/28/13

In reply to TammyAnn <<

Date: 2/28/13 6:34 PM

Quote: TammyAnn
I just looked up the spec sheet on the Ellure Plus (BLR2) and it says that it takes cards and USB type B. USB type A is what we normally use as a thumb drive on computers so I believe in order to get designs from the computer to your machine you will have to have them connected or use cards.

As far as the software I would ask why you need it, is it editing software? I would think any card software and box system would work but I'm honestly not sure (I have USB type A on my Ellageo Plus (as well as card and USB type B which I've not used))

Okay, that A/B USB stuff I didn't realize. Just to make sure I understand, I could transfer designs if connected by a cable from my laptop to the Ellure? Also, on Amazon they sell a $4 adapter: http://www.amazon.com/USB-Type-Female-Male-Adapter/dp/B000AA2SMS. Would that work?

Sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to make sure I get it!

Barb
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Advice on buying my first emboridery machine (combo)

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Simplicity 3732 Misses Tops
photo
Review by Macesmeme on 6/28/08
Read Review

Blank Slate Trendy Tuxedo Shirt & Pants Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Trendy Tuxedo Shirt & Pants Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Angie Dress Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Angie Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 3525 Shirt
photo
Review by Cosso on 6/19/11
Read Review

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern
Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Fit For Real People DVD
Fit For Real People DVD

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3998 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3998 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1302 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )
Vogue 1302 Pattern ( Size 6-8-10-12-14 )

Details
Price: $32.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN