SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Windows XP folders opening VERY slowly ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Windows XP folders opening VERY slowly
Anyone else having this problem?
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 2/28/13 2:58 PM

This past few days, every time I go to open a folder (documents etc.), it takes a ridiculous amount of time. Is this happening to anyone else here?

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

rivergum
starstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/28/13 3:22 PM

Have you rebooted?

If you have tried that a couple of times, run your virus check. If that crashes or does not run, a virus is likely. Go to

Trend Micro Housecall

and run the online virus check following the instructions. If a virus is found and removed, reinstall your virus protection.

If no virus is found, try system restore. It is in the start>all programs>accessories>system tools. Put it back to a restore point before the problem started.

If that does not work, your disk drive may be full. Have you had any messages? It could be a RAM hardware issue, but that is a long shot.

Does it take a very long while to boot? If so your hard drive may be failing. Back up now!

-- Edited on 2/28/13 3:26 PM --

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 2/28/13 3:54 PM

There is an excellent program called "ccleaner", (first recommended to me by our tech group, state government, so it can be considered trustworthy), I'd download that and run it. It is a helpful tuneup for older computers.

ccleaner

do the registry cleaner as well (part of ccleaner)
-- Edited on 2/28/13 3:55 PM --

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to rivergum <<

Date: 2/28/13 3:57 PM

Thanks!! I'm running a full scan on Avast right now -- this will take a while, so we'll see.

I haven't noticed any change in the time it takes to boot, or to load pages etc., just the time it takes to open folders and files.

------

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 2/28/13 5:52 PM

I've been having random problems (running Win XP-Pro) from time to time, with stuff taking forever to open up, over the past six months. I'll check and see if the disk needs to be de-fragmented, and it usually does.

I think in reality, one shouldn't de-frag very often, but it's been happening every couple of months, during the past year.

A couple weeks ago, I tried to install a service pack update for my machine embroidery software. When it was time to reboot, my computer would not reboot. At all. It was as if the Win XP had crashed.

I took it in to the local computer repair shop and they said something had gone wonky with the operating system. It only cost me $50 to have it fixed. I notice a lot of things are working better now.

I wonder if you've got a similar problem.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 2/28/13 6:05 PM

OK, that's interesting. I downloaded Avast and removed Microsoft Security Essentials. Ran the scan on Avast -- it didn't find anything, and also had a really long list of files it couldn't scan for some reason. So I'm not sure I like Avast that much, BUT... now the slowness problem has completely gone away. So maybe it was something to do with Microsoft Security Essentials?

------

simplystitches
simplystitches
NY USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 2/28/13 11:38 PM

I've been using MSE for a number of years, since it came out in beta actually, on several different computers and never had a problem with it.

You could try removing Avast and putting MSE back on and see if the problem starts again.

Debbie

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to simplystitches <<

Date: 3/1/13 9:21 AM

Quote:
You could try removing Avast and putting MSE back on and see if the problem starts again.

Quote:
Thanks -- yes, I think I will. The start up/shut down times with Avast are horrible.

I did remove Avast and reinstall MSE, and the issue of slow-opening folders seems to have been resolved.

-- Edited on 3/1/13 10:09 PM --

Oops -- I edited this post instead of adding a new one at the end!
-- Edited on 3/1/13 10:11 PM --

------

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/1/13 4:53 PM

I use XP and have the same problem with Internet Explorer. Quite a few sites open very slowly, or not at all. I have an alternative browser and that's really helped.
-- Edited on 3/1/13 5:01 PM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
ON
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 3/1/13 9:37 PM

Quote:
I use XP and have the same problem with Internet Explorer. Quite a few sites open very slowly, or not at all. I have an alternative browser and that's really helped.

I use Chrome (occasionally Firefox) -- IE scares me.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Windows XP folders opening VERY slowly

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8390

photo
by: ArtAttack

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.