SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Contest Discussions > Contest Idea Suggestions for 2014 ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Contest Idea Suggestions for 2014
ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

thumbsup 20 members like this.

Date: 3/2/13 5:46 PM

I know this is a little early, but I've been thinking about this lately.

I'd like to offer suggestions for two contests next year. One being for those aged 50 on up. Maybe a knockoff, professional, or formal wear contest? I don't know, but I'd love to see what our fashionable over-50 seamstresses can whip up.

And perhaps another one for our plus-sized members, ditto on the type of contest mentioned in my previous paragraph. I'd love to see this group recognized and offer insight in their reviews on how they alter their garments to fit producing very fashionable attire. Our plus-sized members make fabulous garments, but sometimes I think they're overshadowed because most of the patterns are mainstream regular sized. Even the plus-sized models don't reflect the average plus-sized shape of everyday women.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Koushite
Koushite  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/3/13 8:31 AM

This is an excellent idea. We "over 50" sewers have many more issues to deal with, i.e. changing bodies requiring high level pattern alteration and fitting skills, and finding appropriate, non-dowdy pattern designs. I can remember in the 70s, when I was learning, using Vogue dress patterns and only having to alter the waist length! These same issues apply of course to plus-size folks. So, the idea of applauding these two groups of sewers is really thoughtful and commendable.

Lizz
star
Lizz  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 10/10/03
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 3/3/13 9:37 AM

Right on! Plus size sewists face alterations, fabric choices, pattern selection (or lack there of!) that the rest of the sewing world can only imagine! They have so much to teach us.

As an Over 60 sewist I'd love to show you young whipper snappers a few things about styling'. Teeheehee....... Like I could!

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/3/13 10:22 AM

I love the idea of an "Over 50" contest. I'd like to see a "Frankenpattern" contest and an "Everdaywear TNT Tee Shirt/Pants" contest.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 3/3/13 10:58 AM

I'd like a "use a pattern company you've never used before" contest.
JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/3/13 11:16 AM

I love your idea of a fabulous fifty and up contest. What fun.

------
Michele Lommasson

Bonnie O
starstar
Bonnie O  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/28/07
Contest Committee
PR Weekend Coordinator
Send Message

Date: 3/3/13 12:13 PM

Oh wow! These are some great ideas for contests. We will put them on the list for 2014 considerations. Thanks, Kathy and others for your suggestions!

------
Bonnie
http://tresbonbabble.blogspot.com/

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

In reply to Bonnie O <<

Date: 3/3/13 2:50 PM

BTW, Bonnie, Love your new profile pic! It is new, right? Or else I'm going to sound a bit foolish lol. You're so pretty!

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Bonnie O
starstar
Bonnie O  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/28/07
Contest Committee
PR Weekend Coordinator
Send Message

In reply to ryan's mom <<

Date: 3/3/13 8:44 PM

Quote: ryan's mom
BTW, Bonnie, Love your new profile pic! It is new, right? Or else I'm going to sound a bit foolish lol. You're so pretty!

Thanks so much, Kathy! Just changed my profile pic today! It's one from my wedding day. I bombarded FB today with a bunch of photos. Hee hee.
-- Edited on 3/3/13 8:47 PM --

------
Bonnie
http://tresbonbabble.blogspot.com/

Diahn
star
Diahn  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 6/27/05
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/6/13 10:24 AM

Quote: nancy2001
I love the idea of an "Over 50" contest. I'd like to see a "Frankenpattern" contest and an "Everdaywear TNT Tee Shirt/Pants" contest.

I love the idea of a TNT T shirt/pants contest. That's what I'm currently working on through "Frankenpatternning". It would be interesting to see what others come up with and there would be so much to learn from all the entrants.

------
http://seamslikeparadise.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> Contest Idea Suggestions for 2014

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

McCall's 6408

photo
by: globalgran

Review
Simplicity 5351

photo
by: westmoon

Review
THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.