SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > How much to charge? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How much to charge?
Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/5/13 10:30 AM

A friend wants me to monogram names onto baby blankets. Flat, simple to hoop.

I'm providing thread and stabilizer. The names have about a 45 minute stitch-out.

What would you charge?

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Skittl1321 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/5/13 10:35 AM

At least $2.00 per thousand stitches.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

SewEverlasting
SewEverlasting
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/12/11
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 3/5/13 7:09 PM

PattiAnnJ - You seem to have a good grasp on this topic. Could you provide any other 'rules of thumb' regarding pricing machine embroidery on a single needle machine?

I ask because I've thought about doing some work for craft shows but I really don't have a good idea what to charge regarding the number of stitches, thread, stabilizer and fabric.

Thanks!

------
Dreamweaver VQ3000, Babylock Ellisimo, Bernina 350SE (Dragonfly), Juki 2010Q, Juki F600, Brother 5234PRW Serger

Sandygirl
Sandygirl
Intermediate
Member since 8/18/10
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 3/5/13 7:56 PM

Quote: PattiAnnJ
At least $2.00 per thousand stitches.

Plus materials. IMHO

SANDY

------
Janome-gal. 9700, 9900, 1030, 11000D (serger)

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

Date: 3/5/13 8:31 PM

If you look online you can find basic embroidery pricing,plus additional fees.Similar like .... $8.50 per each additional 1,000 stitches, $35.00 minimum.Charges above are per decoration location Spoilage allowance = 2% or 1 garment, whichever is greater

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 8:28 AM

Charging by the stitch is tough, because that means I can't tell them a price until I get what they want into my machine, and then I feel like people will feel pressured to agree with whatever I say.

I guess I'll throw in some samples of different name lengths and font sizes so I can tell people what -those- would cost to give them an idea. I have multiple people who want me to monogram blankets and towels and I have no interest in doing it as a "favor" :)

TeeGee- I don't know what you mean by spoilage allowance. It sounds like that is if I provide the garment. This would be embroidering things people bring to me (which means if my machine decides to go haywire- which it has only done once, and even then I was able to rip out the embroidery- I would assume I'm on the hook for replacing things... might need to claim that I have no responsibility for that.)

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 8:53 AM

There's a woman in our neighborhood that told me she does not turn on her embroidery machine for less than $9. I had our school monogram put on a doll sweatshirt---3 letters about 3/4 inch each and she charged $18.

ETA: don't forget to charge for your time. Nothing's worse than the feeling of doing all that work for $2 an hour!
-- Edited on 3/6/13 8:56 AM --

------
Carpe diem!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 1:49 PM

This may help with determining prices.

And, this is just for the embroidery.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 10:44 PM

Quote: Skittl1321
TeeGee- I don't know what you mean by spoilage allowance. It sounds like that is if I provide the garment. This would be embroidering things people bring to me (which means if my machine decides to go haywire- which it has only done once, and even then I was able to rip out the embroidery- I would assume I'm on the hook for replacing things... might need to claim that I have no responsibility for that.)

Yes !

Spoilage means embroidery accidents can happen,no matter how careful the embroiderer is.(Ask me how I know). If it is an expensive item the customer provides,he/she will want to be reimbursed for the item.One has to figure in a percentage of spoilage into every customer order,or the embroiderer will be out of money,should something go wrong.

I never embroidered for money,it's a hobby for me.I enjoy creating embroidered gifts and can't imagine embroidering 1000 stitches for 1 dollar on my domestic embroidery machine,even if it is for my best friend.I rather do it for free !

I use better quality stabilizers and my embroidery threads are expensive,I don't buy online either.I always use a wash away stabilizer topper when I embroider letters,(and sometimes with other designs too,depending on the fabric,not just terry towels). But.... I don't wash the item after I finish embroidering.I rip and or pick the wash away stabilizer away where it might still be visible after I finish embroidering.

I think Embroidery Library,or maybe it was another site has pictures where one can see the difference between using a stabilizer topper and not using one.I saw the difference with my own eyes when I watched a dealer embroider the same words with and without a stabilizer wash away topper on the same fabric.

Commercial embroiderers might charge a dollar per 1000 stitches,but .....their machines embroider very fast ! They also charge a minimum charge per name,it could be as low as a couple of dollars or more,plus extra charges I mentioned above.

You said it would take you 45 minutes to embroider.Does that include set up,hooping etc. ? How much money would you like to earn in one hour ?
Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 3/22/13 10:49 AM

I solved the problem by telling her she had to get thread. She never went and got it

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> How much to charge?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

You Sew Girl Sling Pattern

You Sew Girl Sling Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern

J Stern Designs Womens Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
Burda 9503

photo
by: rabitgrl

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.