SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Completely New ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Completely New
Where do I start?
KathleenNW

KathleenNW  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/20/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/5/13 10:39 AM

I've never touch an embroidery machine, but have just bought a Brother Dreammaker - it's still in the box.

Besides taking advantage of introductory classes where I bought my sewing machine, what other ways are there to learn all the things I can do.

Can you recommend websites, magazines, books, DVDs, etc.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to this new adventure!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to KathleenNW <<

Date: 3/5/13 10:58 AM

Congratulations on a exceptionally nice machine.

Lessons at the dealer is a very good start.

Most books will give you the basics. I started with all the Jeannie Twig books.

Avoid as many gadgets as you can.

Set down at the machine when you have an hour or so of quiet time and start at the beginning of the manual.

You will need machine embroidery thread for the top and the bobbin thread than comes with the machine for the bobbin. Note the weight of the bobbin thread, some Brother EM use 90wt while others use 6wt - it is important to use the correct size.

Buy and use new thread and don't use old thread that may have been weakened by low humidity or sunlight.

Sulky and Coats & Clark brand of black easily shreds when doing a large area of this color.

Madeira and Robison Anton are good brands and there are a few brands that may be recommended by those who have been ME for several years.

Take some cut away stabilizer and fabric to test some of the designs.

Never walk away from the machine while it is doing the embroidery. You can stop and start without loosing your place.

It seems as though every new EM owner wants to start out with monograms and names - don't. Learn the basics of ME first.

It will not take very long to learn this craft that offers a lot of pleasure in the results of the stitching.

Enjoy!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

KathleenNW

KathleenNW  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/20/06
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 3/5/13 1:01 PM

Thank you for the excellent advice.

I'm looking at prewound bobbins. Are NEB, size L, the ones I need? And are they the best ones to use?

Thanks again.

CdnSkier
CdnSkier  Friend of PR
Illinois USA
Member since 3/18/09
Send Message

Date: 3/5/13 11:52 PM

No. The Brother and BabyLock machines take a Type A or Class 15 pre-wound. The Class L bobbins are shorter and you need to use the bobbin spacer. Better results with the correct size. Also, get the clear plastic pre-wounds (not cardboard sided) so your bobbin sensor will work correctly.

------
Baby Lock Ellure Plus (BLR3), Pfaff Creative 4874 serger/coverstitch, Singer Rocketeer 500J, Singer 301A short-bed

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

TamNearPDX
TamNearPDX
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 0:29 AM

Instructor classes are good. My dealer had a 1day Anita Gooddesign workshop for $30. I did not sign up for any their expensive membership programs, but did get some experience and confidence in using the machine and stabilizers etc...

reallyrob
star
reallyrob
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 6:11 AM

Also, go to a fabric store and purchase some fabrics...cotton, knit, fleece, felt, etc. Practice on different materials and get used to them and what stabilizers and needles to use. Playing around now with different fabrics and stabilizers, will save you many headaches later.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 7:42 AM

Go to you tube and search embroidry. If you like it hit subscribe and you will get more videos. Nancy Z has great onlineTV & PBS shows. I also subscribed to Creative Embroidery mag for 1
year. Simple projects and great info.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

reallyrob
star
reallyrob
Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 10:36 AM

You can also sign up for different classes at your local fabric or quilting stores. You work with their machines, but you gain knowledge of hooping, stabilizing and different techniques. They'll try to sell you a new machine, but for the relatively small amount you spend, you'll gain a wealth of knowledge.

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/6/13 1:49 PM

Everyone's advice is excellent and what I can add is don't get frustrated or disappointed when a project goes awry. I was new to machine embroidery last year and tried zillions of methods and read tons of information in books and online. After awhile, you sort of just know what works and what doesn't since all the machines have their own quirks.....two identical machines may not act the same.

In any case, here are the books I recommend. PattiAnn is right that the Jeanine Twigg books are great. Here are the two that I bought and really liked reading through - Embroidery Machine Essentials and the companion book More Embroidery Machine Essentials . The second book is really great because they give you a great rundown on the software and how and what digitizing is in machine embroidery. I don't do any digitizing, but it helped to know how designs are made with the stitches so I can edit them better.

You also can't go wrong with Nancy Zieman's book Machine Embroidery with Confidence. It's a great book and a good read. She has some great tips in there as well.

One great online reference place is EmbLibrary.Com. They not only sell great embroidery designs, but they have tons of tips and projects on their website. I found this this page to be one of the best online resources for tips and tricks. They recently redid the website and it's sorted out very nicely and so it's easy to navigate around.

You bought a great machine and will no doubt have lots of fun with it!

Jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

KathleenNW

KathleenNW  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/20/06
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 2:40 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to pass on such great information. The best advice is always from someone who has been there, done that!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Completely New

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Petite Plus 504 Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.