SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Looking for casual maternity wedding dress pattern....? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looking for casual maternity wedding dress pattern....?
HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 3/5/13 4:21 PM

Or at least something that can be turned into a wedding dress style! DS is getting married in May and will be about five months pregnant. It is going to be a small, semi-casual wedding, and I wanted to help her out by making a dress that will be comfortable, easy to wear, and much cheaper than buying a fancy wedding dress. She and her fiancée are going to have a big, white wedding style party sometime next year, with family, friends, and their baby involved. The wedding in May is just for immediate family.

It seems there are far fewer and less attractive options for maternity patterns, which is where I would love your help, PR! Do you have a favorite maternity pattern provider? Any help or guidance you can offer?

This is the only thing I've found so far that I think I could easily work with and change the fabric to be a little more luxurious Butterick pattern (the short sleeve probably, due to it being May)
Kwik sew pattern, view B

Any suggestions??

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

novicesewist
star
novicesewist  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 2/11/08
Send Message

Date: 3/5/13 4:26 PM

I was reading a blog today, and she linked to Megan Nielsen's site for a skirt. (NAYY) When I looked, there appear to be several maternity and nursing patterns there. You might find something you can adapt.
Good luck,
judy

andrea.m
andrea.m
Beginner
CANADA
Member since 8/3/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/5/13 5:12 PM

There are literally dozens of empire waist dresses on the simplicity, mccalls, butterick, vogue and kwik sew sites that can be made into a wedding dress. A sheath or small a-line dress would also work.
If you are looking for a body hugging dress, can't help you.

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 3/5/13 5:12 PM

Thanks for the link!! The nursing/maternity dress seems like a really good option. ^_^

DS has said she loves the single strap dresses...I just fear that requires too much structure around the bust that I would have to account for in sizing, AND it would requiring support to hold up in the bust and along the sides of the stomach, which I wouldn't want to put pressure on sensitive body parts that are rapidly changing. ^^;; am I being overly cautious?

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 99.75 yards
Sewn: 77.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/5/13 5:47 PM

I made a wedding dress for a gal who was expecting twins,she was about 4 mos along.We went with a semi full skirt that had easy fitting elastic in the waist a some what blouson effect with a narrow satin ribbon tie,a really beautiful lace bodice and full long sleeves. She was worried that her size would change too quickly while the dress was being sewn.But it accomodated just fine Another girl I did was 4 mos also.We went for a very structured empire line that just skimmed the figure,in heavy satin with a queen anne neckline big 80's style puff sleeves that tapered and a small train.No one even knew she was expecting.If you think a regular empire dress might pull the back forward,look for a pattern that has a little fullness in the back skirt as well.Even though this is a very small wedding it's her first and using the finest materials you can afford would make her feel lovely and special.

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 3/5/13 5:48 PM

I just saw a maternity formal pattern but can't remember if it was Vogue or Burda!

------
JanieV

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 0:34 AM

BUrda #128 is a satin maternity dress short sleeve not much detail but nice curved empire. The top could be embellished with trim or made in lace

Sewshable1
star
Sewshable1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 3:51 AM

I made my daughter something like this, a simple empire bodicewith short sleeves, but I made it in silk dupioni, and it was lovely. She wore a garden-style hat and lace gloves, and gorgeous shoes, and looked great

------
You can judge the true character of a man by the way he treats the people
who can do nothing for him

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/6/13 8:31 AM

How about a straight skirt with some expansion room up front and then a peblum style top ?

Holivjoa
Holivjoa
Beginner
USA
Member since 8/1/12
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 9:13 AM

Try one of the dresses in the Victoria Jones Collection. They are Hawaiian dresses but very beautiful. Her link is in the merchant gallery.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Looking for casual maternity wedding dress pattern....?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

No Pattern Used couch slip cover

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review
Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Betsy Pencil Skirt Paper Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6695

photo
by: divabuddha

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.