SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Questions on Quilting from a Beginner ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Questions on Quilting from a Beginner
Deciding how to 'quilt' the finished piece...
Steffie
starstar
Steffie
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

Date: 3/6/13 8:54 AM

I am a beginner quilter. I have two projects nearly complete (need binding and I am afraid I will ruin them when I bind them). In both cases, the projects were simple and I did quilting by stitching in the ditch.

Last week I ordered a table runner project kit from Connecting Threads. First, I didn't realize that the backing fabric was not included in a Kit especially something so small (pays to read). Next, I really liked the quilting design itself. The kit I purchased is the Morning Glory Runner. While you cannot see the quilting pattern online, in the catalog you can see that there is a floral quilting pattern over the yellow that matches with the 'Morning Glory' title.

The pattern/kit does not include the quilting design. I contacted the author of the pattern and she responded that she only provides the pattern for the piecing. I contacted Connecting Threads and they indicated that their independent quilters who make up projects for the catalog use proprietary designs and they are not available. :(

How do more experienced quilters go about deciding on a quilting pattern for a project?

Thanks!!

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/6/13 9:18 AM

Welcome Steffie!!

Ok on binding when I began I would cut 2 1/2" or 3" wide binding strips - gives you room to sew on without being too close. This is one of the BEST binding tutorials (in my opinion as a newbie)...

6 Easy Steps to Binding

Hope that helps!

From the link you gave it says...
"Kit includes pattern and 2-3/4 yards of fabric, enough to make the top and binding."

So you should have gotten the all the fabric for the front and enough for binding (not cut), and the directions on how to cut it to make it look like that table runner - Yes? No?

Please let us know, because a TON of folks buy from Connecting Threads and they would HATE to lose business because they messed a PR person around :-) just saying it SAYS the pattern to cut the fabric is included!
-- Edited on 3/6/13 9:21 AM --

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<

Date: 3/6/13 10:00 AM

They are really quite clear on the fact that the backing isn't included...

Quote:
Kit includes pattern and 2-3/4 yards of fabric, enough to make the top and binding. You will need an additional 1-1/2 yards of fabric for backing

I've ordered kits that they have given links to the fabrics for the backings that match.....that said, I am the proud owner of a CT kit that's for kids and in flannel!! neither of which I wanted...cute pattern..click the button..it happens....

You might check out stencil designs, chalk them onto the quilt (or sample fabric) and try the free motion on that. As a new quilter myself, that's what I'm planning on trying.....

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<

Date: 3/6/13 10:36 AM

The best advice I can give a beginner on how to get ideas is to look at as many quilts as you can, and in-person is better than pictures. Big shows are great if there are any nearby, but most local guilds also have shows that are open to the public.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Steffie
starstar
Steffie
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

In reply to HDWen <<

Date: 3/6/13 11:53 AM

Thanks for the link!

The mistake was all mine -- I thought a kit would include the backing fabric, but it does not. The item clearly notes it is not included, but apparently, I was too lazy to read that part. Oops!

I am wanting the actual pattern for quilting the finished runner and it is not available. I haven't done any quilting other than stitch in the ditch.

mamadukes6
mamadukes6
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 12/5/08
Send Message

In reply to Steffie <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/7/13 3:00 AM

Here is a link to a stencil company that has almost 1800 quilting designs -

Full Line Stencils

I thoroughly understand falling head over heels with a particular quilt and the way it was quilted, Steffie, as I've done so quite a few times- but unfortunately not all designs could ever be recreated.

Sometimes the quilter has simply "free motion quilted" as their personal muse dictated that day!

Hopefully, the above link will provide you with a pattern that closely matches the one on the runner, and if not, you may find another you like equally well.

Also, you can find binding tutorials on one of my favorite online quilting sites, Missouri Star Quilt Company.

Missouri Star Quilt Company

Hope this helps, and happy quilting!

-- Edited on 3/7/13 3:03 AM --

------
Janome MC6600P with more stitches that I'll ever use; Kenmore 385.1249, my 1st beloved workhorse; Lady Kenmore 89, the beauty of the group; Singer 185J, the darlin' lil green machine; Singer 66, so pretty with her domed case; Singer Featherweight, a cherished inheritance; 1920 Standard; 1915 Wheeler and Wilson treadle

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 3/7/13 7:11 AM

there are many freequilting stencils online also not hard to make your own or use ones for other mediums such as paint.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Steffie
starstar
Steffie
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 11/6/04
Send Message

In reply to mamadukes6 <<

Date: 3/7/13 8:00 AM

Thank you for the helpful links!

Kelly D.
star
Kelly D.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/05
Send Message

Date: 3/7/13 11:00 PM

You might enjoy this book: Quilting Makes the Quilt

It sounds like you are ready to get out of the ditch and get creative with your quilting designs. There are many, many books on how to do that and probably some you can check out from your local library.

Happy quilting!

QuiltsShoots&Leaves

QuiltsShoots&Leaves  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 10/25/05
Send Message

Date: 3/7/13 11:20 PM

If you can see the quilting design, try drawing it on paper with a pencil, ideally using one continuous line. If you can do that repeatedly on paper, the muscle memory will stay with you when you free-motion quilt the same design. (Use a test block first)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Questions on Quilting from a Beginner

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Simplicity 2927

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll Odette Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll Odette Dress Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.