SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Creative Sewing > Any Creative ideas for bed sheets? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Any Creative ideas for bed sheets?
Lets get innovative
lubaparker
lubaparker
Intermediate
Member since 3/7/13
Send Message

Date: 3/7/13 7:30 PM

Hi Sewing Friends,
My name is Luba Parker and I am very new to any blog or let alone sewing circle.
However, I must share this very needful item that seems to be forgotten about. Bed Sheets. There must be a better way of designing them instead of the same old elastic band that really never fits properly no matter how much it costs. I know you creative people have the answers.
Blessings to everyone. and lets hit a market that is almost none existent and ready for improvements and innovations for the 21st century.
-- Edited on 3/7/13 7:33 PM --

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/8/13 0:56 AM

Not innovative in the least, I prefer a flat sheet to a fitted one. In the proper size (big enough to be well-tucked), it stays in place without problem.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to lubaparker <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/8/13 1:51 AM

If I had my way, I'd tie a knot in the corner of each flat sheet and use that as my bottom sheet. I'm tired of wrestling with my mattress when trying to put on an elasticized sheet! The mattress usually wins.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 3/8/13 10:14 AM

Possibly the main issue with fitted sheets is that they are the infamous "one size fits all" and mattresses aren't! If I had the time and energy, I would drape each sheet, mark the miters, sew them in and add LOTS of good elastic. Our current mattress is 2" shorter than our old one and I ranted heavily about it at the time. The good news is that it is nearly square (king size) so it seem to tolerate the bottom sheet no matter how we put it on.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

qtip
qtip
Member since 8/10/10
Send Message

Date: 3/8/13 1:16 PM

Sheets are only sold in sets here - so you get a fitted bottom sheet whether you want one or not.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/8/13 3:40 PM

I make crib sheets in fun prints for my DIL (2 yards of cotton) from online measurements so they fit the thicker mattress. Kids can have fun character prints you can't find in store-bought to wake up to. One boy-type I made for grandson from a Sea Panel sold on Fabric.com, just added coordinating strips to the panel and elastic all around. Now he can talk to his various Fishies before getting out of the crib!
An older sheet that matched the room decor shrunk. Mom wanted to keep it for the new baby, so I added in solid strips at both ends and new elastic. They didn't show as they were under the mattress on the ends.
You could add inches to adult-size sheets like this too--quality King-sizes especially are expensive.
Have also seen buying Twins, which are those most often marked down, because they are for kids' beds mainly, to piece together for larger mattresses, not sure what widths they fit. Just use French seams.
-- Edited on 3/9/13 4:58 PM --

DolphinDancer30

DolphinDancer30  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/8/13 4:13 PM

You could try sheet suspenders. Similar to ironing board cover grippers.

lubaparker
lubaparker
Intermediate
Member since 3/7/13
Send Message

In reply to jacquiJB <<

Date: 3/9/13 1:28 PM

Hi JacquiJB, Thank you for the response. You know I have never tried using the flat sheet as the mattress cover. I have seamed fabric together to just fit over my mattress and that seems to work better than the elastic kind. So I will try your suggestion using the flat sheet and see how I do.

lubaparker
lubaparker
Intermediate
Member since 3/7/13
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 3/9/13 1:33 PM

Your brilliant Miss Fairchild,
I think you have an idea with the tie method. I will try your suggestion. Thanks for responding.

lubaparker
lubaparker
Intermediate
Member since 3/7/13
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 3/9/13 1:41 PM

Thank you for replying gramma b, I appreciate your suggestion regarding the purchase of twin sheets on sale and seaming them, however, I am unaware of what a French seam is. May you please
explain?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Any Creative ideas for bed sheets?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Kwik Sew 3826

photo
by: myeclectic...

Review

Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
No Pattern Used Shorts/no pattern went of

photo
by: usbeckers

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.