Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Unusual belly issue

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Unusual belly issue
How do I pick pattern size?
determined
determined
Advanced Beginner
FL
Member since 12/29/12
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 3/7/13 9:07 PM

I have pretty bad diastasis from my pregnancies. Basically until I get it surgically corrected I will look slightly pregnant. But I am very thin. So my problem is my waist is one size which does not correspond with the hip or other sizes (unless I draw in my belly which I am supposed to do but let's be real).

So as I get ready to make pants for the first time using new look 6160 (basic elastic waist pant) what size do I cut? Probably not a huge issue with this pattern but I want to do a bunch of shorts with zipper fronts and it will be an issue then. Thanks!

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04

In reply to determined <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/7/13 9:22 PM

Use your hip measurement and add for the waist. It's easier to adjust the waist than the hip. In pants with darts you can also leave the darts unsewn, at least in the front; you may still need them in the back depending on your figure. You can also try straightening our the front crotch seam. It's usually angled. This will give you extra room for your waist. Then divide the amount you need to add by 4 for the side seams and add at the waist blending into the hip.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Marilly
Marilly
Advanced Beginner
OR USA
Member since 7/9/06

Date: 3/7/13 10:56 PM

Good descriptions by Nancy and the last part is almost a perfect match for an alteration for low protruding abdomen I found recently in Kirsten Martensson's "Professional Pattern Alterations Made Easy"..but get this, it's in the men's alteration section. They handle the women's in a different way< : )
I'm going to try it out since I have the 'permanently preg' kind of tummy too ( I look fine except in profile).
dannykatter@yahoo.com I'd pm you, but don't have a paid account.

simplystitches
simplystitches
NY USA
Member since 2/12/06

Date: 3/8/13 0:34 AM

Nancy's got most of it covered. The other thing you may need is a bit more front length to go over the belly-depending on where you want the waist line to hit.

Debbie

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 3/8/13 1:54 AM

The other thing about buying the pattern for your hip size and then improving it at the waist has to do with the pantlegs (if you're buying pants). Pant leg widths are based on hip measurements. So if you bought a pattern based on your waist measurement, your hips would be much larger and you'd have trouble getting the legs to fit.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09

Date: 3/8/13 3:38 PM

Years ago I was in Germany and found a high waisted style that was most comfortable.
Basically this is bringing the top of the pant above your natural waist and putting in a 2-4 inch high waistband with closure.
It is a common occurrance after childbirth. I had a diastisis repair after my childbearing years ended and was pleased with the results. I wish you the best.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Rosalaya
Rosalaya  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 11/20/12

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 3/24/13 4:13 AM

On another tack entirely. Let's be real....if they told you to do to tum exercises....DO THEM!
You need to for down the track. Also do your pelvic floor exercises....lots and lots.
It's not OK down the track to be wearing depend and thinking it's alright to do so 'cause the advertisement says so.
So live up to your call sign, determined

determined
determined
Advanced Beginner
FL
Member since 12/29/12

In reply to Rosalaya <<

Date: 3/26/13 1:09 PM

Hi Rosalaya,
Thank you for the motivation :-). I do try to do the abdominal exercises but with two pre-schoolers and a baby, I don't have much time or energy. I did enough exercises so that I don't have bad back pain anymore and can lift my kids without pain in my belly, but it will not be possible for me to completely close the muscles on my own. As for the other muscles you mention- I do Kegels all the time. I still can't jump on the trampoline at my boys' little gym, but I am optimistic about avoiding Depends It is unfortunate that Ob/Gyns don't care more about this and discuss this with women as a part of women's health. The Ob who delivered my twins told me I didn't have diastasis and could resume pilates- but he didn't even do a physical exam to check first. After some very painful pilates classes I saw a PT and learned that I had all kinds of muscular and alignment issues post-pregnancy. I won't get started...

In any case- I will try to get back to doing something daily- even if it is just 'sucking in' :-).

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 3/26/13 5:51 PM

Based on the talk among a few friends who have have had rectus repair, I believe you will find yourself feeling and looking much better in the mid-section after you have your operation done.

However, in the meantime, even though the condition cannot be cured by exercise alone, exercises do help preserve the remaining muscle tone. We get the idea that because we have many exhausting things going on that involve our kids and families (all too true!), that we do not have time for a series of simple exercises at night when we are getting ready for bed. Not true. We can do an easy and effective set in under ten minutes when we are watching the late news.

After a disk injury to the neck, my PT told me that doing a basic set of exercises each night would greatly relieve my discomfort. I took a bet with myself, andhave continued them EACH night for more than twenty years, even on international travel, and that wrecked neckbone works just fine now. When this all started up, our son was an incredibly difficult preadolescent, and I would have sworn I could not have spared the time, but it has paid off well.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
TX
Member since 10/1/03

Date: 3/26/13 5:58 PM

I agree that they should fit the hip and alter the waist.

For the elastic waist (pants or skirts or shorts), you could also try a simple slash and spread alteration. Might be less complicated. You could even do that a bit if you want to keep some darts for style.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Unusual belly issue

Merchants on PR
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Simplicity 3551
photo
Review by Sandi S on 11/25/11
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Strappy Sandals Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )
Peek-A Boo Strappy Sandals Digital Pattern ( Size 0 mo -18 mo )

Details
Price: $3.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Maria Denmark Just a Tank Top Digital Pattern
Maria Denmark Just a Tank Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $5.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Colette Patterns 1018 Jasmine
photo
Review by VintageBlu... on 11/23/12
Read Review

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern
Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern
Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Colette Patterns Hazel Pattern (1021)
Colette Patterns Hazel Pattern (1021)

Details
Price: $18.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Burda 6942 Pattern
Burda 6942 Pattern

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN