SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Yet another Question RE: Burda ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Yet another Question RE: Burda
Center fold
knitstitcher
star
knitstitcher  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/9/13 10:41 AM

I'm getting ready to make my second Burda pattern (#135 from 3/2013). My first attempt at a burda pattern was not so good; it was too big and now I'm wondering if this is the reason.....
I was just reading some old posts regarding burda sizing and ran across a post talking about NOT adding the SA to the pieces cut on the fold.....meaning just the actual "cut on fold" line.Uh oh. I added a SA to the actual fold line in my first pattern. Can someone clarify this for me before I start tracing? I actually just traced another blouse pattern from an earlier issue.....glad I haven't cut it out yet!
And while I'm here.....I seem to fall in between sizes on some of the measurements. Should I go up or down in size in this area?
-- Edited on 3/9/13 10:42 AM --

------
Lorri
Bernina Artista 730,Babylock Journey, Babylock Evolution, Singer 201-2

carolineG
star
carolineG
Intermediate
CA
Member since 6/4/04
Send Message

In reply to knitstitcher <<

Date: 3/9/13 10:56 AM

Yes, you made a mistake! the good thing is now you know what you did wrong and you will have a much better result on your next make. Don't add anything to the "fold" lines. Just place those on the fold of your fabric and cut.

carolineG
star
carolineG
Intermediate
CA
Member since 6/4/04
Send Message

Date: 3/9/13 10:58 AM

Quote: knitstitcher

And while I'm here.....I seem to fall in between sizes on some of the measurements. Should I go up or down in size in this area?

I"m not sure about the in-between sizes. Probably go up a size until you've seen a few Burda designs, then you'll have a better idea of how the sloper fits you. Burda is very form fitting (at least compared to domestic pattern companies). Sew a few simple makes (a basic top, a skirt) till you have a good idea of your sizing. Good luck!
knitstitcher
star
Intermediate
NC
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

In reply to carolineG <<

Date: 3/9/13 3:37 PM

Thank you. I'm making a jacket and don't want it too tight....need a little room to wear something under it.... so maybe I'll go up a size to see how this works.

------
Lorri

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

Date: 3/9/13 4:31 PM

Lorri, do you mean that all your measures are between two sizes or are your measures ''distributed'' across different sizes?

------
Happy Sewing!

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 3/9/13 4:48 PM

If there is a fold cf or cb, there is no seam allowance added. If you look at a pattern that already has sas added you will find no seam allowances at the fold line.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 3/9/13 6:21 PM

A fold is a fold. There is no seam so you wouldn't need seam allowances. Now if you didn't want the garment on a fold, such as you knew you had to make adjustments to the back, then you would add seam allowances and sew a seam.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

knitstitcher
star
Intermediate
NC
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

In reply to GBK <<

Date: 3/9/13 9:08 PM

My bust measurement is 35 1/2. This is between a size 38 and 40. My waist is 28 1/2 and also between those same sizes. My back width is 13 1/2 which is a size 36. My hips are a perfect size 38, so I'm not sure what size to cut. I'm making 03/3102 #135. I'm more concerned about the bust and waist sizes. I know I can grade the pattern, but do I cut between the 38 and 40 or just cut the 40? I hope I'm making sense.
By the way....Those measurements are all in inches.
-- Edited on 3/9/13 9:10 PM --

------
Lorri

Irina Grace
Irina Grace
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 7/18/11
Send Message

Date: 3/9/13 11:33 PM

You go by bust measurements for a jacket. You cannot use 38 because it will be too small, so your size is 40. You will need to adjust your waist and hips. Make a muslin first.
I am not sure about your back width measurements. All my Burda magazines are from Europe in Russian and there is no back width measurements in a size chart....
Back width 13.5inches (34.2 cm) corresponds almost perfectly with size 40....(this is from my sewing book charts) and size 36 has 32cm back (12 5/8 in). This is body measurements, not a pattern measurements.
Also this jacket is pretty fitted design so it does not have mush ease.. you said that you want more room inside....So I think it is good to go with size 40...

------
Irina Grace
English is my Second Language

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to Irina Grace <<

Date: 3/10/13 1:36 AM

Quote: Irina Grace
I am not sure about your back width measurements. All my Burda magazines are from Europe in Russian and there is no back width measurements in a size chart....

Back width 13.5inches (34.2 cm) corresponds almost perfectly with size 40....(this is from my sewing book charts) and size 36 has 32cm back (12 5/8 in). This is body measurements, not a pattern measurements.

Also this jacket is pretty fitted design so it does not have mush ease.. you said that you want more room inside....So I think it is good to go with size 40...

Hi Irina, on the website, burda has more detailed size charts, both in inches and centimeters: burda size charts.

------
Happy Sewing!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Yet another Question RE: Burda

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Simplicity 1717

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

SewBaby One Piece Reversible Sundress Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.