SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Pattern envelopes -- Butterick/McCalls ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pattern envelopes -- Butterick/McCalls
patternaddict
patternaddict
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 4/19/10
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 3/10/13 10:56 AM

Anyone else made nuts by the recent reduction of useful information on the back of the pattern envelopes. Minor stuff like length, and skirt fullness and bust measure?
(I found myself right between sizes in two size ranges of a new Butterick yesterday. I usually check bust measure to decide, but the info wasn't there. I took the pattern out and tried to *carefully* unfold it to find the bodice front piece, but I couldn't unfold very far [I can never get the damn worms back into the can] and couldn't find the piece. So I guessed.)

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to patternaddict <<

Date: 3/10/13 10:58 AM

Sometimes it's printed on the envelope flap. It's easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

Debbie

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 3/10/13 11:43 AM

Yup. The subject has come up in several places - here, on Facebook, on blogs. How hard is it to print it on the envelope - or, if space is a problem - in a chart on the instruction sheets? I pay far less attention to pattern size than I do finished measurements.

The only information I have seen on pattern envelope flaps is the standard size chart, which is pretty close to useless.
-- Edited on 3/10/13 11:44 AM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Linda G
star
Linda G
Advanced
Minnesota USA
Member since 11/11/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/10/13 11:51 AM

Amen! I wondered if I was the only one annoyed by this.
-- Edited on 3/10/13 11:51 AM --

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<

Date: 3/10/13 12:13 PM

Quote: Karla Kizer
YI pay far less attention to pattern size than I do finished measurements.

A-MEN.

j.
Calendria
Calendria
Advanced Beginner
Alaska USA
Member since 7/4/05
Send Message

Date: 3/10/13 4:13 PM

yes me too. I have a patter that is gorgeous, but it will NOT tell me on the instructions or anywhere on the envelope how LONG the finished length of the pants are.

TOTALLY doesn't help me cuz I'm high waisted and like things to be right around my belly button (yes I know, its weird that my belly button and waist aren't on the same line) and on top of that - haha - I'm short. like 5'2".

so totally frusterating but the pattern is freaking adorable. sort of like gaucho pants I think

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 3/10/13 6:13 PM

Yes I don't like that either when that happens. For a while, they all got pretty good at, at least printing the actual garment measurements for things like bust, and hem width, and such on the back of the patterns, now though, they often seem to be going back in the opposite direction, and saying see inside instead.

I think they are going in the wrong direction with that. It drives me to actually pull all patterns of the drawers at the store, and rifle though and unfold them to try to get that info. Then have to try to refold nicely for the next person if I end up not buying them. I can do that, by years of experience. But, I bet everyone else may not be that careful. If it's really not on the pattern or the fold out, then I might be even driven to grab store rulers and measuring tapes and miss-use them even, at the pattern table, and just do my own measuring too. That is really going to be freaking them out there at that point.

I think they all need to put some of that stuff back on the actual back of the pattern envelopes, on all the cases where now it has suddenly gone missing.

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

Date: 3/11/13 7:04 AM

I agree, especially at the price of patterns if one cannot purchase it on sale. We need that information.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/11/13 7:33 AM

I sent a link to this discussion to McCall's, on the theory that we can rant all we want, but the company is the only one that can change things.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Jodi B.
star
Jodi B.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Saskatchewan CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/11/13 11:28 AM

It's even worse for me now that I moved back to Canada. At the fabric stores here, only the employees have access to the patterns, so I can't even look inside of it on my own to find that information. I don't know if that would be allowed or not.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Pattern envelopes -- Butterick/McCalls

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

McCall's 4440

photo
by: Kiwi Natio...

Review
New Look 6421

photo
by: myraminx

Review
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.