SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Custom Dress Forms from a Body Scan? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Custom Dress Forms from a Body Scan?
3D Scanner Unveiled at Conference
TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 3/11/13 1:04 PM

In one of our (many) threads about dress forms awhile back, someone mentioned 3D printers and wouldn't it be great if we could get our own body scanned and get a 3D model exact to measure to use for a dress form? 3D printers have been around for a few years, we've just been waiting for a way to get our bodies modeled...

3D Scanner Unveiled.

I can see this traveling to sewing expos... "Print your custom dress form while you wait"...

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 3/11/13 1:19 PM

It was in my local newspaper last week that our Vo Tech school now has a 3D printer that can manufacture parts for whatever. The students can input any idea and it will print out the model (in a hard plastic I believe) in 3D form.

I'd love to use that for a dress form!

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 3/11/13 1:21 PM

3D scanning for patterns has also been around a while. Unique was the first to do this, and yes, their scanner travelled around. However, the resulting patterns were very off according to those who tried them. They took a blood bath on the internet about how bad the patterns were, how the customer service sucked, etc. You know how bad it can get!!

The technology is much better now, and it's time someone else came out with this for garment sewers. I used Unique (called Fit Me now), but I did manual measurements.

ETA: Sorry, I thought you were talking about patterns, not dressforms. What a cool idea! I doubt you could make a life sized object any time soon, but what a great idea! Right now, it would likely be as expensive as one of those custom jobs.
-- Edited on 3/11/13 1:23 PM --

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/11/13 2:51 PM

I am the person who suggested using 3D printers and body scanners to get a custom 3D dress form a couple of months ago in a thread I started called "What sewing notions should be invented?".

It's true 3D printers have been around for a few years and 3D scanners, too. It's also true that the 3D scanners that were used for generating patterns a few years ago did not produce good results.

In order for 3D dress forms to be successful, you'd have to have a scanner that could produce a reliable, exact reading of the body. You'd also have to have a 3D printer that could produce an exact copy of an individual's torso or lower half(at about 98% scale to allow for a padded stretchy cover). The plastic material should be pinnable to allow for draping. There should also be a weighted base that would allow the form to be used without toppling over.

If I were twenty or thirty instead of sixty and more technically inclined, I'd get involved in this effort because I know there'd be a huge market for a low cost, 3D custom dress form among all levels of hobby garment sewers, from raw beginner to advanced. Think of how helpful it would have been to have an exact copy of your figure when you were just starting to sew. And whenever your figure changed, you could simply recycle the plastic and get a new scan and a new form.

It's a no brainer. The 3D printer dress form is coming -- the only question is when.

-- Edited on 3/11/13 2:57 PM --

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 3/12/13 1:02 PM

Hubby uses a 3Dprinter at work to design things but when asked, he thought a dressform created by the 3D printer wouldn't be cost effective.
Guess we have to wait.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to NM gal <<

Date: 3/12/13 2:48 PM

How long does your husband think it will take for 3D printing to be able to produce a cost effective, custom dress form -- five years, ten years?

------

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 3/18/13 11:37 PM

Wow, he doesn't know. The tech is new even tho it's been around. They're using it for small stuff right now & what he does is small stuff. He'll ask around.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 3/19/13 11:22 AM

3d printed dress forms may come sooner that we think. Here's a couple of links to items about making buildings with 3d printers -

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/real-estate/dutch-architect-build-house-3d-printer-article-1.1249479

and this video starting at 4 minutes shows an animation of building a whole house, and at 6:45 shows a real printer building a wall.
http://www.wimp.com/printerhouse/

I wonder if the biggest things slowing the technology are finding people to design for and use them, finding the right materials for various tasks, and an appropriately sized printer for the job and material.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to NM gal <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/19/13 12:47 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the first 3d dress forms will be available in three or four years. By 2020, the price will have dropped enough so that almost everyone who wants one will have one. I say this for two reasons. First, 3d technology (and awareness of it) is increasing rapidly. Second the dress form could be assembled from smaller pieces that fit together like a puzzle. We just need to take our 2013 blinders off.

------

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 3/19/13 2:12 PM

Quote: nancy2001
... Second the dress form could be assembled from smaller pieces that fit together like a puzzle. ...

Yes, of course, that's a great idea! It wouldn't have occurred to me. The algorithm to split up the body solid model into "print"able chunks, and then to add a feature to each piece to make it lock together wouldn't be that difficult.

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Custom Dress Forms from a Body Scan?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

10 inch Serrated Edge Shears

More Info
Margo Handbag

Margo Handbag

More Info
Simplicity 9469

photo
by: arianamani...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.