SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > A trend I've noticed... ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
A trend I've noticed...
... and just now been confirmed.
jynclr
jynclr
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 12/20/11
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 3/12/13 3:25 PM

In Trendy World of Fast Fashion, Styles Aren't Made to Last

Where I can afford to shop I can't stand the clothes. I hate the way they look, the style, and just how cheap they are. SO. MUCH. KNIT! It used to be that sewing one's own clothing was far more economical. Not anymore. When you factor in the cost of time it takes to make a garment, it's cheaper to buy something rather than make it.

However, it is coming back around that it is better to make your own clothes. One of the trends I've noticed is just how thin material has become. Much of the styles are now "layering." What B.S. Really? It really is easier to get someone to spend $10 on 3 pieces of tops to "layer" rather than $30 for one top with quality material.

And THIS, folks, is why I'm sewing. To start making my own clothes. To get the styles and colors I want, with fabric that won't tear apart after one wash.

And now this. It is getting to a point that some clothing designers are proud to be so cheap.

Cheap Chic: Couture Comes to Discount Retailers

This annoys me. Greatly.

------
Evelyn: Pfaff Creative Performance
Helen V: Babylock Companion BL1550

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: A trend Ive noticed... Date: 3/12/13 4:02 PM

I heard that last night.

I ventured into an H&M that opened near where I live, and yech. Cheap, flimsy, ugly. Plus they didn't seem to carry my size (but I didn't try anything on to check it out, either -- was not worth taking off my clothes).

Irina Grace
Irina Grace
Advanced
Member since 7/18/11
Send Message

In reply to jynclr <<

Date: 3/12/13 6:17 PM

Quote: jynclr
In Trendy World of Fast Fashion, Styles Aren't Made to Last

Where I can afford to shop I can't stand the clothes. I hate the way they look, the style, and just how cheap they are. SO. MUCH. KNIT! It used to be that sewing one's own clothing was far more economical. Not anymore. When you factor in the cost of time it takes to make a garment, it's cheaper to buy something rather than make it.

However, it is coming back around that it is better to make your own clothes. One of the trends I've noticed is just how thin material has become. Much of the styles are now "layering." What B.S. Really? It really is easier to get someone to spend $10 on 3 pieces of tops to "layer" rather than $30 for one top with quality material.

And THIS, folks, is why I'm sewing. To start making my own clothes. To get the styles and colors I want, with fabric that won't tear apart after one wash.

And now this. It is getting to a point that some clothing designers are proud to be so cheap.

Cheap Chic: Couture Comes to Discount Retailers

This annoys me. Greatly.

Absolutely agree with you. That's why I sewing my clothes too. I love well fitted garments made of nice quality fabrics... I cannot fund it in the world of "disposable/one season/cheap fashions". Of course, I am sure, I can find well made garments somewhere in a very high-end but it is so expensive, I cannot afford it anyway, even on sale. Sewing my own clothes gives so much more possibilities. Now I can wear clothes from italian and french fabrics.I learned how to draft my own basic fitted dress pattern from an old russian sewing book (Russian is my first language). It is completely different filling to wear a dress that is made-to -your-measurements.

------
Irina Grace
English is my Second Language

AtiyaAfi
AtiyaAfi
New York USA
Member since 5/23/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: A trend Ive noticed... Date: 3/12/13 9:00 PM

I love to sew and have been sewing my own clothes since I was little (age unknown, seems I always knew how to sew). I'm short and being short when I sew I can get clothes to look well on me. I'd rather sew something nice from scratch than to try and make a RTW garment fit me. I also have sensitive skin and a lot of fabrics irritate me. Yes, I do 'buy' but it has to be a great deal. Like the $400 jacket I got once at an up-scale clothing thrift store for $20. I'd have to be crazy to have passed this up - the workmanship alone plus the cost of the fabric I just couldn't beat $20! Don't think 'rich' people always pay full price for things. Why some people find it better to purchase clothing is the price of fabric. By the time you buy the fabric and everything you need to make the garment, you could purchase something similar for less - but, it won't be quality and made very well even if you go to the high end sections of the department store. Chanel or Dior haute couture is not Chanel/Dior RTW!

I also sew because I'm not locked into the fad/style of the day - I don't like looking like everybody. I have my own look that's me and my clothes fit well. Plus I can buy color and not be limited to black, brown, beige, gray, sometimes red. Except for the red, these are not my best colors. I just love sewing!

-- Edited on 3/12/13 9:05 PM --

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Subject: A trend Ive noticed... Date: 3/12/13 9:06 PM

I thought it was just Macy's ect but if you go online ,even the most expensive stores with $400 for a blouse are mostly all synthetics.Suits are rayon blends even wool coats are part nylon.Its like the shoes, $175 for a pair of man-made flats?You could find the same thing at any cheap shoe store for $15. This just does not compute with my brain.The price has nothing to do with the quality only the name brand or label matters.I don't think in this economy women will be willing to part with so much cash to be stylish much longer especially when the manufacturers seem to capitalize on the lack of durability of the items and the rapid trend changes.But if you can dress as good or bad as the expensive stores by shopping for knockoffs or imitations of the brand names,why would you spend $$$?And why would the folks who buy expensive clothes think they are better dressed when its the same synthetic materials?I really sense that people who sew are tired of the whole game because they are not movie stars or royalty,they are not amused by being urged to wear strange basically plastic clothes that don't fit ,don't keep you warm or cool,and self-destruct by some unknown expiration date

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: A trend Ive noticed... Date: 3/13/13 4:32 AM

My hope is that these fashion designers don't drive up the cheap prices. I do shop at Target, Pennys and outlets stores occasionally for RTW that fits in styles that look good on me. Sometimes I like a style but then not on me.
Even if I don't like the poor quality fabric it is often cheaper to buy a sale or cheap item than it is to buy a printed pattern. I end tranferring a tissue pattern to sturdier paper anywat once adjusted. Cloning RTW is not difficult. I just unsew the pieces and transfer to paper. No pattern alterations, yeah!! But finding quality fabric is hit or miss.
-- Edited on 3/13/13 9:09 PM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

bluefly
star
bluefly  Friend of PR
Georgia USA
Member since 8/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Subject: A trend Ive noticed... Date: 3/13/13 7:26 AM

I agree and sew my own. However, I am starting to see that fabrics offered for sale at my usual sources are also the thin, see through. I don't see where see through layering is a good look. I hope I can continue to find some decent weight fabrics.

------
"Let's make the most of this day"
bluefly

fluff

fluff
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/4/04
Send Message

In reply to bluefly <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/13/13 9:07 AM

Oh, do I agree with you! I have been so disappointed recently at the number of fabrics--particularly knits--that would need a lining in order to not look obscene. That's one reason I have been afraid to buy fabric online; I'm always concerned that it will be too see-through.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to fluff <<

Date: 3/13/13 9:28 AM

Someone said it's blamed on World cotton prices,
but I think they have gotten the young generation used to
throw-away quality. They don't remember having that favorite Classic blazer for 20+ years.
Have you noticed the terrible-quality Ribbing on nice sweaters?

Trouble is, there are few knits locally and $20 yd. isn't always great. Those in the industry who know--are Knits so much harder to produce than all the LOUD but affordable hard-to-sew Silkies they are giving us?

I sewed a pre-washed challis skirt from older stash and then it shredded at the seams after stitching, would have returned it but didn't know where. I am awaiting garage-sale season, where last summer I scored some quality vintage pieces from estates or Made in USA.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<
thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 3/13/13 9:43 AM

Quote:
I think they have gotten the young generation used to
throw-away quality.

And not just the young generation, and not just when it comes to clothing. We've become a throw-away society in pretty much every way.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> A trend I've noticed...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 1801

photo
by: carrie1858...

Review
Fit For Real People DVD

Fit For Real People DVD

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Buy Now
McCall's 6513

photo
by: Sue Parrot...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.