SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > simple wedding dress fabric helps ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
simple wedding dress fabric helps
minisugar
minisugar
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/12/13 7:29 PM

I'm getting married next month in Vegas, and my friend is making me this peasant dress as my wedding dress: https://www.etsy.com/listing/83220653/easy-peasant-dress-sewing-pattern-sis

However, I don't want it out of cotton - I want it a little nice, and not get too wrinkly. But I plan on going out partying all night so I want something comfortable and not get too hot in. I was planning on doing a plain bodice and skirt, and maybe add an overlay of lace on the skirt part. Does anyone have any suggestions of fabric types? Would charmeuse work?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 3/13/13 8:07 PM

I find silk charmeuse hotter than crepe de chine or georgette. Maybe it's because it's more tightly woven.

A nice knit might work. Some of them are dressy. Maybe a pretty mesh knit.

------
Debbie

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 3/13/13 11:25 PM

I find silk crepe is my favorite for hot weather clothes so that might be an option for your dress.
I would stay away from poly if you want to stay cool.

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

Date: 3/14/13 0:14 AM

There is a silk/cotton blend called Silk Radiance.It comes in a beautiful champagne color and white too. It has a really silky sheen finish but acts more like cotton. i sewed a pair of evening pants to wear in L A ,it was 100 degrees, but the pants were light and cool.

minisugar
minisugar
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to carry <<

Date: 3/14/13 12:14 PM

@carry - I saw that fabric online, was concerned it might be a little too heavy - but good to know.

Thanks everyone for the responses!
-- Edited on 3/14/13 12:14 PM --

Tall Mary

Tall Mary  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 12/7/04
Send Message

Date: 3/17/13 0:18 AM

I live in Las Vegas. By April it is starting to get warm, in the 80s but a little cooler at night. Every place is air-conditioned, sometimes overly so. You might consider making or bringing a jacket or wrap to go with the dress in case it is cold or too cool for you. April is a pretty time of year here.
Kathy

------
Sewing and reading about sewing are daily pleasures.
I hope to use up lots of stash in 2013.
2011-Sewing from Stash-SABLE

prostheticsgirl
star
prostheticsgirl
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 3/6/12
Send Message

Date: 3/17/13 9:29 AM

I love the silk/cotton idea, but if you think it's too heavy, maybe a rayon challis? It would have a nice drape which is essential for the pattern you chose, and is very breathable.

I agree about the AC in those places; it may be 100 degrees outside, but if you're inside, a jacket or wrap is often necessary

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 3/17/13 12:48 PM

That dress would be beautiful in a lightweight eyelet fabric, embroidered gauze, or textured rayon, all of which will resist wrinkling and have a lovely drape and flow. I have a similar piece done in a gorgeous bright white textured rayon, which you can see here (zoom in to get a better idea of the texture). I've found
PureSilks to be a good source for really pretty lightweight white fabrics (not just silk!).

If you're planning the dress to be any shade of white, you will definitely want to line it. Or at the very least, wear a nice full slip under it!

Congratulations!!

------
~Gem in the prairie

minisugar
minisugar
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 11:18 AM

Thank you all! The wedding will be outside in Vegas around 3pm. Thanks for all the suggestions, I plan on going to try and pet some of the silk radiance this evening (since one of my local quilt shops have it).

B

B
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

Date: 3/18/13 3:54 PM

Lots of good ideas. One of my favorites is crepe back satin (can use either side or trim with one side) found in many colors at Vogue Fabrics

It is nice to sew (except bias reflects light differently) and easy to wash and dry and looks so lovely (satin side used)!

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> simple wedding dress fabric helps

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

StyleArc Tiffany Blouse

photo
by: clothingen...

Review
9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

More Info
Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.