SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > where to get hook & eye to bustle wedding dress train ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
where to get hook & eye to bustle wedding dress train
nitsel
nitsel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/11
Send Message

Date: 3/13/13 10:41 PM

Does anyone know where I can order a hook & eye to use to bustle (hook up) the train on a wedding dress? I hear good reports on Wawak, but you have to order 144 sets (144?!!-LOL). I'd probably order 6 or 8, but I only need one set right now. It needs to be sturdy enough to hold a fairly heavy train.

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

Date: 3/14/13 0:20 AM

I've used a small fur closure hook but it was hidden under a lace motif that I left unsewn to the fabric at that spot.

nitsel
nitsel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/11
Send Message

In reply to carry <<

Date: 3/14/13 10:11 AM

That's a good idea, but on this dress, there aren't any "extras" that I could hide the hook or eye under, just all-over lace with no pleats or extra lace motifs. I've found fur hooks but only in black and brown. I'm hoping someone can point me to a source for white ones. She wants the train fastened to the outside of the dress, which eliminates using ribbon ties.

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/14/13 11:22 AM

I have left a button hole size hole in the center back seam to put the ribbons or other fastener through when the time comes, and that way everything is inside until then.

All of the gowns that I have bustled, I have used the largest silver hooks readily available, and sewn them on with upolstery thread. I also made thread loops.
I have never had a problem, except sometimes the attendants cannot find the attatchments, so now I put a small bit of embroidery cotton in a pastel colour on the wrong side of the skirt, were the attachments are, so they can check on the right side. Sounds a bit odd, but it works....This was done after I was at one of the weddings, and they had to call me to help. What I saw when I arrive was 2 bridesmaids under the dress and one on top...THEY HAD A FLASHLIGHT!!!!

Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

In reply to nitsel <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/14/13 2:04 PM

I have some white fur hooks .... PM me your address and I'll stick 2 sets in the mail to you. I can't remember where I found them, I'm sure I ordered on line.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to nitsel <<

Date: 3/15/13 1:46 PM

Quote: nitsel
That's a good idea, but on this dress, there aren't any "extras" that I could hide the hook or eye under, just all-over lace with no pleats or extra lace motifs. I've found fur hooks but only in black and brown. I'm hoping someone can point me to a source for white ones. She wants the train fastened to the outside of the dress, which eliminates using ribbon ties.

I did a short train this method and I used satin covered button and made thread crochet loops from buttonhole twist. The buttons were on a card at Joanns.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 3/15/13 1:49 PM

I also use the buttons and the crochet thread loops, with an applique ontop to "hide" the loop.

nitsel
nitsel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/15/13 11:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies, and special thanks to Kathi R for your kind offer! I have painted a large silver hook with white nail polish and plan to use a thread loop to hook it on to.
Extra note: The two wedding dresses that I'm altering right now are both all-over lace and are NOT strapless! One has wide lace bands over the shoulders and the other has a halter neck. The prom dress I worked on last week also had straps. I hope this means that strapless dresses are on the way out-they're hard to fit in the bodice and really aren't flattering on most girls. (IMHO, but I'm old, so what do I know about style? LOL)

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

In reply to nitsel <<

Date: 3/15/13 11:54 PM

I know... We had a long discussion elsewhere on how much the new non-strapless styles were appreciated and how long we had waited for the demise of all the,boobage and spillage.There really is nothing more flattering than a beautiful neckline,graceful sleeves. LOL about the bridesmaids with flashlights!

nitsel
nitsel  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/25/11
Send Message

In reply to Pamela R <<

Date: 3/16/13 8:14 PM

How funny! I guess you got them straightened out, after you stopped laughing? Marking where the attachments are on the wrong side is a good idea! I probably need to do that too.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> where to get hook & eye to bustle wedding dress train

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Butterick 4609

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Vogue Patterns 8663

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.