SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > New Home 446 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New Home 446
What do you know?
dsmasuda
dsmasuda
Intermediate
Member since 8/20/09
Send Message

Date: 3/16/13 2:57 PM

I have an opportunity to obtain a New Home (Janome) 446 and can't find any review. Is anyone out there familiar with this model and can tell me if worth purchasing? $200 (with cabinet) and in pristine condition.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 3/16/13 3:07 PM

This is some years old - as in decades, and although probably a fine solid machine, for myself I find it 100 dollars overpriced. This is going to depend on your liking the machine - have you tried it? I am notoriously wary of overpriced vintage machines, so if it is worth it to you and you like these machines and it is pristine, well there ya go. Good luck!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/16/13 3:55 PM

Hey Muffet, I just googled this machine and IMO, you are just toooooo generous. I'd peg that machine as 40+ yrs old. At least.

I'm sure if it is complete, it will be a fine stitcher, but paying more than $50 for any Japanese machine of that vintage is rather a stretch. If the seller paid me $20 to take it off their property, it may be a fair trade.

Jennifer in Calgary

zanylady
star
zanylady  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 5/6/09
Send Message

Date: 3/16/13 5:47 PM

What does "pristine condition" mean?If it has everything, that means manual, attachments etc. and has been serviced very recently, like when they put it up for sale and if it does do everything its supposed to do. . With the cabinet (if its in good shape) I would probably sell it for $65. I do sell machines at a flea market. With Baltimore or Washington buyers I could probably $85 but in York I would ask $75 and come down to $65.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/17/13 7:48 AM

That's a really fun machine. My janome dealer has fondest memories of it and remembers when it was new. The street value is low ...in DFW, it'd go for $75-ish. If you really love it....it isn't foolish either to acquire it, appreciate it, enjoy it and pass it on when you're ready! Try offering less-- IF CL item, they expect it. If via dealer, same is true. We over-pay for the brand new machines too. There's about the same % of mark-up involved even before tax and those don't come with furniture attached.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to sewfrequent <<

Date: 3/17/13 10:50 PM

Yup - you all are right as I would never pay any more than 75 probably for an old machine of any kind, and maybe I might spring for 150 for a featherweight but no more. Really. This one could be a great machine, but what everyone says is fair! ;)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to dsmasuda <<

Date: 3/17/13 11:02 PM

Hi,in my neck of the woods I have seen the New Home 446 in a cabinet as well as other old New Home brand sewing machines for sale at thrift stores between 25-50 dollars,depending on the condition.

I saw an Elna 64 in a cabinet for 20 dollars.I bought the Elna sewing machine,because I needed all the cams and accessories for another vintage Elna model and left the cabinet at the thrift store.

New Home 446

THX1141
THX1141
Member since 3/23/13
Send Message

Date: 3/23/13 7:24 PM

As it happens, I was looking at a New Home 446 on eBay where I live for 20 (not pristine but reported as working). I don't know a thing about sewing (I'm a 28 year-old male and we did have sewing lessons at school but they were pretty basic and the shorts I made were awful). Anyway, I want to sew hems in a curtain swag that I'm making for my mother's bedroom and I don't much fancy doing it by hand. I'd also like to be able to repair some of my shirts and jeans in some creative way. Would I be likely to regret getting such a basic machine? What stitches would I be likely to miss from a newer machine?

There's also a 676 on eBay. Both are near where I live which would make for convenient collection.

The photo bellow is from the 446 eBay listing - what are those things? Do modern machines use them? Thanks you guys!

-- Edited on 3/23/13 7:28 PM --

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to THX1141 <<

Date: 3/23/13 9:43 PM

I think this machine would be ideal for the uses you mention, and you can't beat that price. The main stitches you would probably find on modern machines that this one cannot do are what we call "reverse motion" stitches - where the stitch mechanism controls the back/forth movement of the feed dogs, as well as the side-to-side movement of the needle. Such stitches are not necessary for basic sewing, although many folks do love them. Those thingies in the box you show are stitch cams, which are mounted on a holder on the machine to make the fancy stitches illustrated on their tops. Modern machines generally use computers to drive the stitch mechanisms, although mechanical machines would have a built-in camstack to made a variety of stitches, but usually not that many.

Jennifer in Calgary

THX1141
THX1141
Member since 3/23/13
Send Message

Date: 3/23/13 10:26 PM

Thanks Jennifer, I really appreciate your advice!
-- Edited on 3/23/13 10:26 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> New Home 446

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Buy Now
DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

DVD - Will this fabric work for you?

Buy Now
Contest Mini Wardrobe Contest

photo
by: Sew Whatev...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.